TiSpine LionSteel new knife 2013

Did you reblast yours yourself, looks like a sandblast. Still looks very nice.

Haven't done anything to it except getting the action smoother with hundreds of repetitions. I can open it now with just my thumb. Not very fast but good enough. The balance, weight, thinness and aesthetics are great. If only the blade was sharper.

If only the blade was sharper.

That's something that can easily be remedied! My TiSpine will silently slice phone book paper by just looking at it ..... well, almost! Seriously considering adding one of the matte versions to the collection, however, just bought a PM-1 and want to get a SR-1 mini as soon as they hit the US market. The matte TiSpine will come after that.

That's something that can easily be remedied! My TiSpine will silently slice phone book paper by just looking at it ..... well, almost! Seriously considering adding one of the matte versions to the collection, however, just bought a PM-1 and want to get a SR-1 mini as soon as they hit the US market. The matte TiSpine will come after that.

Did you sharpen yours?

I'll definitely be getting the SR-2 Mini (it has been called both SR-1 & SR-2) also in matte gray. The TS-1 and SR-2 are nice to carry every day.

The PM-1 is beefy with a great looking blade. Another beefy one is the one I ordered earlier today: DPX GEAR HEST 2.0 T3 Triple Black Stealth Limited Edition Titanium Folder built by LionSteel. These two are more for when I go out in the country.

Congrats RamZar. Matt one is very nice.
Mine was very sharp from the factory.
About opening. Mine has very strong detent, so I loosened little bit pivot, put some grease and opened it hundreds (or thousends?) times. Be patient, it needs its time.

Did you sharpen yours?

Yup. While mine was pretty sharp from the factory, I immediately refined it on my Wicked Edge. Pretty much kept the factory bevel (which was a very even 22 degrees / side), but did a lot of work refining it. Love the way Elmax (and Sleipner as well) sharpens up. It whittles hair with ease now.

Haven't done anything to it except getting the action smoother with hundreds of repetitions. I can open it now with just my thumb. Not very fast but good enough. The balance, weight, thinness and aesthetics are great. If only the blade was sharper.

Sorry I quoted the wrong person, it was meant for Wowaboro. His TiSpine looks to have been sandblasted more like a CRK.

Sorry I quoted the wrong person, it was meant for Wowaboro. His TiSpine looks to have been sandblasted more like a CRK.
My TiSpine was originally grey shine, and I did sandblasted handle and clip like on Sebenzas.
Now is available factory version of matte grey TiSpine, but this is "not enough matte" for me :)

I traded into a TiSpine at the Southern California Blade Expo today. I got one with the shiny Blue/Purple/Violet handle. They had all the other variants there including the matte handled versions, but the shiny Blue/Purple/Violet really spoke to me. What a beautiful knife! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fortunately, the individual I did the trade with had several SR-1s and I took the opportunity to use the utility tool that comes with them to remove the pocket clip on my TiSpine. While I'm sure having done that will draw the ire of the manufacturer and possibly void my warranty, the notion that I've now put my TiSpine in mortal danger of overextending its lockbar is ridiculous. I mean, if I'm not worried about taking the pocket clip off a CRKT Eros with paper thin scales and a sticky lockbar, why on earth would I be concerned about taking the pocket clip off a TiSpine with substantial scales and a non-sticky lockbar? :confused: Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it unless, like me, they're willing to throw caution to the wind.

Last edited:
I traded into a TiSpine at the Southern California Blade Expo today. I got one with the shiny Blue/Purple/Violet handle. They had all the other variants there including the matte handled versions, but the shiny Blue/Purple/Violet really spoke to me. What a beautiful knife! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fortunately, the individual I did the trade with had several SR-1s and I took the opportunity to use the utility tool that comes with them to remove the pocket clip on my TiSpine. While I'm sure having done that will draw the ire of the manufacturer and possibly void my warranty, the notion that I've now put my TiSpine in mortal danger of overextending its lockbar is ridiculous. I mean, if I'm not worried about taking the pocket clip off a CRKT Eros with paper thin scales and a sticky lockbar, why on earth would I be concerned about taking the pocket clip off a TiSpine with substantial scales and a non-sticky lockbar? :confused: Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it unless, like me, they're willing to throw caution to the wind.

Glad you finally got ahold of one. They are great knives. You are living on the edge with the removal of the clip!:D

My TiSpine was originally grey shine, and I did sandblasted handle and clip like on Sebenzas.
Now is available factory version of matte grey TiSpine, but this is "not enough matte" for me :)

Very nice job on it I thought about doing that as well but decided to wait for the matte version.

You are living on the edge with the removal of the clip!:D
bth_6b6ee290134ddfcb27a2997ec19a18ed.gif
;)

The only framelock I own that I consider to be a suspect for possible lockbar overextension is my CRKT Eros. That's because the scales on an Eros are extremely thin and my example has a sticky lockbar. Furthermore, the clip on an Eros offers no real resistance to lockbar overtravel, so I removed it. How do I prevent its lockbar from overextending? It's quite simple, really. I hold the knife in one hand and squeeze the lockbar between the thumb and the side of my index finger with the other. That technique effectively converts my entire hand into a safety and makes overextending the Eros's lockbar all but impossible. It will work with any framelock folder when the clip isn't in the way. And if it ever gets to the point where the lock won't release when I use that technique, I'll wrap up the knife and return it to the manufacturer.

PS: Some may consider having to unlock a framelock with two hands unacceptable, but for me it's really no big deal. Do I feel I need to use this technique to protect against overextending the lockbar on my clipless TiSpine? Absolutely not. The lockup on my TiSpine is early, unlocking it is as smooth as silk, and the lockbar thickness is more than adequate for a knife its size. I just wanted to offer it up as an option for those who are thinking about removing the clip on their TiSpines.

Last edited:

Congrats on your new TiSpine.

I can open mine up one-handed using my thumb but angling for the lower portion of the hole.

I have to get to the next Southern California Blade Expo. Is it just annual meet? Are there any other such meets in SoCal?

Got my matte gray today. I will have to say it is a perfect example, everything is flawless. Pics later!

Does LionSteel make a glass breaker screw like I have on my PM-1 but for the TS-1 in matte gray? If so, how can I order one.

My TiSpine is running very smoothly now and it has a great balance of aesthetics, practicality, slimness and balanced weight for EDC.

Back