Performance: Forged vs Stock Removal

Roger, I love messing with you! Your so easy. Every time you open your mouth to put me down, I can go back and find where you said exactly the same type of things only in the other camp. Fair is fair Sir! Let the Games begin! Or not! Either way I'm having a great time!:D

Mike

You have 5 thousand plus posts to choose from Mike - go find one where I put down stock removal knives. Take your time. I'll be right here.

Roger

You have 5 thousand plus posts to choose from Mike - go find one where I put down stock removal knives. Take your time. I'll be right here.

Roger
Roger, its the personal attacks I find so quaint.

The remarks about
blacks smiths at NASA was in jest! humor! Making fun of this discussion for all of us. After all, read the first post in this long thread. The which is better part. I've got some terrible news for some here. These are only knives. Tools. No matter how far we put them up on a pedestal, still just tools. No matter which method, no matter how exotic the handle material, no mater how highly embellished. Still just tools. Plain and simple. All of this time wasted on arguing as to which is best is pure fantasy. It's all good. None is perfect!

God, I'm glad we don't argue about hammers and wrenches this way. Humm? Maybe carpenters and mechanics do. I never bothered asking!

I still love them much more than any thing in my tool box though +1 ! :D;)

Mike

Roger, its the personal attacks I find so quaint.

The remarks about
blacks smiths at NASA was in jest! humor! Making fun of this discussion for all of us. After all, read the first post in this long thread. The which is better part. I've got some terrible news for some here. These are only knives. Tools. No matter how far we put them up on a pedestal, still just tools. No matter which method, no matter how exotic the handle material, no mater how highly embellished. Still just tools. Plain and simple. All of this time wasted on arguing as to which is best is pure fantasy. It's all good. None is perfect!

God, I'm glad we don't argue about hammers and wrenches this way. Humm? Maybe carpenters and mechanics do. I never bothered asking!

I still love them much more than any thing in my tool box though +1 ! :D;)

Mike

Nice dodge, Mike. Your "jests" have a rather consistent theme, woudln't you say?

Roger

Fair enough - I'm not a knifemaker, just a geeky engineering type - which is the reason I get frustrated at the lack of consensus on definitions for the knife related terms so often used here. I guess I'll add forging to the list. But just for the record, true FSW of aluminum was patented in 1991, and steel just recently. There were companies doing friction welding prior to that, but it was not FSW (and I don't think those types of friction welding have all the benefits that FSW has).

http://www.key-to-steel.com/default.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&NM=219

Where's my answer to the Hartsfield question?? :)

Although you could get the answer directly from Phill, and this constitutes pretty serious thread drift, everything that I have ever seen and read indicates that Phill does nothing but stock removal on any of his blades, swords included.

He does his own heat treat, and this is where the hamon comes from.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks, STeven. Do you prefer a forged blade over S.R.?

For some things...I DO prefer a carbon steel forged blade over stock removal, for others, I really like ground stainless steel.

I like forged japanese style swords, in traditional mounts, primarily of shinogi zukuri (with ridgeline running mostly parallel) shape, with bo-hi for looks, or without for use....same thing with wakizashi and tanto....but I do have a carbon steel o-tanto that was flat ground and not forged...and it cuts like a machine. I will only buy forged Khukuris.

I like forged bowies with carbon steel and hamon, and VASTLY prefer my boot knives, and daggers to be of stainless steel, mirror finish stock removal construction.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

To STeven's point in my opinion, anyone who universally excludes one over the other is cutting (excuse the pun :D) themselves short.

Different knives demand, different processes and materials.

Exactly! Whew, I glad all that is over. Now back to the shop.

Hey, Any one notice the Friction Forging is done on a hugh high speed cnc mill?

talk about a melding of two worlds!

To STeven's point in my opinion, anyone who universally excludes one over the other is cutting (excuse the pun :D) themselves short.

Different knives demand, different processes and materials.

Oh, that was nice!:thumbup:;):D:thumbup:

One more point.
Generally I see that artists forge and hobbyists remove stock and that a lot of stock removal makers would rather forge but they don't have the facilities.

That's not to say a hobbyist isn't an artist as well and that full time artists don't remove stock but serious knife "artists" shape metal using forging as their main process .

Scott.

http://www.caribooblades.com

( and not all forgers are artists. :)

Last edited:
One more point.
Generally I see that artists forge and hobbyists remove stock and that a lot of stock removal makers would rather forge but they don't have the facilities.

