Prototype AG Russell Folding Chef's Knife

That looks amazing.. I'm a Chef and think its a cool idea!..Especially when your at an event or whatnot and always need a chef knife just it case, I can have one on me at all times. So whats the specs on it?

Handle 5 1/3" long, 4 1/2" by 1 1/2" Blade of 8Cr13MoV at 57-59 Rc. liners, locking bar, bolsters caps and clip of Stainless steel handles of ebony Rucarta™ The blade is very thin and very sharp. I also plan to do a very limited number in an exotic stabilized wood at advanced price.

Coil spring, bronze washers

several months, for sure after Christmas. . . . . . A. G.

Last edited:
This one will fly!
Hi A. G.! I was recently talking with Mike Dye about you. You still got the stuff, after all these years.
Rolf

Handle 5 1/3" long, 4 1/2" by 1 1/2" Blade of 8Cr13MoV at 57-59 Rc. liners, locking bar, bolsters caps and clip of Stainless steel handles of ebony Rucarta™ The blade is very thin and very sharp. I also plan to do a very limited number in an exotic stabilized wood at advanced price.

Great news. I have your Barlow with that same steel and thin hollow ground blade. After having this steel in lesser hardness and more obtuse grinds from other makers, I was really pleased to see how sharp this steel will get and how well it will hold an edge when treated to your specs.

With a fresh polished edge on the AGR Barlow, it is just wicked, wicked sharp. I hope this new knife is out in time for an "anniversary present"!

Robert

that sounds pretty close to perfect -- will definitely be looking forward to the release.

I already told my wife I wanted one after I saw Alton's Twitter post...

Well Put me down for at least one for sure! Sounds like a winner to me!

I like the idea of a folding santoku a lot. I regret selling my folding hocho many years back (but the handles were too slim and the blade was a little too brittle - it chipped). If AG can make that into a VG10 bladed framelock folder with an open back design, PB washers (all for easy cleaning) with a deeper carry clip at a pricepoint of less than a $100, I'm on it. VG10 would be a plus. Bladestock should be no thicker than a standard santoku - 1/16"-1/8". I think Kevin Wilkins had a folding chef's knife done with some European company and it was $70?

I like the idea of a folding santoku a lot. I regret selling my folding hocho many years back (but the handles were too slim and the blade was a little too brittle - it chipped). If AG can make that into a VG10 bladed framelock folder with an open back design, PB washers (all for easy cleaning) with a deeper carry clip at a pricepoint of less than a $100, I'm on it. VG10 would be a plus. Bladestock should be no thicker than a standard santoku - 1/16"-1/8". I think Kevin Wilkins had a folding chef's knife done with some European company and it was $70?

I want to make sure I understand your post.

If AGR would change the steel to a much more expensive steel, change the locking system to something more difficult to manufacture, redesign the back for you, put the washers in that you like, and change the whole design enough to seat pocket clip deeper in the pocket while allowing he proper substrate needed to anchor the butt end of the knife into the overall knife design, and then make sure the blade was no thicker than 1/8" thick you would be "on it"?

No specifics on blade grind angle?

Are you sure you are interested in this knife?

Robert

This one will fly!
Hi A. G.! I was recently talking with Mike Dye about you. You still got the stuff, after all these years.
Rolf

You have a way with words, Rolf. I agree and this one will be a great knife, like all I have bought from AGR.

I understand the questions from some folks, what I would say is try an AG Russell knife - you'll understand - he just makes nice stuff!

best

mqqn

Does that make it a custom?

Seriously, I wish you had them now. I'd consider a couple for Christmas presents.

AG Russell does it again.

I have a custom folder/slip joint in the works, and have another (production full tang spike hawkfor a 300 I plan on ordering).........but he still finds a way to grab me with a design! I really said I was done with production folders and fixed blades for now, but I think when this comes out, I will be forced to order one.

AG - Why, oh, why did you not come out with these ten years ago BEFORE I retired from the culinary profession? I used to dream of having a full, pro-quality folding knife set that I could keep in little belt "sheaths" a' la John Popper!

I'm just gonna' assume that you(AG) understand how coveted these will be amongst the backpacking community....?

I will get one! I have an older model with the metal handles and ATS-34 steel. Very handy to take with me when I think I might get pressed into kitchen duty where I know the knives aren't sharp. I took the clip off mine and haven't missed it.

Back