Prototype AG Russell Folding Chef's Knife

Ehh, I will pass, Alton has had some epic fails in cutlery in the past and this does not look much better.

Ever seen a folding cooks knife? Ever seen any folder with a blade so much wider than the handle" My guess is that when we get production that my customers will love it.

Ever seen a folding cooks knife?
No! :)
Ever seen any folder with a blade so much wider than the handle?
Well...yes, actually...David Mosier & Tashi Bharucha have collab'd on cramming a whole lotta blade into a folding knife... But it's not a folding cooks knife! :D

My guess is that when we get production that my customers will love it.
I haven't seen one in person but I already kinda really dig this. ;):thumbup: How's about some details on it, please! :)

Post pics in this thread!

I really like the design of the folding santoku?

I camp cook occasionally.

I really frickin' LIKE IT. Personally I find that when preparing food for friends or family at their home...the knives are often not up to par and bringing your own standard kitchen knife could be viewed as a little more odd or even rude and I typically don't have the time to get their knives up to the performance level I like. With something like that I could easily whip up a meal conveniently and a folding model is novel enough that it would be more of an item of interest and conversation than anything else. Excited to see these when they come out.

I really like the looks of this one. Happy to see another folding kitchen knife from Mr. Russell.

I finally looked at the links on my computer (originally saw this thread on my phone).

What a SNAZZY looking design!

Was this produced at the same factory as the Cowboy's? If so, I want one even more! The manufacturing on those is extremely impressive. The grinds and finishing are top notch.

Cool
I'd get it if I were a chef or serious enthusiast. It'd rather have a folder than a folding case for a non folding knife, like most chefs use.

I like it......you're out at a lady's place and they know you like to cook and they ask if you would like to help chop onions and they hand you a 3" inch paring knife with no edge. You say "hold on there, let me whip this out" and you pull out your folding Santoku.... You might see some action later over a knife like this. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
Too much cleaning and upkeep. Silly.

I don't know about silly, but since ya mentioned it, I do definitely hope that the production version will allow for quick & easy take downs for thorough cleanings. :)

I like it a lot. And FTB makes a great point; every time I go to someone's house to cook their knives suck. Usually in a big way. I also do food prep and serving as a volunteer for a lot of events and the event organizers don't usually even have a knife to use.

Talk about filling a niche. To me, a great deal of the joy of cooking is taken away from people because they have poor knife skills. And they have poor knife skills because they never learn how to use a sharp knife. One of my favorite kitchen knives is a well made knife of great steel that came with a hard, snap on cover that goes over the entire blade and snaps on at the guard. I can take this when we visit or go to friends or family for holiday dinners or over to a barbecue in which I help cook. AGR's "in the pocket" solution looks really nifty to me as it would be easier still to transport.

As mentioned, like a good hunting knife it should be easy to clean. I cook for the elderly and their body systems aren't that sturdy. I wash and clean incessantly when cooking so it would have to be easy to clean up quickly when moving from task to task. It would be hard to live with myself if I gave them food poisoning.

Looking at 3 AGR knives on the dresser now, I will be glad to have one in the kitchen. The more I think about this idea, the more I like it.

Robert

Ever seen a folding cooks knife? Ever seen any folder with a blade so much wider than the handle" My guess is that when we get production that my customers will love it.

That looks amazing.. I'm a Chef and think its a cool idea!..Especially when your at an event or whatnot and always need a chef knife just it case, I can have one on me at all times. So whats the specs on it?

Back