Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really have a dog in this show as I've been using Imgur pretty much since I joined here so these developments don't impact me much aside from what might happen to the historical archive. The latter concern being in the event that hosting platforms become more restrictive with broader usage. Imgur was watching when Photobucket made their infamous changes and they assured their users at the time that they wouldn't be taking that route. However, never say never, it is always a risk in our digital age. Should they decide to flip the proverbial bird to their user base, there are almost 7k pics from me alone that will go bye-bye here.

Spark knows his hardware better than any of us but storage and its configuration and management aren't free and isn't necessarily hands off all the time. I trust he'll find some palatable solutions for folks.

Last edited:
I don't know how the software works so I can't say, but I know locking the threads prevents me from deleting mine. I'd imagine that moderators could figure it out.
There's no way that the mods are going to comb through all the closed threads and then cherry pick images to be removed...as the software does not, to my knowledge, provide a way for us to batch delete images. (I checked both yesterday and today.)

Now, if the software is modified somewhere down the line, perhaps it would be possible, but more likely something handled by Spark as the admin.

I don't really have a dog in this show as I've been using Imgur pretty much since I joined here so these developments don't impact me much aside from what might happen to the historical archive. Imgur was watching when Photobucket made their infamous changes and they assured their users at the time that they wouldn't be taking that route. However, never say never, it is always a risk in our digital age. Should they decide to flip the proverbial bird to their user base, there are almost 7k pics from me alone that will go bye-bye here.

Spark knows his hardware better than any of us but storage and its configuration and management aren't free and isn't necessarily hands off all the time. I trust he'll find some palatable solutions for folks.
It really is the historical archive that I think most of us are really concerned about. There is, or perhaps soon was anyway, a lot of great stuff here.

The upload thing only started in 2017 2011, FYI. So 7 13 years ago, not 20, but that's moot. (Edited to correct numbers.)
Just imagine how many pics I’d saved up to post during those first seven years! 😜

Why does everyone think Spark is going to be nefarious and start deleting things left and right? He said to not even delete your own stuff until a solution has been figured out.
That's been overlooked in the rush to judgment.

I'm sure something can and will be worked out...but if folks have made choices which can't be reversed...it'll be too late.

ETA: I've had a ton of my images lost on this site over the past 25 years, and where and when I can, I've restored many, especially in the Traditional Forum. If Spark needs a hand to raise money for new equipment, I'm happy to help.

Why does everyone think Spark is going to be nefarious and start deleting things left and right? He said to not even delete your own stuff until a solution has been figured out.

Agreed. I should reword my comments - they are more in line with concerns regarding what happens when a hosting service goes rogue.

Been overlooked literally 1,000 times today and sorry you mods have to deal with the aftermath of "hey guys were having trouble so give us some time to figure it out".

Agreed. I should reword my comments - they are more in line with concerns regarding what happens when a hosting service goes rogue.
Dylan, for the record, my reply above was in no way in connection with your earlier post...so rest easy on that score.

(I too had a paid photo site go down the tubes on me some years back...taking innumerable images I can no longer recover. C'est la vie.)

It really is the historical archive that I think most of us are really concerned about. There is, or perhaps soon was anyway, a lot of great stuff here.

Blues and RoyalHolic raise great points and I added to my previous comments to clarify. Though easing the resource burden, hosting platforms take the control away from Spark with regards to preserving the historical value of this site. We, as users, end up being at their mercy. That's why it is foolish to believe that Spark is up to no good here - he loves the same stuff that we do and I have no doubt he's working some magic.

There's no way that the mods are going to comb through all the closed threads and then cherry pick images to be removed...as the software does not, to my knowledge, provide a way for us to batch delete images. (I checked both yesterday and today.)

Now, if the software is modified somewhere down the line, perhaps it would be possible, but more likely something handled by Spark as the admin.
Come on,what else do you have to do this year :)

Blues and RoyalHolic raise great points and I added to my previous comments to clarify. Though easing the resource burden, hosting platforms take the control away from Spark with regards to preserving the historical value of this site. We, as users, end up being at their mercy. That's why it is foolish to believe that Spark is up to no good here - he loves the same stuff that we do and I have no doubt he's working some magic.
I can only speak for myself, in that in no way do I blame or am trying to criticize the powers that be here - other than stating it’s entirely unprofessional to lash out at anyone raising concern. That said, is the appeal of this website not largely based on enjoying and searching for pics of knives in addition to sharing knowledge? I thought so at least. Regardless, I deleted all of my pics, most being probably useless anyway. Now that I think about it, less pics on here probably would have saved me $70,000 or so over the last several years. 😂

Last edited:
Like I said before, I wouldn't rush to delete pics if you don't have a burning need to. I'm checking out new hosting solutions and we may be moving in March to a new solution with room to breathe. Y'all might want to chill out until more information comes down the pike

isnt every picture on this site advertising? have the manufacturers pay

That's like Verizon charging you every time you receive and unwanted text message.

I have 144 pages of images (3599 total), and starting from the back, it took about 46 page to count 500 images that I can't delete due to threads being locked. So there's a good chance there's another 500+ images I can't delete in the remaining 98 pages, which means I could never get below my 1000 allotment. Don't mind there being a limit moving forward, but there's got to be a way to deal with the past stuff like this...some sort of "grandfathering" of existing images so they don't count against our total.

You are grandfathered and all your pics can stay. You just have to use 3rd party image hosting until Spark figures out what to do to allow adding more without going unlimited again for free.

Indeed. This sucks big time, especially for those of us already well over our limit. But it isn't near the level of suckage as the Photobucket internet-breaking saga of 20xx. Spark has control of it this time, and I'm sure he will do his best to come up with an amicable outcome.

For those who don't know June 20 2017

Spark Spark Blues Blues

How do I delete attachments from locked threads or threads where I have insufficient privileges?

Again, I would recommend everyone stop deleting photos, that negatively impact the history of the forum. IF you can edit your post inside a locked thread, I imagine that deleting images and saving the post will remove them from the forum storage.

But I would wait for Spark to figure out the next step, and use a 3rd party host for your newer images until then.

Spark Spark , I do not believe that you are doing us a favor by storing our photographs. Quite the opposite, our photographs make Blade Forums interesting and worth while. I would have no interest in a Forum without photos. I certainly am not going to spend hours tediously deleting my photographs one at a time. You can delete them all if you like. This glitch has obviously been going for for years. I do not understand why the plug had to be pulled so abruptly without any warning. It is probably time for me to check out of here for a while.

Edit DocJekl DocJekl Kbrasmodeler Kbrasmodeler SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak , you can guffaw, roll your eyes, or “weep” for me, but being disappointed is not the same as panic or hysteria. I am more than happy to wait to see what happens. However, it looks like our choices will be deleting our attachments, paying more money, or going to a third party hosting site. If that is the case, I would probably just delete my photographs. My point was that our attachments add valuable content to Blade Forums which makes the site more appealing to paying members. It is not just a one way street.

Last edited:
Spark Spark , I do not believe that you are doing us a favor by storing our photographs. Quite the opposite, our photographs make Blade Forums interesting and worth while. I would have no interest in a Forum without photos. I certainly am not going to spend hours tediously deleting my photographs one at a time. You can delete them all if you like. This glitch has obviously been going for for years. I do not understand why the plug had to be pulled so abruptly without any warning. It is probably time for me to check out of here.
Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back