Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end something positive and quite unexpected will probably come out of all of this and put a big smile on everyone's face.

I could be wrong, but things go like that a lot in life. It's never as bad as you think... damn you pesky thoughts!

AFTER THIS ALERT - I discovered that I had 118 pages of ATTACHMENTS since 2017 roughly 3,000 attachments. :eek: What to do? Well of course, DELETE.
Started with the last page, obviously the very oldest and likely the least consequential attachments as most of these are old sale threads. I should have deleted photos then. ANYWAY - tried to group delete. 🤔 NOT happening - can only do one attachment at a time - AND - as someone noted - with each single delete on the last page you are brought back to the first page - 118 pages away. 🥵 NOT GOOD!

So - FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, aka FYI - I discovered that VIEW the POST takes me to the original thread - for a sale thread that brings up multiple images at a time. I EDIT the sales thread - delete the images in that specific thread. Takes care of 4 or 5 at a time. - DON't FORGET to SAVE the edits. Then - close the thread page and I return to the correct page of attachments. Keep doing this - viewing each post - delete your attachments as you see fit. A no brainer on old sale threads but might require some consideration when the attachments are relative to a discussion post. Your call.

Something to know. After you VIEW POST and delete its images you will not see that you have done that back on the attachment page - UNLESS - you go off that page and come back. I discovered that I just go down the page, trusting that I am deleting as I go. When I'm done with a page I click back to page 1 and then return to the last page. Note that there are fewer pages then when you started as a bunch of attachments have been deleted.

Something Else to Know - Even after deleting several pages of attachments I am still NOT ALLOWED to post images. I suspect I will need to LOG OUT (which I rarely do) and then log in again with my verification in order for the changes to occur. I don't know this. I will log out later and try that.

NOPE - logging off is NOT the solution - apparently I have another 1800 images or so to delete. o_O That's another hour or 2 ...

Good luck with this mess.

Spark Spark Blues Blues

How do I delete attachments from locked threads or threads where I have insufficient privileges?

Everybody stop your bitching!!! - especially that part about membership fees.

I'm in my twilight years and figured it out. So can you other knuckleheads. Sure, the Attachment road is convenient but using a hosting site is only an additional step or two. But heads up!!!!! Those "free" hosting sites are going to bring your using them to a halt pretty darn quick if you don't sign on with them and maybe pay a little token.

I'm so far over the limit its kind of embarrassing. I spend toooo much time here o_O

Deleting one at a time isn't going to happen. Not worth my time. I'm just going to use Imgur until something better comes along. If it does a photobucket, so be it. Today, I shot pool with a friend, had a cheeseburger and fries, and fixed my truck. Having to use Imgur on BF to post my usual drivel on the Totin' today thread doesn't even rise to the level of aggravation. It was a good day :)

If images are deleted it will destroy threads in some of the forums, take Traditional Knives for example, there are several threads over a 1000 pages, losing photos in the Old Knives thread for example will cause us to lose an important source of research and history of knives and companies 100 plus years old, it already suffered from the Photobucket fiasco.
Guess I'm too old to understand the problem, I belong to other forums using similar software and photos have never been an issue.

You have almost 1500 images. You by yourself are using over a gigabyte of disk space.
Not really surprising to me considering I’ve been here for 20 years…

So will I be able to purchase a higher level membership to allow for additional hosting, or maybe see more adds?? These seem like reasonable options no?

I wouldn't say your gold membership is "worthless", you've gotten plenty of use out of it.

Perhaps you misunderstood but I JUST upgraded to Gold YESTERDAY under the assumption that I had used up the images allowed on my Basic membership.

I recon that probably others upped their membership $$$ as well for the same reason. In my opinion it would have been nice if you had made an announcement before taking action as this should have been anticipated.

It would also perhaps have been a good idea to have a solution ready to go before taking this action but here we are…

I'm just going to say it now, I can't see a way that any limit is going to work for me or many long time active members. Apparently I blew past the limit over 9000 images ago... so now the choice is deleting the 2 decades of history to fit the new rules or not being able to exercise the benefit of my craftsman membership to permanently host images in my sub-forum?

This forum lives on pictures, deleting them will ruin this place and forcing paying members to remotely host images will cause many members to just stop buying memberships...it's really the biggest perk beyond removing the ads in my opinion.
Immediately renders the usefulness of this website moot if you can’t see historic photos. I get it I guess it’s about server space and money. Just deleted over 1,000 of my photos. Not that it matters really anyway.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but maybe a limit per year rather than a total limit.
If images have to be deleted, maybe start with deleteing attachments to long gone members
As I said, just a thought, and not sure if it works or not.
I don't know the answer to the storage problem, but I do know it sucks when you go to a long running thread(such as the CRK images thread) and all the photos of knives you no longer see are missing

Last edited:
Well my man, I cannot offer unlimited image hosting for $30 or $75 a year.
Understood. Makes sense. I spent about an hour and freed up some space for everyone. Over 1.000 pics are gone. Oh well.

With all due respect Ed, not everyone who isn't happy about this is just "bitching." There are some legit issues being raised here.
You don’t want to search for a historic knife and find a deleted pic either?

Folks just need to calm the hell down and wait and see what the solution is gonna be. Knee-jerk reactions are rarely a good idea. Wait for Spark to figure it out, it's not a dire emergency here. Chill out!

Not really surprising to me considering I’ve been here for 20 years…

So will I be able to purchase a higher level membership to allow for additional hosting, or maybe see more adds?? These seem like reasonable options no?

Perhaps you misunderstood but I JUST upgraded to Gold YESTERDAY under the assumption that I had used up the images allowed on my Basic membership.

I recon that probably others upped their membership $$$ as well for the same reason. In my opinion it would have been nice if you had made an announcement before taking action as this should have been anticipated.

It would also perhaps have been a good idea to have a solution ready to go before taking this action but here we are…
The upload thing only started in 2017 2011, FYI. So 7 13 years ago, not 20, but that's moot. (Edited to correct numbers.)

Just a thought, but maybe a limit per year rather than a total limit.
Also maybe start with deleteing attachments to long gone members
As I said, just a thought, and not sure if it works or not.

Maybe a general clean-up would help. As per my earlier comment that is still waiting on an answer from staff/moderators, I noticed that some of the attachments I wanted to delete are in old locked threads. Why does BF even keep all that stuff?

For instance, King of the Cheese had a massive thread go down in flames before he and a few other infamous members met the ban hammer. How much data is attached to that thread alone? How much data is tied up in locked threads in general?

Maybe a general clean-up would help. As per my earlier comment that is still waiting on an answer from staff/moderators, I noticed that some of the attachments I wanted to delete are in old locked threads. Why does BF even keep all that stuff?

For instance, King of the Cheese had a massive thread go down in flames before he and a few other infamous members met the ban hammer. How much data is attached to that thread alone? How much data is tied up in locked threads in general?

Agreed. And giving the benefit of the doubt, that may already be happening (I sure hope so). I'm guessing there is a ton of clean-up that would help a lot. Time-intensive probably, but apparently needed.

I don't believe deleting locked threads deletes the attachments...

I don't know how the software works so I can't say, but I know locking the threads prevents me from deleting mine. I'd imagine that moderators could figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back