"Old Knives"

Did you mean 06263? That's the Eisenhower Pen. I'll admit it looks very similar but this knife predates stamped pattern # and was certainly made well before Eisenhower was POTUS. This is the issue with the knife, it's an enigma. There are similar knives but none exactly like it and I take it to every show and ask the experts who always tell me they'll have to get back to me and change the subject.

its a small senator pen.. is it about 2 3/4"? that would be model 053 according to Steve Pfeiffer's book Collecting Case Knives

the 63 model is called an "Eisenhower", also a senator, but it is 3 1/8"

the 53 model is 3 1/4"

you will have to measure your knife to figure it out.

Last edited:
It's 3 1/8" closed

oMF36cS.jpg

I guess you can call it whatever you want.. still looks like stag to me

It's not like that at all. George, nobody wants to be accurate more than me, I want to know when and what, I need an explanation for a blade that was factory ground so thin and with a HT that allows the blade to bend to nearly 90* without taking a set or snappin'. It's a quest for accurate information that elicits interestin' conversations trying to get to the truth. I felt like you got upset or cop a little attitude because I questioned your statements. I've owned this knife and been seeking answers for nearly 30 years and if I woulda took the first opinion I was given I woulda been callin' it an Eisenhower with mouldy jigged bone scales and sold it to the guy at my first loca show for $15. We all want to learn and I certainly can still be taught many things about knives one of which is how to tell old bone from old stag.

I was enjoyin' the discussion with you and you had me lookin' up more information as information,(things) change daily on the internet. This is why I don't spend all my time on this knife. I would love to continue investigating this knife some more and if you have no interest and care to move on by all means do and we'll talk again I'm certain of that. No hard feelings here and if I misinterpreted your exit from the conversation with the above reply of
I guess you can call it whatever you want.. still looks like stag to me
my mistake and I apologize.

I know when it comes to things I'm passionate about I can come across as confrontational but all I want is accurate info so when I discuss things, in this case knives in particular, I'm providing facts as accurate as I had at the moment. If I disagree I try to make the other person(s) see what I see and bring them into my train of thought. On the other side of that, I listen to what other people say, if I don't understand or see it their way I'll ask to have it explained in another way. Sometimes all it takes is another angle or example and I see their side of it. That's how I learn, I even do more research when someone challenges my information/interpretation of the facts as I saw them. I'm always eager to update my information/knowledge database/resources. If you would like to help me do some more detective work it'll be much appreciated and we can have fun or if not we can move on. :)

Here's a few more shots of the scales and the thin fillet blade, notice the wide swedge on the secondary pen blade, it's a few swipes on a stone from becomin' a sharpened false edge.

If anyone has a way to determine if the scales are bone or antler I'd be glad to listen and try as long as it's non destructive testing.

ocmavc7.jpg

w0XHWms.jpg

7tP3djb.jpg

nLqiHun.jpg

fbUCym3.jpg

ocx76s1.jpg

013.jpg

018-2.jpg

028-2.jpg

037.jpg

054.jpg

058.jpg

036-1.jpg

Anyone who wants to help please join in and if you need more info or pics just ask.

If the mods think this might be better served in it's own thread let e know and I'll start one but I think with all the old knife aficionados that follow and post here, I might get a more diverse group of theories and answers.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's nearly 70* out, sunny and gorgeous so I have spring cleaning calling me. Have a great day everyone and my knife today is the old Yellow Celluloid Imperial Stockman with the grooved slant bolsters on the bottom right.

brg4guS.jpg

009-7.jpg

Either way Ted, that knife is a real dandy, and should be a proud member in any collection! Great character in those scales no matter the make.
But if you do find out the more elusive factors of which model it is, please post! :thumbup:

Ted and George, Thank you for the compliment on my Clauss.

TinyDog, that's a GREAT Electrric Cut Co!!! I have a couple Electrics and have only seen a couple of different frames. Your Jumbo Trapper is a fantastic piece, thanks for showing it.

T. Erdelyi - whoa man, I think you are taking my post way wrong... it's all good man. whew

a pen blade ground that thin is nothing unheard of... if you look at the little sleeveboard I posted earlier- it is green bone from the tested era.. it is a small knife (2 3/4") and has a pen blade just as thin as yours... it has to be that thin because it is such a small knife with a single thin back spring (1/16").... I'm not gonna risk breaking or bending it just to see how "flexible" it is.

if you can't tell the difference between jigged bone and stag, there is not much I can do to help you understand.

http://i.imgur.com/ApGD0iZ.jpg (pic gets bigger if you click on it) notice the swedge on the pen blade. it is a really thin blade.

All good George, it's all about education and passing on of information. Like I said before, I have lots to still learn and we'll talk again sir. :)

e74a2565cb93f22623f9a5e93c7db698.jpg
789992c9739ada954e1d22997342f54c.jpg

78addff7c1d14e77ec10edee308dda2d.jpg

Schrade Walden, pre Swindon key is about all I know as for date. The handle looks almost like bone, harder and glossier than the plastic I'm familiar with, but the color is too consistent for bone though.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

That large prime online retail site has a super eraser rust eraser I used to remove rust on an old case granddaddy Barlow works really well and doesn't polish it at all. Blade and bolsters still have a bit of patina and a satiny look to them. But 0000 steel wool and some mineral oil should work too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nice old KA-BAR equal end jack with pretty full blades. I'm best to leave it alone right, aside from any active rust? What would be the best course of action for active rust? Light steel wool with mineral oil?

2s9x2fa.jpg

I'm sorry to have to tell you that that knife is beyond repair. I recommend sending it to me for proper quarantine and disposal before it infects your other knives.

:D

Seriously, nice find. :thumbup: I have stopped active rust by gently rubbing with fine steel wool and oil. I recently read that it's better to use the steel wool dry, then blow away the rust and wipe with oil. You can use wooden coffee stirrers to scrub the inside of the backsprings with mineral oil or WD-40.

I have this neat old Union Razor Co. Tidioute PA jack knife that unfortunately someone removed the broken pen blade probably out of necessity as back then these were functional tools and squashed it down. Maybe one day down the line after a lot of practice, I will drill out the pins, straighten out the brass liners and remove a layer. This knife just looks the part and would be cool to photograph.
29mas5y.jpg

107rmu1.jpg

2e4geh2.jpg

I have this neat old Union Razor Co. Tidioute PA jack knife that unfortunately someone removed the broken pen blade probably out of necessity as back then these were functional tools and squashed it down. Maybe one day down the line after a lot of practice, I will drill out the pins, straighten out the brass liners and remove a layer. This knife just looks the part and would be cool to photograph.
29mas5y.jpg

107rmu1.jpg

2e4geh2.jpg

Wonderful Blade and Beautiful bone..... That goes go way back early 1900's significant history... Very Nice

My thoughts if mine.... Leave it as it is, it has a lot to say and that to me is one of the more appealing aspects of these tools. Because the fact that pocket knife collecting did not even exist until roughly 56 years after that knife was constructed. That is exactly what makes that one have some special history

Not trash by any means! Glad you held onto it, Its hard when we all see such pretty knives, but the ugly ones have so much more to say;) But then that is beautiful!!! Tiny Dog

Back