PSK Sr Passaround Reviews

Thanks guys. I think the edge has seen a few mouse pads, nothing left of the original secondary convex edge as far as I can determine:confused:
It appears to be just one big old convex edge now. I touched it up a bit before boxing it up.

Doesn't surprise me with all the use it's gotten. That will happen with repeated sharpenings.
Scott

Iuke,

I am glad it made it to you safe and sound. I have been away a few days and have not finished up my full review, you are making me look bad. Great review and my thoughts are right in line with yours. The more I used the PSK the more impressed with Scott Gossman knives I became. My final review will follow soon.

PS-I only put it on a loaded strop for for a few passes to get working sharp. Again great review!

I got the PSK Sr. in the mail today! I had some time this afternoon so I wanted to put together a little mini review.

First off, the overall work is of high quality. Meaning, it's obvious Scott was paying attention to details. The handle fit is precise, the angles on the steel are all spot on, etc. I like the micarta slabs, they are pretty comfy.

As someone else mentioned, the steel could use a touch up. So many sharpenings have not been all that kind to the grind. It still came with a sharp little edge that would shave! Some re-thinning of that grind would make it really slice, though.

I tried it on a few basics, for now: food prep, fuzz sticks, drilling and batoning. I wasn't able to snap pics of it all before the camera died!

Comparison shot with the Farmer:
P1010034.jpg

P1010041.jpg

Some *very* teensy curls that didn't show up that well:
P1010030.jpg

A snack- it had a hard time biting into the wrapping:
P1010037.jpg

In-hand shot:
P1010033.jpg

I tried using it on a new firesteel, but couldn't snap a pic in time to get the sparks or the flame! There were two small problems with it, one being that the new firesteel is sub par, and that the spine wasn't quite square enough to bite.
P1010044.jpg

Overall it's a good design. Once it hits Mr. Gossman's sander I know it will be right back in shape to be a primary woods blade. The handle design is solid, but less curvy than I'd like. But that's because it's a larger reincarnation of a smaller kit knife. Some thicker slabs would have helped a lot for my big paws, but again that would start to detract from it's 'PSK-ness'.

I really liked the O1, the blade length and thickness, and the handle length. All big pluses. I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of the batoning, but it did quite well through that. I expected it to excel at hard use tasks after reading other reviews of Scott's work, and this wasn't a disappointment.

very nice review SP. It's funny how a knife will fit one person's hand, but not anothers.

What I love about the handle is that it sorta 'locks in' when you grab it.

Nice review!

Brett

very nice review SP. It's funny how a knife will fit one person's hand, but not anothers.
Brett

Very much so! There's no such thing as a 'one size fits all' handle. It would be like recommending one type of shoe in one size, to everyone! I've got some very picky paws!

Spooky, thanks for the great review. That knife has really gotten a big workout in a short period of time. I'm pleased with it's performance so far. :thumbup:
Scott

Scott that says alot about your knives, being used by all us knife nuts and trusting that it will hold up. Good job!

Nice review:thumbup: I was surprised at the comfort level I felt with that handle setup, surprised because I don't usually like them so thin. I can understand how they would not fit other users though.

Nice review:thumbup: I was surprised at the comfort level I felt with that handle setup, surprised because I don't usually like them so thin. I can understand how they would not fit other users though.

I likely was not clear enough on that point. While not 'perfect' for my mitts, it was still a comfortable knife to use. But if I were to use it for longer periods of time I'd likely want the thicker slabs.

But for a handle to be this thin and still be that comfortable to a 'handle snob' like me is a big accomplishment.

Spooky, I agree with you about the handle thickness. I prefer a thicker handle. The scales on this knife are 3/16", each side making it a 1/2" thick handle. It would probably be better with 1/4" scales each side.
Scott

....It would probably be better with 1/4" scales each side.
Scott

Come to think of it - I believe I failed to mention one detail that is coming back to me now that it has been mentioned. In most holds, the unnaturally shaped handle of the PSK Sr, felt just fine. I am not real big on handles molded to fit every detail of my hand and very much dislike a row of finger grooves (with the exception of the BRKT Canadian Special - to be fair an not lie). I really like the basic "tall oval," the various Kepharts with their "garden-tool-like handles and others with very basic handles so, the PSK Sr. put a real smile on my face when I wrapped my mitts around it.

