Off Topic The Snark Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate septic problems, ZZ.

I had drains backing up last winter, went to check my tank, and learned that my house didn't have a tank. What I had thought was the tank was an old hand dug well that previous owners had ran the sewage pipe into. So, obviously, I had to install a proper septic tank and absorption lines. Luckily, I'm a soil scientist and have a license to install septic systems in Missouri, so could do much of the work myself. I just had to hire a backhoe operator.

In your case, check the slope of the pipe running from the house to the tank. There should only be a slight amount of fall. If it's too steep, the water will outrun the solids. Around here, the standard is something like 2 inches of fall over 10 feet, or a quarter bubble on a level.

depending on skill level of the owner... renting a small excavator would be balls out the more fun option... a pro would have it done faster... but there's also the opportunity to learn new things, and possible even route the line better with the time provided.

hey you guys what live "nearby"

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/hand-tool-events/USA/146

i am going to try like hell to be there for the opportunity to learn some shit on saturday (green woodworking demo, probably as exciting as actual you know, splitting would sounds like :>), but hey, they also have a shop of tools and cool things to look at. plus, you know, a drive :D plus scenery. oh wiat, i live in new england, we have that EVERYWHERE...

hey you guys what live "nearby"

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/hand-tool-events/USA/146

i am going to try like hell to be there for the opportunity to learn some shit on saturday (green woodworking demo, probably as exciting as actual you know, splitting would sounds like :>), but hey, they also have a shop of tools and cool things to look at. plus, you know, a drive :D plus scenery. oh wiat, i live in new england, we have that EVERYWHERE...

Sorry, the lobster bake dinner is sold out.

Cut anything other than yourself with those 'dashi lately?

Shadow - That slope is about the same as here. The issue is the slope. Part of the backup issue is that pre-low-volume-flush toilets, the "standard was 4" pipes. With the low-flows, the "standard is 3" pipes. That means the water flows out from under the turds "faster", leading to greater potential for dam-ups.

Bladite, trust mean, I know ALL I want to know about septic tanks.

As far as using a backhoe of any type, there is no access to the area with such a piece of equipment.

My parents had 18 rent houses, I had 3, plus my grandparent's house and both of our houses - all on septic systems - with 24 systems I got way more knowledge about them than I ever needed or wanted. I'm very familiar with backhoes, trenchers, bulldozers.

I've replaced drain fields, tanks, drain lines (and done all indoor electrical & plumbing, foundation work, guttering, roofing and sheet rock work, and.........) than most folks.

In this case, a backhoe is useless. Part of the drain piping coming out of the house goes through a 5 foot flower bed (OK - No problem there), under a 5 foot wide, 6 inch thick concrete sidewalk (uh-oh) and then through another 5 foot flower bed, that's no problem, (running from 16 to 18 inches down) then under an 8 inch thick concrete wall and a 2 foot wide stability tongue, to exit 21 inches down.

I would have to use a small sand shovel and hydraulic water pressure to dig the dirt out and dip the muddy back-slush out nd lay in mud to continue digging, the sidewalk would require a jack hammer to change out the CLAY TILE PIPE, which is in 16" sections and cemented together.

All that is NOT gonna happen by this old fart.

Need pics of the dueling smokers and the smoked products.

Turns out he's not running his smoker. He's got the deep fryer out for chicken, onion rings, and jalepeno poppers.
I can't wait to see how my ribs turn out. I'll definitely post pics of the finished product. No Zima today. Just pure vitamin-R!

IMG_1002.JPG

In honor of Father's Day this is a little late in the day but it how 'bout some father quotes of wisdom that have stuck with you and shaped you.

Here are two of my favorites:

"If it ain't yours, it ain't yours. Don't touch stuff that ain't yours."

My dad was a brick mason/builder. Another one that has been something I passed onto my kids:

"Never borrow another man's tools. If you're in a bind and you have to borrow another man's tools, return them cleaner and in better working order than you got them."

Good man, I still miss him even though he'd be 90 now.

Happy father's day.

8CE9A273-8BF0-402A-A8ED-D32720657300_zpsevbcra3m.jpg

FB0AFE4B-BB7B-4E04-8F57-B5F4A649C86E_zpsaij3vrpe.jpg

Oh hell yes...

I think we should update the Beckerhead application to require 30 or maybe 50 snark posts to be eligible for status.

I think we should update the Beckerhead application to require 30 or maybe 50 snark posts to be eligible for status.

absolutely!

i've put your number on the block for the next person then? :D

#21. high auction. let's go!

looks like i'm the only live mod left ;)

Sorry, the lobster bake dinner is sold out.

Cut anything other than yourself with those 'dashi lately?

dude. i'm sure that between any sane three people with a car, that 3x the lobster for 1/2 the price could be found within 10 miles of that event.

i wanna see their tools and shop at least once :D

yes, the Dashis have been useful. they will get more wood time too as well.

As far as using a backhoe of any type, there is no access to the area with such a piece of equipment.

whining...

whinging...

commmistering...

how about an air digger? not common, but rentable, and super cool - popular with arborists, and i'd own one, but the compressor part...

actually, it would be cool to own the hardware, and rent the high flow compressor if i needed one.

then again, have you seen the micro excavators they have these days? scaresly bigger than a riding lawn mower, but saves an old back a lot of labors.

This will be one of those rare exceptions with me where I will throw money at the problem to make it go away.

I have way too many other things that NEED to be done that I can do easily, so rather than spend a couple of weeks playing in the mud, I'll get someone else to do it, while I go on to more easily accomplished tasks, such as building more raised beds in the garden, putting in fence posts, cleaning out buildings, tearing down old barns, robbing honey bees and progrssing on my knife and sword designs.

And work on getting my Texas Navy Admiral uniform finished.

I'm a big metalhead and for Father's Day my wife got us Doyle tickets. Nothing like some aggressive geetar by a legend to clear the cobwebs out. Dead center, right against the stage riser the whole show.

drowning your wife in public and posting pics of it killed snark -- and probably deep sixed your defense as well.

drowning your wife in public and posting pics of it killed snark -- and probably deep sixed your defense as well.

No wonder I've felt uneasy for a couple days.

Happy taco Tuesday!
Best dang taco I made today, I did a heavy rub of dried peppers, black pepper, cayenne powder and a pinch of salt and topped it off with a hint of kale

Ha!
Is that a low-carb, low fiber taco, or did you fold the plate around it and eat the whole business? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back