• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

PayPal Fees

Many sellers here will ask for 3.5-4% PayPal fees. This seems like a BS markup because PayPal makes clear the fees: 2.9% + $0.30

Why then do a lot of sellers bump the fee price up? Also, why not just use the calculator on your computer or phone when you're posting the sales thread and ask for the specific price you want?

People do it because they're parroting what they see other people do in their sales threads. It's a vicious circle. The same goes with phrases such as "CONUS only" (when USPS priority shipping costs exactly the same for non-contiguous states) and other such nonsense. People might try to come up with post hoc justifications for their ridiculous sales verbiage, but I'd guess that 95% of the time they've put no thought into the matter.

Sorry for the bitter tone; I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Bitter tone is welcome, at times :)
Yes I figured it was a lack of thought, still annoying though as it takes all of a minute to Google and read about PP fees and do the math. I make it a point to offer to pay the correct fee (I'd even go to 3%), I hope I never run into the guy who insists on the higher rate.

Rev, I don't feel like through 12 pages of forums posts, the first two pages were about Gift not G&S fees. I thank you for the quick offer of info, though.

What's left unsaid is that are also quite a few people who believe that cheating a service provider; in this case it's PayPal, is perfectly ok. They want to avail themselves of the services provided but want someone else to pay for it.

They rationalize it by saying that PayPal makes plenty of money and they won't miss a few dollars from some guy selling a few knives a couple times a year.

Of course these are the same people who will scream bloody murder if THEY feel cheated or taken advantage of.

They're thieves, nothing more.

The standard fees do not always apply - for example, if the account is based in another country - but, regardless, the seller is responsible for the fees, and should just build them into the posted price if the intent is to have them covered. No additional verbiage is needed, which makes things simpler for everybody. The price is ___.

Net to me, friends and family, forget about. I'd never buy from a thread like that.

Rev, I don't feel like through 12 pages of forums posts, the first two pages were about Gift not G&S fees. I thank you for the quick offer of info, though.

Gift and adding fees quite often belong in the same conversation.
Many times youll see the sellers give the buyer the option to add fees for G&S or pay as gift.

They will also say they take PayPal NET or PayPal plus fees and not mention gift. Whether intended to or not, it is a common way to to say youll take a gift payment without actually saying it.

I understand they are two related options, but I was more asking why the fees are inaccurate sometimes (alot of the times). 2.9%+$0.30 is not the same as 4%.

There have been a few stellar sellers asking for 5 or 6%. Not gonna happen.

Net to me, friends and family, forget about. I'd never buy from a thread like that.

Me either, If you buy something from a dealer online or flea bay and use pp there is no option for the F&F. The seller accepts this as part of doing business as the same with CC's Square, Apple Pay ect.... It protects both the buyer and seller and is certainly worth the extra 2.9%. The F&F option was just for that an easy way to send money to kids at college ect.

If someone even offers it in the exchange I pursue right on by. To me it is a way of skirting the system.

People do it because they're parroting what they see other people do in their sales threads. It's a vicious circle. The same goes with phrases such as "CONUS only" (when USPS priority shipping costs exactly the same for non-contiguous states) and other such nonsense. People might try to come up with post hoc justifications for their ridiculous sales verbiage, but I'd guess that 95% of the time they've put no thought into the matter.

Sorry for the bitter tone; I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

This is quite valid. I will be sure to rephrase from the above if/when I'm just parroting to, "USPS to all 50 States + PR" because they are all considered as Domestic shipping by the USPS. However if someone is using FedEx, UPS or other courier services, they may also have a valid point for stating CONUS only!

I Indicate CONUS only! As I do not want to ship outside this boundry, it has nothing to do with shipping costs, all my shipping costs is always included in the price. What does CONUS have to do with Paypal? Personally I think it is a good standard verbiage for folks who feel the same. Seems to be another subject. TD

I Indicate CONUS only! As I do not want to ship outside this boundry, it has nothing to do with shipping costs, all my shipping costs is always included in the price. What does CONUS have to do with Paypal? Personally I think it is a good standard verbiage for folks who feel the same. Seems to be another subject. TD

Well, why exclude your fellow Americans in Alaska and HI and our protectorate of PR, when it costs you nothing extra? I could see how this rubs some the wrong way :)

Well, why exclude your fellow Americans in Alaska and HI and our protectorate of PR, when it costs you nothing extra? I could see how this rubs some the wrong way :)

Because it is a shipping risk I choose not to take, Sorry you take offense to it,

Well I certainly dont care; my gripe is with PP fees inaccurately portrayed. I just said I can see why some would be rubbed the wrong way, namely Alaskans and Hawaiians.

Back