Prototype AG Russell Folding Chef's Knife

I'm a big fan of the original model so I'm sure I'll like this deluxe version.

Jeff

I like it too. I also second the comments that a pocket clip may not be necessary and for sure it should be easy to take down and clean. Great idea, although I don't know how big the demand for it would be.

It's a great idea. When I am in the field my pocket knife gets used for all of the cooking chores. Would be a great blade to throw in my 3-daypack if I knew I was going to be out for a while, or I would love to get one for just straight camping.

Here are the pics for the people who don't like links.

A7mR1wnCcAA4ERP.jpg:large

A7mUIgwCIAA4mmY.jpg:large

A7mT5FmCQAAUYTf.jpg:large

I bet the flatt butt of the handle will crush garlic like nobody's business.

I'm on the fence with this one... I can see the usefulness of this, but it's not aesthetically pleasing to my eye. To me it lacks the sex appeal that some of AGs other knives have. While it's not Lamborghini sexy, it's got that hotness that a good well used truck has... Anyways thats just me. I do like it for what it is though very utilitarian!

Ehh, I will pass, Alton has had some epic fails in cutlery in the past and this does not look much better.

If you've never failed you're not trying hard enough...

I'm liking this idea a lot. I've often wanted a folding chefs knife and this one at 4.5" blade length would be more than sufficient for preparing a meal. The only thing I'd worry about is being able to sanitize the knife, especially the pivot area.

Is the blade going to be satin finished?
What's the weight?
Any idea on pricing?

I'm liking this idea a lot. I've often wanted a folding chefs knife and this one at 4.5" blade length would be more than sufficient for preparing a meal. The only thing I'd worry about is being able to sanitize the knife, especially the pivot area.

Is the blade going to be satin finished?
What's the weight?
Any idea on pricing?

That's my one concern also even though I'm pretty sure that Mr. Russell has to have thought of this though...considering what its primary use is, who used the prototype, and his feedback on the knife if not already considered. :)

AG & Phil,

I am looking forward to to buying this Folding Chef when it is available.

I will NEVER use a Pocket clip. I am told it is "probable cause" in Chicago and in Florida.

I have a very nice Dozier Phat Bob that I purchased from AGR. The removal of the pocket clip leaves a VERY UGLY HOLE in the otherwise very nice wooden handle of the Phat Bob.

I will order my Folding Chef without the Pocket clip as AGR graciously offered. I would hope that this will not be as destructive to the handle cosmetics as it is on the Phat Bob. I carry Phat Bob and many other fine knives with clips removed, but I would prefer that clip removal would not be destructive of handle cosmetics.

I own most of the very large and bulky Folders (Texas Rangers, Sowbellys, etc.) produced by AGR, and I will own all of them. None of these great, and huge knives have Pocket Clips. Why now?

Mike H.

I'm pretty dang sure that using a pocket clip in Florida isn't considered as probable cause. In Chicago I'd believe it, but not Florida.

Probable cause for WHAT in Florida? Down here CONCEALMENT of a weapon is the only issue if there is any issue at all. You can carry a Musso bowie on your hip of you so desire. Furthermore, we do not have a "partially concealed" standard that I can find anywhhere, so the clip might actually cause the knife to be carried VISIBLY. You have been told wrong about Florida. Chicago may be another story, like New York, where a knife must be TOTALLY concealed.
AG & Phil,

I am looking forward to to buying this Folding Chef when it is available.

I will NEVER use a Pocket clip. I am told it is "probable cause" in Chicago and in Florida.

I have a very nice Dozier Phat Bob that I purchased from AGR. The removal of the pocket clip leaves a VERY UGLY HOLE in the otherwise very nice wooden handle of the Phat Bob.

I will order my Folding Chef without the Pocket clip as AGR graciously offered. I would hope that this will not be as destructive to the handle cosmetics as it is on the Phat Bob. I carry Phat Bob and many other fine knives with clips removed, but I would prefer that clip removal would not be destructive of handle cosmetics.

I own most of the very large and bulky Folders (Texas Rangers, Sowbellys, etc.) produced by AGR, and I will own all of them. None of these great, and huge knives have Pocket Clips. Why now?

Mike H.

I want one as soon as they come out!

The day you post they are ready to ship I'll order one.

BTW I sincerely appreciate the pocket clip....the only way I'll carry a folder!

-Michael

Last edited:
I had plans to give one of these as a 20 MARCH birthday present; still waiting...

Back