Off Topic Snarks are friends, not food!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local bladesmith was on Season 1 of Forged in Fire. About 5 years ago he invited some of the other contestants from Texas to come to town and do a show in conjunction with one of our Small Town Market Days. It's grown every year and has become quite an event. I had a busy weekend and barely made it out there this afternoon. Saw some really beautiful work.

But keeping in true Snarky fashion I sent a text to my family with the only picture I took at the show.

Last edited:
Wreck of the Peter Iredale, 1906, then and now.
~~
zkHK4DR.jpg

~~

Steve Scholle Photography

·

"Peter Iredale 2.0
In 2017 I took a photo of the remains of the Peter Iredale shipwreck on the Oregon coast. I was then able to find a photo of the ship that was taken shortly after it ran aground in 1906, so I combined the photos into one image that spans 111 years.
I first posted this piece of art 6 years ago, and it has become my most widely circulated and purchased piece of art. Recently I reworked the image to include more of the original ship at greater detail and clarity. The seas and salts will eventually claim the rest of the Iredale, leaving the many photos and memories she made to be all that's left of her former glory.
Copies of this timeless piece of art are available at the link in the first comment.
Sailing from Salina Cruz, Mexico, on or about September 26, 1906, the Peter Iredale was bound for Portland, Oregon with 1,000 tons of ballast and a crew of 27, including two stowaways. On the night of October 25, Captain H. Lawrence sighted the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse at 3:20 a.m.. The crew altered course first east-northeast and then northeast to enter the mouth of the Columbia River in thick mist and a rising tide. Under strong winds out of the west, an attempt was made to wear the ship away from shore, but a heavy northwest squall grounded Peter Iredale on Clatsop Sands (now called Clatsop Spit). The ship was built in Maryport in June 1890, by R. Ritson & Co Ltd for Peter Iredale & Porter. She displaced 2,075 tons and measured 87 meters (285 ft) in length and was fashioned from steel plates on an iron frame. She had royal sails above double top and topgallant sails. Hopes to tow her back out to sea were never realized and some of the iron ribs remain on the beach to this day and are pictured here with the "ghost ship of long past."
~~
https://www.stevescholle.com/iredal..._wY566fObO-y76z9Xn_sT9LgBLT25CV6D0oGokQnL9nAM
~~
I just thought this was too cool, unless you were onboard that day.

Wow.

Tho it's true, I do prefer sea stories where the people and ship survive.

Had a tree removed today. In the process they broke our hyper-poorly laid cable/internet coax line. (About half of it is above ground. Tree roots were there when the tech installed it about half an inch below the surface.)

Ran by the auto parts repair store after work (because that's what we have available in our small town.) Bought a few wire connectors. Took the trusty BK 14 out and got things back up and running. Even "water-proofed" the connection because it's supposedly going to start raining.

It might not be pretty but it's working.

Called in for service. Hopefully they'll actually come out tomorrow and fix things.

Wow.

Tho it's true, I do prefer sea stories where the people and ship survive.
Being that she ran aground in the sandy surf, I'm sure most of the crew, if not all, waded onshore. The ship be stoically standing fast, faithful as the day is long. 🧜‍♀️

Sometimes things just don't make sense to me. I needed a tube for a Gorilla wagon. Lowe's had the tube for $14.99 . A complete wheel assembly was $19.97

Finally got my car back!!
Realized yesterday as I was paying the bill that it has one whole light-second on the odometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back