That's not to say a hobbyist isn't an artist as well and that full time artists don't remove stock but serious knife "artists" shape metal using forging as their main process .

Scott.

Thats a pretty elitist point of view:rolleyes:

How many "serious knife artists" should we list that do stock removal?
Should we start a list?

The way a person defines art, will not change it's true nature.

agreed..but the point of the thread was performance. Now that we see no difference between the two, some still want to elevate forged blades
to a position above ones that are ground to shape with esoteric terms like "soul" .
We're not gods, and no matter how hard you beat it, yell at it, quench it in the blood of virgins alligned to magnetic north--you're never going to give a soul to it.
What I do belive, is that ALL of us being artists, impart part of our personality into that we make. The blade shape, grind lines, handle material and it's shape refect our personal tastes.

SShepherd, when I was an undergraduate in art school, some of my metalsmithing professors had a foot in the tail end of "The Old School". They used to say that, “Every time a metalsmith strikes a piece of metal with a hammer, or rubs it with a stone,... for a purpose, he imparts a small piece of “his essence”, or soul, into the metal“... of course this has nothing to do with physical performance.

According to everything I've read, the very first iron blades made by humans were from meteoritic iron through simple stock reduction. Stock reduction is primal! :)

Last edited:
One more point.

Scott.

Seems that you may have been reading threads at blade Forums a little too long. Go to any "Major Show".. Exactly the opposite is true. By a HUGE margin. I've been doing this for well over 30-35 years. Way before the resurgence in the forging movement. And I'm still considered a newbie!
The list of the top makers in the world. The really highly collectible top makers, who's work will instantly sell for double or more over what they charge is probably on the order of 10 to one. At least.

Not because the Forged knives are of any different quality, Its just even though we talk about forging being an old tradition, it mostly died out during the industrial revolution. Bill Moran was the one who brought it back with his claims of rediscovering Damascus. Of course, it was never lost. But it did bring it back to the attention of the American Consumer. I dare say, if not for all the excitement over Damascus, (Hammer Welded Steel) it would still be in the abyss.
Thankfully it is back alive and well. It is growing all the time. But it is far from mainstream as of yet. It still has a lot of ground to reclaim. Anything nostalgic has followers. And rightly so. As we loose a lot of tradition, and the honoring of the old ways as world marches on. It's nice to see some of the finer things of by gone days honored and cherished. But to say that it is at the forefront is naive, and living in the mist of the past.

Contrary to what some would have you believe, I love forged blades. For their attempt to carry us back to a better time. It is this same feeling we have for them that bring in words such as Soul. Spirit. It is our feelings. Our ties with the past.

I love horses, For the same reason. Just as much as a fast car. My wife rides horses. I race cars. But it would be a little off the say that horses are more popular. I like them a little more, but they are out numbered by automobiles by a few hundred million I would think. They are both what they are. To say one is better than the other is a little silly. Each fills a role. Each is better for what it is. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Mike

Last year, I taught Double edge grinding at a hammer in at Johnny stouts shop. There were several top makers there. Each of a different discipline. We got into a huge argument as to which was better. And then the fight broke out!:eek: Dean was hitting me over the head with a hammer. And I broke a perfectly good Burr King grinder throwing it at him!:mad:
Well not really! In fact we all had a blast.

There was Allen El. ( His last name gives me a fit trying to spell it correctly),. Teaching The Pantograph Mill. on his exotic ultra modern folders.

Harvey Dean on handle fitment, and guard fitment.

Bill Rupel on Slip Joints. Fit and function.

A very talented forger, who my old mind cant remember the name at the moment. (Sorry guy. I'm getting old!)

I taught double edge grinding, and guard fitting and soldering.

It was a Great Day! We had a very large group of students. Some new to the craft. Some an old hand.

So what did the makers from the different disciplines talk about?

Who makes the best belts of a given grit type. For grinding. For finishing. For hogging.

What grinders run the smoothest over a long day in the shop.
Which tracks the best. Holds up well.

Different techniques of finishing many different handle materials.

Adhesives. Buffing wheels. Carbides, drills- Hss vs-cobalt, and the cost effectiveness.

Shippers, Insurance on shipping.

Sheath makers. Leather suppliers, steel suppliers,

Shows, traveling, where to eat at different shows, and you guessed it.

Collectors and all the misconceptions.

Not once did the question come up as to what was Superior. Why? Because we all do this for a living. We are all professionals. We already know the answer. It has been answered over and over again over a long period of time.

