Quartermaster knives

You are the Grand Arbiter who decides such things?

My thread, my rules? I can request it be locked or request for a mod to swing in when people constantly try and derail a thread. Last I checked general was for discussing the knives, not the politics or business itself, those belong in political and GBU, respectively. The constant hating is also more suited for W&C. I have noticed the theme of maybe 1/10 of posters have even owned a Quartermaster, I have had 2 and they were pretty great. Some of theirs, like the Mr Roper don't represent the greatest value, but the first 4 were all a great value. To date the Murdock is my absolute best non flipper opener, it rocketed open easily every time with a satisfying snikt. But by all means, continue the ad hominem argument.

My thread, my rules? I can request it be locked or request for a mod to swing in when people constantly try and derail a thread. Last I checked general was for discussing the knives, not the politics or business itself, those belong in political and GBU, respectively. The constant hating is also more suited for W&C. I have noticed the theme of maybe 1/10 of posters have even owned a Quartermaster, I have had 2 and they were pretty great. Some of theirs, like the Mr Roper don't represent the greatest value, but the first 4 were all a great value. To date the Murdock is my absolute best non flipper opener, it rocketed open easily every time with a satisfying snikt. But by all means, continue the ad hominem argument.

It sounds like you don't have a lot of knowledge with respect to knives. Maybe you should spend less time arguing with people about a fraudulent joke of a company that makes ridiculously ugly knives, and more time learning about and experiencing quality knives.

Chill. I merely point out that your opinion about the quality of the knives in question does not end the discussion.

As for the rest, we Scots admire those who volunteer for the forlorn hope.

And it's Spark's place so Spark's rules.

My thread, my rules?

That's not how this place works.

I can request it be locked or request for a mod to swing in when people constantly try and derail a thread. Last I checked general was for discussing the knives, not the politics or business itself, those belong in political and GBU, respectively. The constant hating is also more suited for W&C.

Or...you can just close the thread yourself:rolleyes:

I have noticed the theme of maybe 1/10 of posters have even owned a Quartermaster, I have had 2 and they were pretty great. Some of theirs, like the Mr Roper don't represent the greatest value, but the first 4 were all a great value. To date the Murdock is my absolute best non flipper opener, it rocketed open easily every time with a satisfying snikt.

Did you notice that we are not discussing the (questionable) quality of the knives, but rather the ethics of their business practices?

But by all means, continue the ad hominem argument.

Ad hominem? Do you even know what that means? Because it doesn't apply to what is happening here...

Personally, I could care less if QM had the best fit & finish in the business, they still would not get my dollar. Some of us do care about the bigger picture, not just the knives themselves.

You can't be serious. Quartermaster is well documented. Defend them at the risk of your own reputation.

You are correct.

Regardless of what I (or anyone else) may think of QM in terms of business practicess/service/design/etc... If you like the knives and that's all that matters to you, then that's all that matters.

Thing is, people have opinions, and they get expressed. That's one of the things that makes BF different then most other knife forums. We can actually not like something, and as long as things stay civil, we can agree to disagree.
If you don't want to hear them, don't start a thread.

While arguing about the "style" of QM knives is reserved for idiots, it's hard for a lot of us to look past the bigger picture that surrounds the company simply because it doesn't add up.

For some people there is more to owning a knife then just the knife itself (you see this with amost everything, not just knives) and the practices of the company become almost as important as the product they make/sell.

Believe what you want dk45 but in a recent vid it even shows they're not in a QTRMSTR owned shop; but they never mention that anywhere LOL. :confused::rolleyes:
They might actually recoup some lost reputation if they were straight up about stuff.

BTW; that new tanto FB may be their first USA made blade. ;):thumbup:

25938156104_1a3679e971_c.jpg

Last edited:

That means 90 percent of us are not stupid. Why spend hundreds of dollars to fondle a turd knife from a lame company. Glad you're satisfied with yours, but don't think because we didn't spend money on a scam that we are the dumb ones.

The constant hating you refer to is deserved and should caution others thinking about doing business with qtrmstr....or however they want to mess up their spelling

For some people there is more to owning a knife then just the knife itself (you see this with amost everything, not just knives) and the practices of the company become almost as important as the product they make/sell.

That's not that true. If it were, I am sure we would see some Peace Corps hippies in here, selling their bedazzled plastic butterknives for top dollar. You can be the 2nd coming of Ghandi, but you had better make a good knife, if you want it to sell. If you can't make a good knife, you better have a polorizing rep on these boards, giving away your knives at a high clip, creating a fanatical following.

