TechStudio K01 Profile Sharpening System

I've been looking at this system for a while. I'm trying to decide which double clamps would work best for me. I plan to sharpen anything from my good chef's knives to Busse's. So I'm looking for any feedback, experience, opinions or thoughts on the Filet Double Clamps or Conical Double Clamps vs the standard double clamp?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only sharpened about 10 knives, but here is my 2cents thus far. Fillet versions really are only necessary if you need to go bellow 17°. I had the stone go into the clamp only once so far, and I just moved the tip out further from the clamp. The system is hands down able to sharpen any "quality" of knife you would put in it. I think the issue with different quality of knives would be the stones you used with the system. I noticed some knives took much longer to cut in a new profile when they are of harder steel, thus a better quality stone set would be useful here.. I have only used the basic stone set that comes with the system with very good results.

As far as the conical clamp, I don't think they are worth the extra money, they tend to pull the clamp out of alignment to itself when you tighten the dial. I think the straight down screwing method is far superior and more effective, The "nut" on the other side of the dial is a cone of sorts, it binds sometimes when your tightening, there are two nuts, one on each side, then the dial, they both are prone to binding. They are still very usable, but need a little more r&d I think :).

The nuts and bolts that hold the clamps together were a little loose after a few uses, I have tightened them back up again, some locktight may be in order, shall see.

hope that helped pmspaul.

I have only sharpened about 10 knives, but here is my 2cents thus far. Fillet versions really are only necessary if you need to go bellow 17°. I had the stone go into the clamp only once so far, and I just moved the tip out further from the clamp. The system is hands down able to sharpen any "quality" of knife you would put in it. I think the issue with different quality of knives would be the stones you used with the system.

The standard double clamps won't go below 17 degree bevels? The reason I mentioned chef knives and Busse's was because I want to be able to take knives down to around 12 degrees and also clamp knives that are thick, maybe up to 0.3" or so. I have a bunch of edge pro, diamond and shapton stones for my edge pro, so I'd planned to just use those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The standard double clamps won't go below 17 degree bevels? The reason I mentioned chef knives and Busse's was because I want to be able to take knives down to around 12 degrees and also clamp knives that are thick, maybe up to 0.3" or so. I have a bunch of edge pro, diamond and shapton stones for my edge pro, so I'd planned to just use those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was mistaken, the site says

Angle Diapason: 10°— 32° for the single clamp and double clamp.

Angle Diapason: 6.5°— 32° for the fillet clamps.

I was mistaken, the site says

Angle Diapason: 10°— 32° for the single clamp and double clamp.

Angle Diapason: 6.5°— 32° for the fillet clamps.

I was just going to say, if your angle gauge was reading 17 degrees it might have gotten knocked around a bit in shipping lol.

To get the shallowest angle possible you can either remove the rear screw since it sticks out so high or you can go to a hardware store and get shorter ones. Any blade that needs that shallow of an angle should be thin enough that it will not require that 3rd screw anyway.

Hello fellows,
Just for your information I sent an email to Paul yesterday requesting a quote on the K02 system hoping to get the old price as posted here on this thread (Page#5) unfortunately they are no longer honoring that old price. Here's the response I received from them:

Unfortunately, in 2017 we do not sold system by the old price.
Because of inflation in Russia, metal and steel parts increases in price. Thats why we decided to sell our system by the new price.

Best regards,
TechStudio Customer Service

Bummer because I was interested on this product. I guess I have to start looking for the wicked edge or maybe a tormek 😉

Hello fellows,
Just for your information I sent an email to Paul yesterday requesting a quote on the K02 system hoping to get the old price as posted here on this thread (Page#5) unfortunately they are no longer honoring that old price. Here's the response I received from them:

Unfortunately, in 2017 we do not sold system by the old price.
Because of inflation in Russia, metal and steel parts increases in price. Thats why we decided to sell our system by the new price.

