"Old Knives"

Lloyd, I'm glad for whatever it is that has enabled you to assemble such a wonderful group of knives. Seeing them today has put a smile on my face and I thank you for that. I'm sure I'll be revisiting your post to get a look at those beauties again and again... they're that special! -James

Last edited:
Two nice ones Herder an Ramrodmb.

Herder that Easy Opener is simply Stunning. What a great Knife.

Ramrodmb - I like that Knife very much. Hope this isn't an offending question- the Main Clip point - is that original or has it slightly been moded?
What a great Histiry piece - I can't imagine too many of them around ?

Thanks for showing us guys.

Campbellclanman, No offense at all. :thumbsup: I believe the main clip point is indeed original. I know exactly what you mean, as it is shaped a bit different than the usual clip point and the nick is oddly spaced. All of the pictures I have seen have the same clip point. It also fills the space when closed, I think it is basically a full blade in regards to length and shape. I can't imagine there are too many surviving, I wonder how many were made?

My mom came across this little Puukko, which was her father's, a few months ago and sent it my way. It was in pretty bad shape, with a solid layer of surface rust from tip to tang. I did some research and determined it probably wasn't anything special enough to preserve in that state, so I decided to clean it up. I used Hoppe's and a few grits of wet/dry paper, and took off just enough to remove the rust while minimizing the loss of good steel.

Grandpa's pukko after by MaxArcherEDC, on Flickr

It takes and holds an edge quite nicely. Part of me wants to keep going and get it down to a nice uniform finish, but I think it's better that I keep it as-is and let it wear its history.

By the way, it's a bit of a mystery to me WHY he had a Puukko. We have no Finns in my family, and he was an Italian-American who grew up in a Pennsylvania mining town and moved to New Jersey after the war. He was an avid hunter and fisherman so maybe he ended up with it through that somehow.

Max, Awesome Puukko! Very special to have your Grandfathers knife! As to how he came up with it? Maybe he just knew a good knife when he saw it! I would treasure that!

Thanks all, and a couple of nice examples from Ramrodmb and Max Archer.

Thanks Herder!

Neal, what a wonderful knife, love that one.

Ramrodmb, I love those 10th Mountain knives. I've had one and regret selling it. I have seen (if my memory is correct) both a clip and spear for the main. I don't know if they were issued with both style blades or not?o_O

GREAT Pukko Max:thumbsup:

This came today, an old Utica in candy stripe celluloid. I absolutely love the old candy stripe covers. I know they're a gamble but one that's worth it to me. This is a solid knife but has seen blade reprofiling overtime. Still the blades are solid.
P1xl6D.jpg

e6IvxI.jpg

tLuhh7.jpg

U46p5u.jpg

Paulhilborn, Thanks! I think it's a special knife too. I don't believe I have seen the spear version. I will be watching for one now. That Candy stripe Utica just has something about it! Just beautiful!

Wonderful old knives Herder, RR, Max A and Paul!

Paul well worth the risk in my opinion. I am drawn to the candy stripe vintage handled folders like a moth to a flame:eek:
I have several and they are standouts in any vintage knife collection. Your looks to be in outstanding stable condition. Lloyd

Luger1952, Thank you! :thumbsup:

Grandpa's pukko after by MaxArcherEDC, on Flickr
By the way, it's a bit of a mystery to me WHY he had a Puukko. We have no Finns in my family, and he was an Italian-American who grew up in a Pennsylvania mining town and moved to New Jersey after the war. He was an avid hunter and fisherman so maybe he ended up with it through that somehow.
There was a puukko in "the boys' room" at my grandmother's house. The Lappish art on the Kalevala sheath made me think it was American Indian. Knowing now what it was, I figure Uncle Bill picked it up when he was a courier in Russia and thereabouts after WWII.

This came today, an old Utica in candy stripe celluloid. I absolutely love the old candy stripe covers. I know they're a gamble but one that's worth it to me. This is a solid knife but has seen blade reprofiling overtime. Still the blades are solid.
P1xl6D.jpg

e6IvxI.jpg

tLuhh7.jpg

U46p5u.jpg
Some of that celluloid is hard to resist.

I know we can't prevent or stop the breakdown if it's going to happen, but it occurred to me the other day, looking at an out-gassing knife in the $5 bowl, that putting the offender in a baggie with baking soda might neutralize the nitric acid and prevent some of the damage to the metals.

LongBlade, Thanks for the nice words.
WWII- The 10th mountain division was issued this knife with the added phillips screwdriver starting about 1942. Apparently the bindings on their skis used a phillips screw. Maybe someone can remember more about the story until I can check my books!
They traded the cap lifter for a sheepsfoot and added the 5th blade as a phillips driver. (On some models the phillips driver was welded to the bail.)
9F7ojXG.jpg

The bail is stamped U.S.
XpFEnph.jpg

Probably the most interesting military issue knife of ww2 in my opinion. Very nice.

Thank you for the reply Ramrodmb - I appreciate that very much, and I do admire that Knife in a BIG way, Camp/Scout Type Knives are fast becoming an interest of mine in a big way!

Again Paul- That Candy really is Candy to the eye- and speaking of that Lloyd my friend- as the others have said those cells bring light to the Forum matey!

I've been checking in on this thread periodically to learn more about the older traditionals. Quite a few gorgeous knives and great stories have been posted here! Big thank you to all of the previous contributors. I was inspired to take my first step into the "old knives" world.

Picked up a Remington Barlow with clip/pen blade combo. Wanted to use this first old knife purchase as a learning experience and starting reference point. Supposedly... the tang stamp puts this one as manufactured before WWII?

