Attention Snow Pea & Tin GAW.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you post up a picture with anything below your waist (and I'm not just talking about your toes) in the picture with the kit components, you may be disqualified.
Kev "KE"

just for clarity, you're only talking about body parts below the submitter's waist? and if I'm standing on my head, what exactly is considered "below my waist"?

just wondering since my kit is gong to be a bit non-traditional in the traditional sense of what would be considered a traditional survival kit.

Question about The Rules.....

Does every item have to be fully inside the tin? For example, is a tin with something (like paracord) wrapped around the outside considered to be acceptable?

Does every item have to be fully inside the tin? For example, is a tin with something (like paracord) wrapped around the outside considered to be acceptable?
that will be fine:thumbsup:

You mean something like; the tin has a Humvee wrapped around it? (either dashboard mount or in the glove box) ;)

I should get extra points (not that I'll need them) for the first entry. Here she is. Probably needs some clothes before the deadline.

2018062413041881-IMG_0793-X4.jpg

And since the "outside the box idea" is already outside the box, I figure I'm not giving any of my AWESOMELY inspired non-traditional ideas away with this shot. More to come as the adventure continues...

Last edited:
Paracord wrapped and duct tape applied...all fine. Just make sure you can close the lid of the kit.

I'm gonna go ahead and post mine. I identified only two items...

42166836395_5d83ae15cf_o.jpg

Just need to work on the technologies to clone Kevin and shrink the clone down to fit in the tin. :D

EDIT: The "why"... I figure even if mini-KE is too small to do much physically in a survival situation, he could still provide sufficient instruction to get me through it.

EDIT 2: Bourbon added.

Last edited:
Apparently, I forgot how small an altoids tin is when I put together the list of sweetness to put into it. I mean, the list fits but the items on the list do not... now to figure out what is more essential?

I’m in. So I’m not sure if this entry is eligible, because we actually sell this kit on out website. However, it is a completely original kit, and assembled from a variety of sources; all on our kitchen table. We put a lot of thought into what’s best for an survival/emergency kit. You need things that are going to make your life easier over a difficult situation. Whether eligible or not, these suggestion should make this contest more interesting.

So the picture below actually shows the larger kit, which comes three different way; with the Snow Pea just being one option. All of the items in the picture will not fit in the tin, but my selection of items from the photo will fit.

The picture shows a small bag of wood shavings. This is actually heart pine shavings from my hand plane. These super thin shavings are extremely combustible and burn for a long time. The problem is always tinder, and this is able to be ignited even if wet. Next are waterproof matches. No fero rod. If your wife or kid has to be the one to start the fire, you want them to be able to do it easily and quickly. Matches or a bic lighter is always better for a situation like this.

Next is a small amount of duct tape wrapped around a piece of hollow plastic pen tube. A little duct tape on a blister can make a long walk more tolerable. The straw can be a big help if you have to get water in a vessel from a puddle.

Then we have a wet wipe thing that has bug repellant and sunscreen on it. Tell me that’s not handy!!

Also, we have a miniature (but shockingly bright) flashlight.

Then a golf pencil, and a piece of waterproof paper (in case you need to leave a note on a windshield).

Finally we have single dose packs of medicine and tablets. These include: anti-diarrhea tablets (yeah, you think this isn’t important??? Lemme tell ya a story!!). Water purification tabs, aspirin (or Tylenol), a small tube of cortisone, electrolyte tabs, antihistamine (also good for bite and poison ivy reactions) and of course band-aids (good ones).

See picture below. The mirror, whole notepad, whistle, bandana, carabiner and more comes in the maxpedition pouch. It’s cool and very well made.

Thanks for looking!
https://www.oldetownecutlery.com/product/emergency-survival-kit-cumming-bladeworks-snow-pea/

0B09BDFE-CA28-4314-BE0F-518D76A6EBC6.jpeg BA44A13A-DDB5-4897-B801-BBA62941618C.jpeg
FE9D39E5-3500-44C7-9D31-E70D4A2BEB89.jpeg
18F73FF1-813A-4D88-B9D2-CDFDC521B7DF.jpeg

Thanks again! Lee

I'm in.

ynUlFRTl.jpg

Follow-up question... does the snow pea need to fit into the tin?

After putting this together, I really hope I have a medkit with me too because bandaids and gauze take up a lot of space. I've relegated 1st aid to tourniquet, water, and cauterizing without it. I need to get better at plant identification, which I have been working on, because I know there are some that are supposed to help here. The tube of super glue didn't fit.

I did get one bigger question that I'm curious to see if others address but that will have to wait. I'm not much of a survivalist but I do try to keep enough things with me to get back home if things go poorly during a bike ride, especially the solo centuries. It's been a while since I've had to stuff grass into my tires...

P.S. great GAW idea. I was thinking originally, because of my natural lazy self, "seems like a lot of work for a GAW" but this was actually pretty fun to put the list together and start doing the process of elimination until it all fit. Haven't done this in a while and never for a tin survival kit, only the travel medkit for spirited bike rides.

@Bikereactor, more than likely the Snow Pea will fit fine. It is a very small thin knife. I think its really cool that folks that aren't really survival kit focused kind of people are putting a bit of thought into this. Glad to hear you're having fun!

I'm gonna go ahead and post mine. I identified only two items...

41240356840_a39e897762_o.jpg

Just need to work on the technologies to clone Kevin and shrink the clone down to fit in the tin. :D

EDIT: The "why"... I figure even if mini-KE is too small to do much physically in a survival situation, he could still provide sufficient instruction to get me through it.

The fact that there is no bourbon in this kit is a fatal flaw. Firstly Kevin will need it. And secondly, it will be way more fun watching Kevin do all the work if you have the bourbon. Just make sure he lashes a chair for you first. This is a blatant break from the rule of 3's so you will have to trick him into deviating. Use the bourbon for this.

The fact that there is no bourbon in this kit is a fatal flaw.

I thought about putting bourbon in my kit then realized it wouldn't be enough. I then thought about trying to get some highly concentrated stuff from the lab (I'm a laboratory manager by day) that would knock you socks off but work would frown upon that. So it's BYOB, bring your own burbon, at my survival camp.

I was trying to figure out a mini distillation apparatus with some tubing and such but couldn't find anything small enough to complete the kit. Both for water and for "disinfectant" manufacture. The water cleaning is the part I struggled to address with the small kit and what I was looking forward to seeing how others addressed that in theirs.

The fact that there is no bourbon in this kit is a fatal flaw. Firstly Kevin will need it. And secondly, it will be way more fun watching Kevin do all the work if you have the bourbon. Just make sure he lashes a chair for you first. This is a blatant break from the rule of 3's so you will have to trick him into deviating. Use the bourbon for this.
Well, I can't have that now can I? Bourbon added.

@Bikereactor, more than likely the Snow Pea will fit fine. It is a very small thin knife. I think its really cool that folks that aren't really survival kit focused kind of people are putting a bit of thought into this. Glad to hear you're having fun!

Bourbon in some capacity is an essential survival tool on many levels. It's a staple in my kit, and in some instances has been the only item in the kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back