Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

Bear are still manufacturing knives, although they do have issues with quality control of late. some seem happy with the Bear knives from what I've seen throughout the BFC pages where others are not so pleased. I'm sure there are collectors of Bear products out there, although they do not have the same following as Schrade/Camillus/Case knives.

Russell

I was told today that Bear Cutlery were manufacturing the Schrade Knifes for Schrade and stopped making them when Schrade stopped manufacturing in the USA. There doesn't seem to be many SWAJB47 SCHRADE - WALDEN AMBER BONE STOCKMAN's out there. I only paid $15- for mine (NIB) but am a bit disappointed that it's not a genuine Schrade.

Well, it is a rather convoluted story, but the best I recall, somebody, SMKW I think, paid Taylor a license fee to use that name, then had some knives made for them by Camillus and by Bear & Son. Taylor was having knives made in China both before and after that. Bear never made knives for Schrade that I am aware of. Schrade closed in July of 2004 and the name and trademarks were bought by Taylor. Your Bear made Schrade Walden marked knife could be a good knife, as I understand the Camillus made ones were. But Schrade and all of it's trademarks, as far as new produced knives go, are now nostalgia marks.

... Taylor was having knives made in China both before and after that. Bear never made knives for Schrade that I am aware of. ...

What did you mean here Michael? Did you mean during the time Schrade was actually in business, so no genuine Schrade knives were made by Bear & Sons? As I know there were a few made by Camillus prior to 2004.

What did you mean here Michael? Did you mean during the time Schrade was actually in business, so no genuine Schrade knives were made by Bear & Sons? As I know there were a few made by Camillus prior to 2004.

Many more than just a few knives were made for Imperial Schrade by Camillus over the years. One might say that Camillus was used by the Baer brothers as an extension of their own factory for the manufacturing of both standard production knives and many limited editions. Remember the BSA LE knives with NYKC marks?

Albert even fed nearly 100% of the Sears contracts to Camillus after he developed the new, and then lucritive, relationship with Sam Walton.

Since Camillus already had much of the needed tooling, it isn't surprising that they were chosen to make some of the nostalgia marked knives after ISC closed. No doubt they were as good quality as the knives they had earlier made for Schrade.

As far as I know, no knives were made for Schrade by Bear & Sons (or the predecessor companies) for Schrade, only the nostalgia knives made later under the Taylor license.

Last edited:
n2dba1.jpg

ngwmsj.jpg

2u3wqa8.jpg

Thanks Michael. I was pretty sure that was what you meant. I see a lot of knives marked Camillus, Craftsman, Schrade, and Ulster that have a lot of similarities in the frames and blades.

Right so it probably wasn't manufactured by Bear - more likely by Camillus? Bear's 4th Generation Carbon steel series have a striking resemblance!
Anyway it would be nice to know. It seems these aren't fetching the same price as other USA Schrades? Thanks for all your comments and knowledge.

showImageFullSize.asp

crsb47.jpg

Right so it probably wasn't manufactured by Bear - more likely by Camillus? Bear's 4th Generation Carbon steel series have a striking resemblance!
Anyway it would be nice to know. It seems these aren't fetching the same price as other USA Schrades? Thanks for all your comments and knowledge.

Close, it was made by Bear MFG. I believe everything else is accurate. The single pin construction, tang stamp, and non typical coin shield are clues it is not a genuine Schrade Walden.

It was not made for or by Schrade. It was made by Bear & Son in the USA for a dealer under license from Taylor after Schrade closed. It isn't a Schrade. It is a nostalgia knife with Schrade markings.

The folks selling these on eBay as Schrade should be made to list the facts. Well at least they are still collectible seeing that not many were made, I think due to price of production. $15 is a great price since virtually the same knife is $58.99 on the bear and son website with a slightly different bone handle.

The folks selling these on eBay as Schrade should be made to list the facts. Well at least they are still collectible seeing that not many were made, I think due to price of production. $15 is a great price since virtually the same knife is $58.99 on the bear and son website with a slightly different bone handle.

They should, but instead they prey off of optimistic buyers who don't pay attention to details. Most people trying to unload them list them at about 30.00 and cross their fingers, hoping someone will fall for the scam. Maybe that is the bright light in your transaction.

I am trying to find a list of all the knives that Schrade made that are the same size and style as the 3 blade 834 that were 3 5/16 " long. Such as the 835Y, 34OT, 834UH and the 1983 8341 Heritage. I have two others that are limited editions with Will Rogers and Teddy Roosevelt name on them. I also have a 1975 Grand Dads Old Timer with black handles. I am hooked on collecting Schrade's and have been collecting them for years. Can anyone help?

I am trying to find a list of all the knives that Schrade made that are the same size and style as the 3 blade 834 that were 3 5/16 " long. Such as the 835Y, 34OT, 834UH and the 1983 8341 Heritage. I have two others that are limited editions with Will Rogers and Teddy Roosevelt name on them. I also have a 1975 Grand Dads Old Timer with black handles. I am hooked on collecting Schrade's and have been collecting them for years. Can anyone help?

In three bladers with squared bolsters, there is an 832 (with either smooth bone, K-Horn, or Wonda-Wood handles), and an 834B (black delrin scales, oval shield). The 36OT with a punch instead of spey is a good one in that size. You can find a few green handled examples too.

Two bladed (jack) examples generally end with 33.

With round bolsters there is the 855 and it is 3 1/4". It has a few variants. The Old Timer version is a 58OT (Ulster).

The 3 3/8', 3 1/4", and 3 5/16" are all nice size pocket knives. This is all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:
So I figured out I got the 1040t minuteman and the 120t pal. I know the year of the 120t, how bout the minuteman? And value? Also they are stamped USA on the blade so no, they werent made in china............

According to Dale's excellent research, the 104OT ran from 1991 until Schrade's closing in 2004. Value-wise it won't be worth a mint, likely somewhere between ten and twenty bucs give or take a few. Depends on whether box and paperwork are present.

Eric

Hello, I'm sure this has been discussed already so my apologies in advance.

What year did Schrade drop the Schrade-Walden tang stamp?

Thank you.

Back