S7 Swords

I usually sharpen the knife with a convex micro bevel, as far as convexing the whole grind I occasionally do one. I like a flat main chisel grind, a convexed bevel and a convex tip.

I almost always convex the tip but it depends on the knife. I am making a knife right now that has a chisel tip and a convex main grind with a microbevel... totally different.

I tried to process all that and and transpose it into the Havok, but my brain shut down and I had to reboot. What about in the case of a mega-wharnie? :)

I tried to process all that and and transpose it into the Havok, but my brain shut down and I had to reboot. What about in the case of a mega-wharnie? :)

:eek: :D :) The wharnie is a full flat grind with a micro bevel.

On that type of knife I like the full flat grind and a regular or convex microbevel.

A light convex to the main grind is nice also on choppers, I tend to do that a bit... I don't really like a full convex to a zero bevel on choppers though, too easy to damage.

I have noticed a lot of discrepancies in terminology regarding grinds, to me it is confusing... the whole primary/secondary bevel thing gets switched around depending on who you ask so I always refer to the bevel that you sharpen as the microbevel to avoid confusion.

I prefer to take away steel when I convex (when compared to a flat grind) as opposed to doing an axe style "fat" grind, it still helps with splitting and makes the knife slice well too.

I like to leave more metal towards the tip on choppers to keep the weight where it needs to be, I almost always do a steeper grind towards the tip to keep strength there and a taller grind near the ricasso so they still slice and carve well.

Lol I think about this stuff all day, hard to answer a question without expounding on the details. :)

How much does a bar of s7 set a guy back anyways?

Amazing work... Always a fan of s7

Hmmm... I'd say the flat grinds are a slight convex. So the main grind on the edge is flat/convexed. Then the tip is fully convexed. And you put a micro bevel that is mostly flat but technically is rounded (convexed).

The first knife I received from you (daniel) looks like its a slight main convex with a flat micro bevel. But we all know a true flat grind is typically slightly convexed just due to the nature of belts and slight deviation from a flat grind based on handling it. IF he (daniel) used a jig, it would be more true to a flat micro bevel, but still the belt creates a slight curve.. I believe at least. :D

mooo I am drinking mojitos.. yumm.. on a side note---my boy only took a major crap in his pants and got it all over himself today, no head damage/wounds though, lol

Hmmm... I'd say the flat grinds are a slight convex. So the main grind on the edge is flat/convexed. Then the tip is fully convexed. And you put a micro bevel that is mostly flat but technically is rounded (convexed).

The first knife I received from you (daniel) looks like its a slight main convex with a flat micro bevel. But we all know a true flat grind is typically slightly convexed just due to the nature of belts and slight deviation from a flat grind based on handling it. IF he (daniel) used a jig, it would be more true to a flat micro bevel, but still the belt creates a slight curve.. I believe at least. :D

mooo I am drinking mojitos.. yumm.. on a side note---my boy only took a major crap in his pants and got it all over himself today, no head damage/wounds though, lol

That is spot on, correct!

No jigs here, not even for bushcraft knives!

Mojitos, hmmm, sounds good, no head trauma is always good too.... :D

Thanks!

The S7 is steep material, over $100 per 3' bar. It is a premium steel but well worth it.

I knew it wasn't cheap... Good stuff though

Reminds of that thread where we were talking about the ultimate shovel- s7 head and desert ironwood handle. I think we got an estimate around 3k lol

I knew it wasn't cheap... Good stuff though

Reminds of that thread where we were talking about the ultimate shovel- s7 head and desert ironwood handle. I think we got an estimate around 3k lol

I believe it, that would be one serious shovel!

I have a feeling there will be more arboreal carnage around the Fairly property in the near future...

Nice looking swords !...

Hows the edge retention going to be on the S7 ?

P.S. Are they finished yet ?

Frank

Nice looking swords !...

Hows the edge retention going to be on the S7 ?

P.S. Are they finished yet ?

Frank

Thanks! The edge retention will be great, S7 gets tempered to a higher hardness than most steel for swords since it is so tough.

No, not finished yet, I hope to get them done in a week or two and send them off for heat treat.

Any word word on pricing yet ?

Frank

I still need to see what they are going to cost to heat treat but I plan on asking $300-500, they have a ton of time and money into them so far because they are mostly hand done. I just got some more sandpaper today so I hope to get them out somewhat soon.

Thanks for the update !

I think I see one these In my future
Possibly one with a 18 or 20 inch
Blade and 10 inch handle with
Micarta slabs ?... Hmmm ive got some saving to do
Another good thing with you be sort of close is the
money id save on the shipping (roadtrip)

Frank

If you have any cutoff scraps of S-7, please oil it & put it up for me til after the Holidays.

I want an mini S-7, like a poon + tang.

And glowy handles.

Back