Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Mark Nice trio there, like the Congress Whittler in particular. You a Bee-Keeper? I've always been fascinated by that.:)

252 Damn fine Hawk you have, great looking workhorse for sure:cool:

Thanks, Will
Thanks Will! Not a Bee-Keeper yet, more like a wanna bee [emoji33]

A few years ago my wife and I followed a short introductory course 'urban beekeeping' and liked it so much we continued with the official certification course. You don't need a big garden to keep bees, but our garden is so small we would be forced to sit in the 'flying lane' which isn't advisable. So until we move to a place with a bigger garden we won't have bees. (Which won't be very long I hope.)

Mark

Anyone get one of the new Rough Rider Copperstone or Copper Bolster knives yet?
Do they stand up to the quality we've come to expect?

Anyone get one of the new Rough Rider Copperstone or Copper Bolster knives yet?
Do they stand up to the quality we've come to expect?
I saw those and I'm thinking of getting those in Stockman and Trapper patterns.

Here is my only Rough Rider, the $4.99 wonder knife! 5 blade Sowbelly Stockman.
IMG_20170130_202504269_zpsi3yutdkh.jpg

Indeed it is! For that price how could I not buy it??? This weekend I plan on making a road trip to visit the grandkids (yes I'm a younger grandpa lol) and there is a store that I remember selling a bunch of Rough Rider knives for like $6 - $9 so hopefully I'm not senile, yet ;) Love RR so far!

Indeed it is! For that price how could I not buy it??? This weekend I plan on making a road trip to visit the grandkids (yes I'm a younger grandpa lol) and there is a store that I remember selling a bunch of Rough Rider knives for like $6 - $9 so hopefully I'm not senile, yet ;) Love RR so far!

Nice, gotta love checking out little shops while road trippin'. I'd suggest keeping eyes out for some "Colt" branded RR's. Personally I think some of them value way over price ranges. And if I understand correctly, brand licensing is going another direction.

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Well, Amazonitis strikes again:D I needed to buy a couple of things, but one was an add on item. I was about 12 bucks short. Thee smart thing to do would be to wait and just make a bigger order.

The impulsive thing to do is to find a 6 bladed RR stockman for $14.

I should have it by Friday;)

Here is my latest Rough Rider. It is a RR313 Red Bone folding hunter with copper bolsters and comes with a sheath.

Well I just received my newest RR pair. One is going back, but the other is the finest specimen of the brand I have ever encountered.

First the dog:
The Mini-Scout didn't do it for me at all. Way too small, the lifter is marginal at best, and old-timey can opener is non-functional. I was hoping a little edc for opening beer bottles, but it's just not up to par.

The winner:
The 6 blade Stockman. Why do I need 6 blades? Ya know, I've been scratching my head ever since I got it. A spey, a pen, a spear, a large clip, a small clip, and a sheepsfoot. I'm still trying to invent reasons for each blade. So far I've honed the clip, mini clip, and pen to scary sharpness. I think I'll use that side of the knife (as they are all nested together on the right side to be pulled open with the left hand) as my fine work blades. The spear, sheep, and spey can be my rougher work blades.

As to the build quality, well none of my entry level Cases touch the RR. I prefer a carbon steel blade on my carry knives, but the 440 serves well regarding your typical day to day chores one would expect this knife to handle. The walk and talk are perfect. Nice firm, but not nail-breaking, pulls on the two main blades since they have their own springs. The smaller knives open with some audible snap. I like this on the littler blades as it allows me to bear down on them a bit more.

The springs are all flush with only the least little bit of a proud brass spacer sticking up. Once again, well within the Case acceptable parameters for a $40 knife, so I'll certainly let it slide on a $14 one. All of the springs seem well polished with very little tool marks to be found. The scales are uniform, well attached, and a rich chocolate color that accent the nickle bolsters.

For under $15, this knife is a home run. I think it would still be a viable hit at 3 times the price. I just wish out of 6 blades ONE of them could have been a cap lifter;)

Sorry your mini-scout was a disappointment, Jake. :(
But it sounds like your 6-blade stockman is excellent quality! :thumbup::thumbup:

I realized that a batch of knives that I ordered around Thanksgiving have never been posted in this RR & Related thread. I'll post my newest Rough Riders in this post, and put my "related slip joints" (mostly Marbles) in a separate post tonight or tomorrow.

As is often the case when I make a quarterly knife order, I picked up a RR canoe. This time it was a "Zombie Nick" canoe (featured in a thread about ugly knives a while back :eek: - so much for my "taste").
D5yeuvm.jpg

xmOUI0q.jpg

I also got a little amber jigged bone whittler with which I'm very pleased. :cool:
vKzQEpr.jpg

oM1LC74.jpg

And I got my first knife with a marlin spike. It more than meets my standards for knife quality! :D
CiN6uR5.jpg

91gFH7t.jpg

- GT

o
Sorry your mini-scout was a disappointment, Jake. :(
But it sounds like your 6-blade stockman is excellent quality! :thumbup::thumbup:

I realized that a batch of knives that I ordered around Thanksgiving have never been posted in this RR & Related thread. I'll post my newest Rough Riders in this post, and put my "related slip joints" (mostly Marbles) in a separate post tonight or tomorrow.

As is often the case when I make a quarterly knife order, I picked up a RR canoe. This time it was a "Zombie Nick" canoe (featured in a thread about ugly knives a while back :eek: - so much for my "taste").
D5yeuvm.jpg

xmOUI0q.jpg

I also got a little amber jigged bone whittler with which I'm very pleased. :cool:
vKzQEpr.jpg

oM1LC74.jpg

And I got my first knife with a marlin spike. It more than meets my standards for knife quality! :D
CiN6uR5.jpg

91gFH7t.jpg

- GT

Actually, I like the Zombie Nick series. I don't think they are ugly at all. Budgetary restraints have prevented me from ordering the Zombie Nick Canoe and Sunfish.
That Marlin Spike looks good in the white bone. I have the Yeller Handle model. A great knife.

The problem I have with Rough Rider is that they are such a bargain it's hard to go back to paying three times more for other brands.

Back