The NEXT SALE

It has been in Nathan's signature for at least a week, possibly two. That is where I look.

I'll also attest to Nathan's and Jo's packaging methods. I learned a valuable lesson decades ago as it pertained to shipping knives. I learned the USPS understood the problem much better than me, the knife novice. I turned in a claim that was immediately denied and I received a warning from the Office of US Postal Inspector.

You really need to know what you're doing if shipping without a sheath. Sure, you can bundle a knife up with all sorts of material after putting a cork on the point, putting the knife into a zipper case and the zipper case surrounded by packing material. But when the shipper throws the box, or the truck stops quickly, the plane applies landing brakes harshly, then the linear momentum of steel will stab right through everything in it's path - the cork, zipper case, packaging material, box, you name it. Postal carriers have been killed by improperly packaged knives that become dangerous projectiles when acted upon by force that increases the linear momentum of the object.

And you are guaranteed that the USPS will never pay an insurance claim for damage to an unsheathed knife. Instead, they're likely to pursue a court action if any postal carrier is even scratched. I've seen LOTS of knives arrive with the tip of the knife sticking out of the package. Sheaths are the only real protection, though a temporary shipping sheath can be fashioned from cardboard for some designs, but must be done expertly, precisely the way Jo does it. Just my two cent rant.

Last edited:
Luckily in my case, since I have zip ties in stock I mimicked JoJo's shipping techniques when it came to really strapping and securing the knives I shipped recently when unsheathed, but my zip tied job looked ugly as opposed to CPK's refined format. Got the job done but I left a lot to be desired aesthetically as compared to Jo's ;)

Nathan, have you ever considered or looked into using Vandis 4 Extra?

When did the OP get updated to indicate today's sale? I definitely would have jumped in to try for one had there been more notice.

The information has been there since before the last sale; so it's been posted for at least two weeks.

Crap totally spaced this. Started working on the kitchen faucet and forgot. Got a TAD Alchemy earlier so all good.
Cheers

Nathan, have you ever considered or looked into using Vandis 4 Extra?

...funny you should ask...

1_4.jpg~original

4V is V4E's evil Crucible twin

Dan Keffeler turned me on to it, we have been developing an optimized heat treat for it over the winter. We're getting some impressive results.

So is this 4V or the V4E?

It is CPM 4V. The nominal composition of both steels are the same within normal melt variations for an alloy. For most intents and purposes they're the same alloy. It looks to me the primary difference is V4E is an imported material where 4V is made in USA by a steel manufacturer I buy a lot of steel from. I have bought sheet from Uddeholm in the past and they're a good company, but given a choice I'm going to buy from Crucible and Niagara. We're actually evaluating both materials, and if I find a difference that would be a different story, but for now I plan to stay with CPM.

Fingers crossed.
Slow as molasses in the winter but maybe Ill get lucky.
Good luck everyone.
Cheers

Man I would love to go jump on that sale but life has more important things sometimes and I'm saving my pennies to buy the Survival Knife (or whatever it'll be called) whenever it's released. Good luck everyone!

Would a brother have a EDC in either 3V or D2 with black Micarta he'd be willing to part with? This hillbilly from WV would love to buy one. I'm too old and slow to snag one when Nathan drops the green flag. Seems like I just spin my wheels.
I ain't as slick as you all.

Back