News flash. There in no answer other than there is no Superior way to make a knife . It depends soley on the skill of the Craftsman. We are Craftsman. Very few of us, very few of us call ourselves Artist. This is a label the public bestows on makers who's work they find exceptional. We are craftsmen first and foremost. We are honored to be called Artist by some. But are no where arrogant enough to bestow that Title on Ourselves.

So why the discussion on collectors, because they are the great variable. So many of the demands so prevalent to day are to satisfy the collectors. At our level, using knives rarely get used. It is a sad statement, but true. Heck, we could probably make them out of ALU. and get away with it. Or super cheap steel. But we don't and won't. We try to produce the very best product we possibly can. This is why our knives bring more than the average makers does. Many years of quality that shows.

So where does the "what is better?" come from . We all agree. It is not only old myths and misconceptions, but to a large extent, due to the collectors. they really have no clue as to how or why we do why what we do. They see the Art side of it. The polished bladed, and polished makers at the shows. Not the dirty shop, and filthy maker in the mist if creating another Tool!

Each of them must justify what they collect. What they put their money in. Some do it for the pleasure of collecting. Owning something unique. Many do it to turn a profit. More so now days than ever. In fact we have one poster here a B/F that can talk about nothing else but profit and how to make more. (So far, than goodness he isn't in this one). To make a profit, prices have to be justified. Many times double to more of what the maker charges. This is where the Better or Superior comes in. You see this at every level.

You can go to a small gun show, and there will always be a gun dealer that will have a hand made knife for sale and claim that the maker is the best there is. Ask the same dealer what he thinks about Bob Loveless. D'Alton Holder, Jerry Fisk, Ron Lake. All you will get is a blank stare. But what he is selling the "VERY BEST THAT MONEY CAN BUY". Never mind that you are a pro in the knife business and have never heard of this guy. Not to mention that the blade is a kit blade with terrible fit and finish. And don't bother introducing your self. The sell has never heard of you either! ( If you screw up and tell him you make knives, the first thing out of his mouth is So you make home make knives? :rolleyes:0

WE see the same thing at major Knife Shows. But at a different level.

The tactical dealer will tell every one who Will listen, that the knives by so and so can chop through a cinder block and still shave. Then tell you how useless a Art Knife is.

The Art Knife dealer Will put down the Tacticles.

The collectors of Stock removal will tell you why the latest wonder steel is Superior, and any knife make from it, from ****maker will go up in value more that any other.

Same with the Forged Knife Collectors. Only the Forged knife has tradition, heart, soul.

The Guild Knife Collectors. Only Guild Knives will go up and hold their value!

Same with the ABS Collectors. You will hear, Yeah, he does an OK job, but he isn't a MS.

( Now before someone gets offended, and gets on my case, "JF", let me say that it is no way, all collectors, or all dealers. Indeed a very small percentage do this). Most are of high integrety. But the ones that do are no different than the huckesters at the carnivals that push the ginsu type, cuts through a brick, and never gets dull "JUNK".

It's all bull. Every bit of it. We as makers don't' pay attention to all this hype at all. We see it as a bit silly. Not to mention grossly misinformed to down right ignorant.

But like any Craft, we all need New Blood! Makers and Collectors alike to keep the Craft alive. This is where it all comes together to bring us all down.

Now go back and read the very first post in this long thread. Now just where do yo think the newbies gets these questions from. It is innocent enough. He genuinely wanted to know. A typical newbie question. He heard the hype. And here we go again. Problem is. It happens at every single show on the planet.

Some of it, or all of it, in just about every Knife Mag. you pick up and read.

It's not helping any of us. It is in the long run, causing more and more divisions. Exactly what none of us need.

It sadly started with the makers, but over time we learned better. Now how can we get the Collectors an dealers to either learn, or at least not use so much misinformation to make a profit.

My guess is that we can't . I can tell you this. if one way of making was truly supperior, that would mean that all the other accepted methods are inferrior. If this was trully the case, especially at the level, and at the prices many of our knives sell and trade for, We wouldn't last long. But to the contrary. We are doing quite well.

This, in and of its self says volums.

Now for the politically correct disclaimer: This is only my opinion. Yours may vary.

Next week we explore, Chevy-VS ford-Vs Dodge. Will NasCar ever settle the question??? :D;)

Mike

Last edited:
Michael, that is one seriously interesting and enlightening post. Which probably means that someone out there is not going to 'get it' and will feel the need to argue with it:)
I get it. Thanks.

Back