Should PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales?

Should the PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales here at Bladeforums?

• Yes, continue to allow it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
79.80% of the people voting have said that they do not want the PayPal gift option for sales here on BF. Does it need to be 80, or 85, or 90 ...? Just where is the tipping point to change policy? Just asking?

Personally, I think the forum would have an even better reputation if it simply prohibited the PayPal gift option. I see a benefit from that and not much of a down-side but I am willing to be educated on the issue.

79.80% of the people voting have said that they do not want the PayPal gift option for sales here on BF. Does it need to be 80, or 85, or 90 ...? Just where is the tipping point to change policy? Just asking?

It has nothing to do with an unevaluated poll. Only Spark can make this decision. He has already expressed his opinion. We are not going to police conformance to PayPal policy.

It has nothing to do with an unevaluated poll. Only Spark can make this decision. He has already expressed his opinion. We are not going to police conformance to PayPal policy.

My apologies. I thought the question about the gift option was started by the moderators. I now see that it was started by a member. I also didn't know that Spark had already taken a position on the issue. I will go back into hibernation now.

My apologies. I thought the question about the gift option was started by the moderators. I now see that it was started by a member. I also didn't know that Spark had already taken a position on the issue. I will go back into hibernation now.

Jbass ,

you help make this place enjoyable , its spring. No hibernating

its interesting to read back and see the sellers who stopped using gift and why. Honestly it was like reading my own story. I never thought it was wrong until I looked at what others were saying. Then I realized it wasn't right. So since its not ready for the rule book. Do what will help change it.

Its been suggested leaving a PM or VM or Email. With your thoughts on their FST. I would make those first to get feedback, people who don't offer gift. Let them know you appreciate that they don't do it. If they are doing something else you appreciate. let them know.Be kind . For those who do offer gift. If you are inclined. Be thoughtful so they can appreciate possibly where you are coming from. Walk on egg shells if you must. Its all important. We all do have a dog in the fight.

I still 100% agree with brisket :):p

But if I may Esav, I do appreciate all of the thoughts expressed on not one but two threads recently and all PayPal Gift themed threads previously. Is it not at least noteworthy that we members are still allowed to express ourselves in regard to our own financial interests? Further testimony to the power of community and what a great place BF is to allow us to hold discussions and Poll votes on an issue that Administration has already passed judgement upon. Not a bad idea for potential Buyers and Sellers and Traders to take note of this poll. As a merchant of other venues it would be nice to know the mind set of my potential customers.
For a knife Seller, well, here it is.
P.S. Has Sparks posted his direction or opinion on this issue? Is it possible to give a link to that? I as a paying member would be most interested in reading that if permitted.
G...

I have said before, threads like this on any topic of interest to the community are not a waste of time at all. They are the best way to bring positive changes, by educating people rather than oppressing them with more rules they may not understand, and therefore resent.

But if I may Esav, I do appreciate all of the thoughts expressed on not one but two threads recently and all PayPal Gift themed threads previously. Is it not at least noteworthy that we members are still allowed to express ourselves in regard to our own financial interests? Further testimony to the power of community and what a great place BF is to allow us to hold discussions and Poll votes on an issue that Administration has already passed judgement upon. Not a bad idea for potential Buyers and Sellers and Traders to take note of this poll. As a merchant of other venues it would be nice to know the mind set of my potential customers.
For a knife Seller, well, here it is.
P.S. Has Sparks posted his direction or opinion on this issue? Is it possible to give a link to that? I as a paying member would be most interested in reading that if permitted.
G...

Yes he has....

I have said before, threads like this on any topic of interest to the community are not a waste of time at all. They are the best way to bring positive changes, by educating people rather than oppressing them with more rules they may not understand, and therefore resent.

And that right there is one of the reasons I love this place.

Do I think it's right to cheat PayPal out of their fees? No. Not if I use their service. Do I think it's right to charge people PayPal fees if they don't use PayPal? No. Not if I give them an option to use other methods of payment besides PayPal. If I don't give them an option to use a payment method other than PayPal, should I pay the fees? Of course I should. I've taken the decision away from them. If I give them an option to use a payment method other than PayPal and they choose to use PayPal anyway, should I pay the fees? Hell no. They made that choice so they should have to pay the fees.

Is the logic and fairness of using this approach really so difficult to understand?

I think we should keep it or atleast make it an option for international sales/high risk sales (ie. where a 0% feedback individaul with 1 post decides to buy your 3000 dollar knife).

I recall a member who lived in australia and decided to purchase a knife, told the seller they would assume all customs risk/any problems since he was international. When the knife had customs issues the guy filed a complaint with paypal and did not honor their agreement.

Just read it. From back in October. Perhaps a Sticky on Feedback since the question has effectively been answered? Just a thought...
G...

As soon as the world stop spinning for moment I'm going to write up a sticky thread for the exchange, as well as make a modification to the rules. I'm sure many folks won't read it on their own, unless we point it out. I suspect we will be doing a lot of that. We just need to sort out a couple things before going forward. :)

Thanks, RD. I hope you can figure out a way to kill "PayPal Gift" as a payment option but leave "net to me" alone. There really aren't any legitimate uses for the former but depending on how the deal is structured, there are for the latter . . . or at least there are as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck! :)

As soon as the world stop spinning for moment I'm going to write up a sticky thread for the exchange, as well as make a modification to the rules. I'm sure many folks won't read it on their own, unless we point it out. I suspect we will be doing a lot of that. We just need to sort out a couple things before going forward. :)

Thanks for the attention you're giving this, Rev.

Thanks, RD. I hope you can figure out a way to kill "PayPal Gift" as a payment option but leave "net to me" alone. There really aren't any legitimate uses for the former but depending on how the deal is structured, there are for the latter . . . or at least there are as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck! :)
Thanks. One thing to note, we cannot stop people from making stupid mistakes and prevent them from getting ripped off. Members buying items in the Exchange here or anywhere else are going to have pull their heads out of their... well you know and take some responsibility for their actions. We aren't going to spend time fixing mistakes that could be prevented by them had they used a little common sense. It's not fair to the rest of the members.

Thanks for the attention you're giving this, Rev.
:thumbup:

Sticky threads in the For Sale By Individual sections have been edited as have the Exchange rules to reflect the post Spark made on this topic.

Back