"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Hey there Brad, Nice to "see" you again my friend, welcome back mate, Long Time!

Steve- that I*XL is a real nice example of exemplary workmanship that these cutlers had in the day, just beautiful.

Hey there Brad, Nice to "see" you again my friend, welcome back mate, Long Time!

Steve- that I*XL is a real nice example of exemplary workmanship that these cutlers had in the day, just beautiful.

Good to hear from you as well my friend. Been fighting that wretched disease the last couple of years. All is well now, or so it seems. Heard or read you guys had another event, maybe not as bad as the last, at Christ Church area, or somewhere in the vicinity. Hope all was well for you, family and others there.

I haven't posted any knives in this thread for quite awhile so I think I have not shown this Wostenholm before.

I have been absent for awhile myself. Glad to see see some of the old posters still around. This is the GREATEST THREAD of them all. Obviously IMHO!

I haven't posted any knives in this thread for quite awhile so I think I have not shown this Wostenholm before.

DSC_2082%202_zpsd8sfir86.jpg

DSC_2083%202_zpskeojq5it.jpg

DSC_2084%202_zps3wimsi09.jpg

Nice IXL, and wonderful warm handle colors.

Here is an old pearl whittler from "Slater Brothers" which was formed in 1858 in Sheffield. They used a neat trademark/blade stamp from 1876 to 1903 on many of their knives which was a bee hive.
This model also has nicely carved floral patterns on the pearl handles which does not show up well in pictures.

Beautiful knife, herder. Thank you for sharing it. :thumbup: Out of curiousity... what is the other item in the photo? Is it something for bee keeping?

...I admit that I also went back and stole another glance at that rare IXL. :)

Amazing collection!

Last edited:
As to spear blades in a serpentine frame, Robeson made a couple. Hope I'm not violating the thread, as these are not Sheffield knives.

This 4" "Carpenter's Knife" with green onyx celluloid handles probably dates 1910 - 1916 or so, as they made the same knife with a Terrier stamping and those are the inclusive dates for that brand.

This bone handled stockman is 4" long.

I've seen this one with bone handles and the "6" in the pattern number calls for that, so this one was probably made circa WWII.

As usual, remarkable examples of what we are considering Charles. I know nobody considers this thread deviancy when you illustrate your point with these American knives.

What I would like to know is why it is more difficult to place Spears in a Serp frame? Is it the nesting aspect?

On a contemporary note, I seem to recall that GEC had problems with its River Boat 89 Whittler pattern when they tried Spear master, then they changed to Wharncliffe, or was it Clip? It's not Serp framed though.

Thanks, Will

Beautiful knife, herder. Thank you for sharing it. :thumbup: Out of curiousity... what is the other item in the photo? Is it something for bee keeping?

...I admit that I also went back and stole another glance at that rare IXL. :)

Amazing collection!

Thanks Jake, it is an old corkscrew from the early 1900s and is shown open next to this Wostenholm folder.

Two Joseph Rodgers, and a John Petty & Sons.

Sheffield%20I%20Heart%201_zpscqncxarg.jpg

The pin and postcard are gifts from Jack B. The beads are several thousand years old, excavated from a Coast Salish midden!

Fantastic examples waynorth, and beautifully presented!!! Amazing that those beads are several thousand years old.
It may be that these old gray haired folders are overlooked by some, but they are certainly the corner stones of our wonderful modern day traditional folders.
Thanks for showing these incredible knives and artifacts!!!

+1 on both of those :) :thumbup:

Here is an old pearl whittler from "Slater Brothers" which was formed in 1858 in Sheffield. They used a neat trademark/blade stamp from 1876 to 1903 on many of their knives which was a bee hive.
This model also has nicely carved floral patterns on the pearl handles which does not show up well in pictures.

I was on the phone to our friend Cambertree earlier, directing him to the old Slater works :) We will be spending a couple of days in Sheffield, so you will all be very much in our thoughts, wish we could all be there together :)

Great-looking IXL Herder :thumbup:

Two Joseph Rodgers, and a John Petty & Sons.

Sheffield%20I%20Heart%201_zpscqncxarg.jpg

The pin and postcard are gifts from Jack B. The beads are several thousand years old, excavated from a Coast Salish midden!

You make that John Petty look better than I ever did Charlie :) I love those beads :thumbup:

When I return from Sheffield, I'll try to dig out some pics to contribute to this thread, but for now, here's a few of my George Butler Rase Knife :thumbup:

When I return from Sheffield, I'll try to dig out some pics to contribute to this thread, but for now, here's a few of my George Butler Rase Knife :thumbup:

I haven't seen many race knives with 2 blades. Interesting to see that photo of the well :thumbup:

Jack- that is a remarkable knife my friend, in every way- Workmanship- Quality Stag- Old and oh-so- beautiful. I just love those old stampings.

S-K a beautiful example as well!
!

Jack and Smiling Knife ; Those rase knives are something always looked for but never seen with nice Stag . Just a treat for my old eyes gentlemen .
Thank Sirs .

Harry

Wonderful timber scribes Jack and S-K. Always neat to see unique blades and tools in folding form.

I was on the phone to our friend Cambertree earlier, directing him to the old Slater works :) We will be spending a couple of days in Sheffield, so you will all be very much in our thoughts, wish we could all be there together :)
]

I thought you might like to see the Slater Bros. Works as they stand in Sheffield today:

Back