Best regards,
TechStudio Customer Service

Bummer because I was interested on this product. I guess I have to start looking for the wicked edge or maybe a tormek 😉

Thanks for the info, but if you see post 299 there have been updates to the system from Jan 17.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a supplier to offer a new product at an old price.

The Tormek is a very different animal. The Wicked Edge too to a lesser extent. If they better meet your needs then by all means go for it, but at this price point, I wouldn't buy a product that was less suited to my needs just because the product I really wanted had a price increase because of demand.

Thanks for the info, but if you see post 299 there have been updates to the system from Jan 17.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a supplier to offer a new product at an old price.

The Tormek is a very different animal. The Wicked Edge too to a lesser extent. If they better meet your needs then by all means go for it, but at this price point, I wouldn't buy a product that was less suited to my needs just because the product I really wanted had a price increase because of demand.

Prices just went up again. The kit I got for $344 IIRC went to $388 for a few months and is now $417. If I initially saw it at the current price I would likely not even consider it unfortunately. With shipping that is $502 if shipping is still $85. On top of that they charge a higher price for US customers than they do for those in Russia.

I recall, last November the listed prices:

Basic Kit was $241 /now $347

WranglerStar kit was $295 /now $417

Pro Kit was $467 /now $661

I'd say there is still lots of value when considering all the machine work.

If you look back at the posts from September 2016, the price of the basic K02 kit was $322. It's now $347 as you said.

An increase of just under 8% but bear in mind when comparing prices, there has been an upgrade to the product.

The owner has stated that the product sold in Russia is of different quality with a different warranty, and does not take into account currency issues.

I would like to own one of these because the clamping system looks to be a big improvement over the Wicked Edge. The only reason I haven't purchased yet is not because of price, but because of the many reports of parts missing or damaged in shipping from Russia.

Last edited:
You can view the old prices here. https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://tsprof.com Click a year and it will show you every cached version of the page it has by date.

I'm not saying there haven't been price increases; there was a ±10% increase last year (the owner explained the reason for this in post #78 and postponed the increase for BF members) and another increase of 8% this month, apparently due to upgraded parts.

I was pointing out that the figures in post #308 are not correct because they are confusing the price of two different models, making it seem as though there has been a huge price leap in a couple of months.

Any company will need to increase its prices to fund development or respond to demand. Compare these price increases to those of Wicked Edge, for example.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide between the ko1 and ko2

It's the main difference the way the blade rotates?

I'm trying to decide between the ko1 and ko2

It's the main difference the way the blade rotates?

That is mostly it. The K01 you have to unscrew the knob below the knife holder, pull it out then turn it, push it back in, then turn the screw again to tighten it. The K02 you just turn.

The other big difference is the accessories. Both models use different ones because of how they are made. The K01 all have long rods on the back so they can slide in while the K02 have the 2 prongs so they can attack to the bar at the front. This means for some of the accessories one model will be cheaper than the other.

For the K01 you need the table attachment to use the scissor attachment while it works by itself with the K02.

I am absolutely in love with my K02. The build quality is insane. Put it in the ring with the Edge Pro Apex and it's like Tyson beating on a third-grader. I love the fact I can use my EPA stones with it too. ChefKnivesToGo has some seriously incredible EPA stones.

The KME poses some stiff competition though. Lots of bang for the buck there. I was THIS close to buying a KME but I have like 500$ worth of EPA stones which would've become useless

This system produces results in the same range as the Wicked Edge as far as ease, convenience, and speed is concerned.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I can achieve ridiculous edges with ease and enjoyment (sharpening folders on an EPA is largely annoying even with the myriad mods you can do to it). I'll sharpen some up and post a review one of these days, just very busy right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!
Glad to see that you all enjoy sharpening with TSPROF system.

I know about transportation problem, and we have the solution of it, new orders will be send by new way.
Everyone, who got damaged package and if with package our system was critically damaged too, we will send you new one (just contact me by e-mail).
And one recommendation: when you recive your package, do not sign document, first just check your package before signing document, and if something was broken or lost, you can write a complaint on the transport company.
And of course we will make a refund or send your missing parts.

Back