That said, there was one instance, using one hold, where I was not comfortable. When gripping the knife like a hammer and cutting sapplings or pointing stakes, etc., when putting some real pressure on the back of the handle, I "felt it." I wondered at that time whether a bit of an arc, perpendicular to the length of the spine, would change that. I have noticed though that the slightest "squaring" of the backs of handles I use hard do that and it may just be my "office hands," but I think that 1/4" scales would make a big difference there. It would be slightly bulkier but not much. I certainly do appreciate the compactness of such a "big" knife and would not want to mess that up.

On the edge again, I think a few of us may have had some trouble holding that secondary convex while sharpening. I know it took me a bit to get used to it in USE but, once I "got it," I was fine. If you look at the curls Spooky made, you will notice they look segmented - they are not smooth curls. Now, this is NOT because Spooky doesn't know how to make fuzzies, rather it indicates that, as the knife passed from user to user, we each (or some of us anyway) might have held the spine a bit high. Even with a hair-shaving edge, the obtuse nature of the secondary convexed edge became too steep for the chip (curl) to BEND as it is forced away from the blade during the cut. At its original "angle," the curls came off smoothly and I have to take at least partial blame for possibly contributing to the eventual accumulated error in the "angle" of the secondary convexed edge.

Thanks, Spooky, for the opportunity for me to "come clean." Catharsis is good.:D

Thanks for that up date Jeff. One other thing, everyone has their own technique of sharpening. With all the different sharpenings that have been done, I'm sure the edge would need to be reset. Usually one owner of a knife resharpens "their way" and is able to maintain the edge accordingly.
Scott

please keep in mind that if you do not submit a review with at least one picture, you are not eligible for the raffle at the end.

thanks for all who have participated.

Brett

This knife should be nearing the end of the line according to my calculations. Just trying to figure out when I will win the raffle and get to call it my own:D
I promise to use and abuse on a regular basis.

Hi all,

we'll be closing the passaround reviews tonight at 10:00pm cst. At that time, if you haven't put up a review meeting the stipulated and agreed to rules, you will not be included in the drawing.

I hate to exclude anyone, but it's only fair to those who agreed and fulfilled their obligation.

Brian Jones has been sent a list of the participants with a number randomly generated for each person. I assigned the number with a random generator in order that folks signed up. For example, bearthedog signed up first, so I used the random generator to choose a number for him between 1-10. If a person received a randomly generated number that was already chosen, I simply did it again. Oddly enough, it worked out perfect. Makes me wonder???!!! Anyways, blues has done the choosing and we have a winner!

See you tonight!!!

Brett

Last edited:
When I got the PSK Sr. the edge would not readily cut paracord. Using my minimal sharpening skills I got the knife sharp enough without doing damage to the blade to make some fuzz sticks from birch bark and shave some fine tinder, cut some paracord, do some whittling and repare some cheese, onions and artichokes for a salad. This is the picture I have included in the post.

IMGP0668Cropped.jpg

I was planning to take more pictures and spend more time with the PSK Sr. but events conspired to prevent me from doing so.

The finish on the this knife was what I expected since I already have a PSK.
The fit on the handle is excellent though I agree that the handle could be just a slight bit wider.

Thank you Brett for making it possible to spend time with the knife I regret that I could not spend more.
All the knives I like to collect are users. The form and the function of your knives make for elegant cutting tools. I plan on acquiring some more of them.
Scott , thank you for the time, effort and thought that goes into making such great knives.

Last edited:
so glad you chimed in Steve (Swoop)! I really enjoyed chatting on the phone with you today.

Take care,
Brett

Back