Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea for a SPARK /Moderators update thread Blues Blues :thumbsup:
I've notified Spark Spark about the new thread and I've made it a sticky. So folks, please check the top of the forum for any new updates as they become available.

Otherwise, there's a good chance that relevant information may be overlooked in the noise.

Thanks.

Just to be clear, you’re calling everyone that deleted pics a problem? Do you think it was a problem perhaps not informing all the members somehow before they all got error messages that they exceeded their limit which naturally would motivate a reasonable person to delete some messages to free up space so they could continue to post images? I’m not saying it is, but you must have an opinion on that too. 🤷‍♂️
I didn't know what the error message was about, so I went and looked for a tech support thread and read through as much as there was at the time. For my part, while I thought about deleting pics I also figured that doing so would be irreversible and would contribute to the result we want to avoid. Would a heads up from Spark Spark ahead of things help avoid the panic that followed? Sure, but my thought was that it would be reasonable not to just start deleting, thereby compounding the situation and mucking up all the threads I'd contributed to since I abandoned using Imgur in August of '22 and started posting pics directly.

Perhaps I worded too strongly, but there's a difference between an individual being a problem, per se, and reacting in such a way as to contribute to making a given problem worse. I'll continue to use Imgur in the meantime and hope Spark Spark can find a solution to our current dilemma. I just wish that a lot of the info that most of us want to preserve was not already gone.

I didn't know what the error message was about, so I went and looked for a tech support thread and read through as much as there was at the time. For my part, while I thought about deleting pics I also figured that doing so would be irreversible and would contribute to the result we want to avoid. Would a heads up from Spark Spark ahead of things help avoid the panic that followed? Sure, but my thought was that it would be reasonable not to just start deleting, thereby compounding the situation and mucking up all the threads I'd contributed to since I abandoned using Imgur in August of '22 and started posting pics directly.

Perhaps I worded too strongly, but there's a difference between an individual being a problem, per se, and reacting in such a way as to contribute to making a given problem worse. I'll continue to use Imgur in the meantime and hope Spark Spark can find a solution to our current dilemma. I just wish that a lot of the info that most of us want to preserve was not already gone.
I didn’t even know we had a tech support forum so I should have too or at least I don’t recall we had one or even think to check if so. But honestly, it’s not like any of my pics were that important or historical, too bad I can’t delete all my opinions but got the message and won’t post any of those either going forward 🙄. I can always repost pictures at some point. I’m confident they’ll figure something out. I assumed it was similar to private messages where I suddenly couldn’t post so I had to go in and delete them. I get the fact that storage space isn’t free and it makes sense to have limits.

Anyway, I’ve learned a ton from this forum over the years and curated a collection I’m very happy with in part due to the knowledge gained here. Would think better planning for the future of this website will be a positive outcome of this debacle. Oh wait that’s an opinion. Oops.

Last edited:
You are grandfathered and all your pics can stay. You just have to use 3rd party image hosting until Spark figures out what to do to allow adding more without going unlimited again for free.
Understood, but what I meant was grandfathering the existing stuff while also resetting everyone's counter to zero. But probably not possible, and would end up with the same issue again at some point anyway. Was using imgur the first couple years here, so my 3600 images took about 6 years, so about 600 per year. Would be happy if I could get 500 or 1000 per year as part of the membership as long as the cost wasn't too crazy.

As I understand it though jlauffer jlauffer - the count is not "per year" but in total with your membership. Keeping your membership current does not add more attachments to your count per year. You are/would be limited to a max number per year per your membership. SO - each year you would likely need to delete the photos/attachments from the last year to keep in compliance - OR - store your photos on another hosting site.

I would rather pay more to BF than pay to host on another site but my pockets aren't that deep. :( I would still need to monitor my attachments and delete periodically. I would, as standard practice going forward, delete sale thread photos within a few months of closing and will not willy nilly be adding GIFs or other casual non knife content to my postings.

As I understand it though jlauffer jlauffer - the count is not "per year" but in total with your membership. Keeping your membership current does not add more attachments to your count per year. You are/would be limited to a max number per year per your membership. SO - each year you would likely need to delete the photos/attachments from the last year to keep in compliance - OR - store your photos on another hosting site.

I would rather pay more to BF than pay to host on another site but my pockets aren't that deep. :( I would still need to monitor my attachments and delete periodically. I would, as standard practice going forward, delete sale thread photos within a few months of closing and will not willy nilly be adding GIFs or other casual non knife content to my postings.
Right, what I'm saying is that if it could be made a yearly allotment, at a cost that wasn't too crazy, I would be interested in that as a solution.

Blues Blues After reading through most of the threads associated with the attachment issues you may have to open a thread for those that need their hands held while out in public. 😉

Blues Blues After reading through most of the threads associated with the attachment issues you may have to open a thread for those that need their hands held while out in public. 😉
They'll have to send me photos in advance...and they'd better be good looking women.

(Yes, I'm a proud, unrepentant, toxic male of a certain age.)

I don't understand people rushing to delete their pictures when they've been advised not to
pFkehEN.gif

Used to have a girlfriend with one green eye and one red; she'd be blinkin' me 'stop.go.stop.go'

I had no idea I could delete posted images before this issue came up. I went in and deleted a butt-load of pics from ads I’ve posted in the exchange…

Was blissfully unaware that there were any limits....I know, ignorance of the law etc...but can't be the only one who was in this state of ignorance :oops: Perhaps it should be clearer, then this situation might have been avoided?

Does the practice of lengthy multiple quoting containing all the original images have some impact on Forum storage? Seem to recall that in the long distant past this practice was actually discouraged.

In the meantime, let's hope no permanent damage is done, hasty deletion seems to be unwise but fortunately tedious and time-consuming ;)

Does the practice of lengthy multiple quoting containing all the original images have some impact on Forum storage?
Will, I've examined the images shown in the first few pages of my 353-page list of attachments, and they all are photos that originated with me. Any quotes I've made, single or multiple, that have photos in the quotes do NOT result in photos originally posted by others also getting assigned to me. So I don't think there's any "double storage" of images due to quotes. But that's just the opinion of a naive non-expert.

- GT

Spark Spark
If after researching a solution to this, assuming that there’s no financially viable way to remove image limits. A few suggestions to help members manage their images would be

1) a way to sort your images by thread so you could quickly delete those in the for sale category or other categories where preserving them isn’t relevant

2) an option to select multiple images at a time for deletion.

Not sure how much effort would be needed for those two simple improvements, but they would make it much easier for everyone to manage their images.

Last edited:
I have IMGUR and used to use it all the time on here. But I can’t remember how to post pics from IMGUR to here.

I’m doing it from my iPhone. I have uploaded pics. I can’t remember what to do next.
I'm not 100% in that regard as I don't use Imgur, but just looking at it on my phone it seems like I couldn't find to upload on the mobile website so I switched to desktop site on my phone I then uploaded a photo so it will have a "Grab Link" tab, copy that link then bring it over here and click insert image and paste and click insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back