The Bad: The clip's pull is pretty light and blade is a tad loose. The pen is a real nail breaker. Almost too tough to open. It's on the verge of impractical to carry as a double blade because I wouldn't want to end up sans thumbnail somewhere.

The good: Love the size, color and condition of the covers. Plenty of life left on those blades. For its age and fluff and buff job, I'm guessing somewhere north of 70 years, it looks good. Minimal rust, ready for a new patina.

Apologies for the long post. If anyone would like to shed some more light on these old Remington Barlows I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

-Jake IMG_0619.jpgIMG_0620.jpgIMG_0621.jpgIMG_0622.jpg

I've been checking in on this thread periodically to learn more about the older traditionals. Quite a few gorgeous knives and great stories have been posted here! Big thank you to all of the previous contributors. I was inspired to take my first step into the "old knives" world.

Picked up a Remington Barlow with clip/pen blade combo. Wanted to use this first old knife purchase as a learning experience and starting reference point. Supposedly... the tang stamp puts this one as manufactured before WWII?

The Bad: The clip's pull is pretty light and blade is a tad loose. The pen is a real nail breaker. Almost too tough to open. It's on the verge of impractical to carry as a double blade because I wouldn't want to end up sans thumbnail somewhere.

The good: Love the size, color and condition of the covers. Plenty of life left on those blades. For its age and fluff and buff job, I'm guessing somewhere north of 70 years, it looks good. Minimal rust, ready for a new patina.

Apologies for the long post. If anyone would like to shed some more light on these old Remington Barlows I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

-Jake View attachment 712854View attachment 712855View attachment 712856View attachment 712857
Nice one. Remington sold their cutlery division to Pal Blade in 1940 or 41, and that doesn't look like a modern reproduction to me.

I cant get enough of these old Knives shown here- thank you for showing everyone!

Recently charlie showed his pristine 3 Lined Camillus Jack- well here is it's smaller brother- Charlie's a Model 12 a Swell End Jack and mine a 16 being an Equal Ender , and though not quite as tidy as Charlie's I am afraid still imo a beauty of a Knife- the Pen has a reasonable chunk out of it- but this Knife -apart from the Pens Flaw - is still in very nice condition, and as Charlie said Camillus sure knew how to make a great Quality knife as this is definitely one of them.......Beautiful bone, wonderful actions on this Jack...

I have recently shown quite a few of my knives here a few weeks ago- and I have a couple of these Stunning Spear Point Pal Easy openers such as this one here gifted to me by Mr. Hilborn......

Well recently I came across this pal Clip=Point, now this girls carries a Patina with attitude, Blades relatively Full- Old tape as you see still on the blades etc - but I have hardly - if ever seen a Clip Point Pal to go hand in Hand with my Spear Points... so I Grabbed this- because I will gently clean - without cleaning;) this Old Girl up and I feel it will come up quite nice and yet still carry heavy Patina once I am finished

Nice Old Wadsworth, I am a fan of Wadsworth- more often than not from them you will find a Stunning Knife- wonderfully Built with again more often than not quite Stunning Workmanship, this knife I think is certainly in this category....

Beautiful bolster Work- the Big Clip Point Locks open and the Pen blade must be pressed to be able to release the main from the open position.
I absolutely love the older Stamping on both blades Tangs XLNT

Duncan, those are some SWEET old vintage folders! Thanks for sharing. This thread just keeps getting better with each new page:thumbsup: Keep them coming my friends, Lloyd

Thank you Lloyd for the kind comments,
Paul has shown this incredible Old scout before- and can I be forgiven for showing this in the Scout/Camp Knife Thread after this- You somehow cant look away from the Alluring Peach Seed- somehow it has the Power to draw the Knife Collector closer-....closer...Closer.... then before you know it - it's too late and you are searching for more, well Paul seems to have that bug pretty badly- but somehow manages to let go of these beauties at times and actually GIFTS me this Stunning old Scout- as Paul knows just how these old Knives have got a hold of me.
Charlie helped Paul out when Paul first shared this lovely Old Scout with us- The Stampings "Buffalo" attracted our friend Charlie,
The Peachseed is to die for - Paul- this is just incredible and I simply cannot thank you enough for this prized addition to our scout Collection - note I said "our" :):thumbsup:

It's Hard to Follow up after a Knife such as beautiful as the Buffalo of Paul's, but if there was one that could do this and perhaps hold it's head up in such esteemed company- THIS is the Scout that could do it........

I must try to leave the Buffalo for now while I try to describe this knife as it is easy to look over a knife after viewing such amazing Peachseed- I get this everytime Philllll, Lloyd, Charlie, Augie etc post their stunning old finds, This Keen kutter simply is one outstanding knife.

The Bone is just lovely- just absolutely lovely, the Main Blade with it's Spear-point/Sabre Cut grind, the beautifully Marked blades- so clearly - the Walk and Talk- Oh man just the whole package- one very nice scout Knife here...

Another Fantastic Knife - again ( Sorry folks ) another Scout Knife, again another beautifully built piece....
Stamped "High Carbon Steel " on the Tang, and has "STAY SHARP" left over that you can still see as the main Etch, and under that "4 Blades", The main shows wear - , the walk and talk on this Knife is just amazing, The Lovely Shaped Spey captures me every time I see that kind of Blade, the Sheeps-foot is sturdy and shares nice Swedges with its Spey Brother, and of course where would a knife like this be without a Punch- be it a Spiral Punch at that- letting you know that Camillus blood runs through this one's Veins
The Bone is really Nice, it's Light in Colour But Interesting, - as if thats not enough- when you turn the Knife over the Middle Liner shows the Quality finish of Mill-work - This is one very nice Knife and It's a pleasure for me to look after this fantatsic Knife- along with it's peers to pass onto someone hopefully willing to take on the job......

Last edited:
Back