It is true for some. If it weren't, then warranty and customer service would be complete non-issues.

You are right, you do have to make a good knife to be successful. Making a good knife with great business practices can set you apart from the rest. By making a good knife and lacking in business practices, you can still be successfully yet it will be a turn off for some. Some people only care about the end product and that is cool too. As they say, YMMV.

That's not that true. If it were, I am sure we would see some Peace Corps hippies in here, selling their bedazzled plastic butterknives for top dollar. You can be the 2nd coming of Ghandi, but you had better make a good knife, if you want it to sell. If you can't make a good knife, you better have a polorizing rep on these boards, giving away your knives at a high clip, creating a fanatical following.

I think it's fairly obvious (maybe it's just me) that NOT ONLY ARE MANY PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A GOOD KNIFE, BUT A GOOD COMPANY/MAKER BEHIND THAT KNIFE.

Just to clarify........

I think it's fairly obvious (maybe it's just me) that NOT ONLY ARE MANY PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A GOOD KNIFE, BUT A GOOD COMPANY/MAKER BEHIND THAT KNIFE.

Just to clarify........
Very few. The term is vocal minority. Just look at how popular Strider knives still are.

And the premium brand name Chinese imports. We don't really know anything about them at all. Maybe it adds to the mystique.

As for many posters here not having owned a knife from said company, I hardly see the point in making that statement.

A lot of guys here most likely dont suffer swift kicks to the gonads on a daily basis - that dosent mean, that they dont know its a bad thing to get kicked in the nuts.

Same thing with horrible POS knives from a company with a horrible reputation.

If we all ponied up a hundred bucks we could probably hire a private detective to uncover the truth about Quartermaster. Expose their importation practices pretty soon. If they're manufacturing in China it wouldn't be that difficult to uncover.

If we all ponied up a hundred bucks we could probably hire a private detective to uncover the truth about Quartermaster. Expose their importation practices pretty soon. If they're manufacturing in China it wouldn't be that difficult to uncover.

I would like proof one way or another. I don't like the idea of a company claiming super US support when they aren't, but also won't take circumstantial evidence as fact. Argue all you want, there is NO solid proof either way, just hateraid chugging to Jared.

I would like proof one way or another. I don't like the idea of a company claiming super US support when they aren't, but also won't take circumstantial evidence as fact. Argue all you want, there is NO solid proof either way, just hateraid chugging to Jared.

Yup I haven't seen solid proof either way as well. I have to say though if Quartermaster is manufacturing in the US as they claim, why not just make the fact public knowledge. Post up a video of the manufacturing facility or something. If they're already making videos this should be a no-brainer. One such video would shut everyone here up. Posting videos of other peoples' workshops just adds to the skepticism. Well it's their business, they can run it how they want, but it just makes me think they're gonna be exposed and people who supported them are gonna look pretty foolish.

Yup I haven't seen solid proof either way as well. I have to say though if Quartermaster is manufacturing in the US as they claim, why not just make the fact public knowledge. Post up a video of the manufacturing facility or something. If they're already making videos this should be a no-brainer. One such video would shut everyone here up. Posting videos of other peoples' workshops just adds to the skepticism. Well it's their business, they can run it how they want, but it just makes me think they're gonna be exposed and people who supported them are gonna look pretty foolish.

My guess is they are taking a calculated albeit risky and ill-advised decision to use negative publicity and Wild speculation to garner favor under a mantra of "They hate us because they aren't as cool as we are". I will admit I could be wrong and Jared could just simply he a moron, and taking clear advantage of the benefit of the doubt.

^^^^^^^^^ Well I'm certainly interested on how this plays out. I just can't imagining it ending well. Maybe it will help lead to more transparency in the knife industry which would be a good thing, especially with all the Pakistan-China manufacturing going on.

If someone gifted me a Quartermaster I would accept and use it to get some idea of where they were at. But if they are, indeed lying, and there a giant red flags all over that they are, there's no way I would spend money to find out. Because if they're willing to lie about X, what makes them unwilling to lie about the steel they use? Or the titanium? Or their warranty?

As for having to make a good product to stay in business? Well, how long has Tylenol been sold as a pain reliever? Yeah, just did worse than placebo in a large medical study.

Back