Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are grandfathered and all your pics can stay. You just have to use 3rd party image hosting until Spark figures out what to do to allow adding more without going unlimited again for free
This's how I'm understanding things at the moment
While it's a bummer to have to switch how you post pictures going forward (I hate change) as long as the photos that have been posted up until now aren't removed, the old threads aren't ruined. That is, unless everyone panics...

I don't understand people rushing to delete their pictures when they've been advised not to
pFkehEN.gif

Spark Spark , I do not believe that you are doing us a favor by storing our photographs. Quite the opposite, our photographs make Blade Forums interesting and worth while. I would have no interest in a Forum without photos. I certainly am not going to spend hours tediously deleting my photographs one at a time. You can delete them all if you like. This glitch has obviously been going for for years. I do not understand why the plug had to be pulled so abruptly without any warning. It is probably time for me to check out of here.
It's not an airport. No need to announce your departure. If this is the threshold of your endurance, I weep for you.

World
Two reactions:
either

_101979307_mediaitem101979306.jpg

or,

_101980608_mediaitem101980605.jpg

I remember the panic in the photobucket pay or go era and the world did not end after that.

World did not end but it sure left a lot of ruined threads in the forums, go to the early days of the "Old Knives" thread in the Traditional Forum just as an example, many one of a kind vintage knife pictures lost.

Maybe a general clean-up would help. As per my earlier comment that is still waiting on an answer from staff/moderators, I noticed that some of the attachments I wanted to delete are in old locked threads. Why does BF even keep all that stuff?

For instance, King of the Cheese had a massive thread go down in flames before he and a few other infamous members met the ban hammer. How much data is attached to that thread alone? How much data is tied up in locked threads in general?
King of Cheese was banned? 😂😂😂. I blocked him a while ago. That guy had serious issues.

As alternatives are considered, I don’t think IMGUR is a great solution long term as eventually it’s likely just going to be a similar issue as photobucket was. Hope not but here is what I found so far…

On April 19, 2023, Imgur changed their terms of service and announced that they will delete "old, unused, and inactive content that is not tied to a user account. The new terms of service went into effect on May 15, 2023.[9][10] The move has drawn significant criticism as being indicative of the same fundamental problem encountered by users of other image hosting services (Photobucket, Webshots) where countless internet resources, many obscure, that relied on the long-term solvency of users' hosted images face the challenge of link rot.[11][12]

View attachment 2521471View attachment 2521472

Last edited:
Spark Spark , I do not believe that you are doing us a favor by storing our photographs. Quite the opposite, our photographs make Blade Forums interesting and worth while. I would have no interest in a Forum without photos. I certainly am not going to spend hours tediously deleting my photographs one at a time. You can delete them all if you like. This glitch has obviously been going for for years. I do not understand why the plug had to be pulled so abruptly without any warning. It is probably time for me to check out of here.
Reading is fundamental

Which is why Spark said not to start deleting images.
None of my images were that important and I was too far along by the time I read it was being worked on. Perhaps a permanent link or something similar to how they’ve been warning people not to use paypal F&F would have caught people’s eye earlier. Regardless, hope they find a good solution for real. Hard to understand why this came as such a sudden surprise though. Every good business plans for the future and anticipates what’s needed as they grow instead of waiting until something blows up, especially something core to the business/client relationship itself. Every good business also cares about the opinions of its clients as well but anyway.

Maybe this link can offer some unlimited web hosting solutions at a reasonable price…

https://www.hostingadvice.com/how-to/best-unlimited-web-hosting/

Last edited:
Excuse me whist I practice my "image hosting" skills

It's pretty easy. I don't like it, but I think it's cool for things like "let's see your knife today"

Probably wouldn't be good for research oriented threads. Who knows when postimage will axe the images.

If I can learn to do it with an economical T-Mobile Motorola phone, I'd wager most people can figure it out easy enough. I'm not very tech savvy.

You can be part of the problem or part of the solution when it comes to damaging the integrity and historical value of threads here. Deleting your photos here preemptively puts you in which camp?
Just to be clear, you’re calling everyone that deleted pics a problem? Do you think it was a problem perhaps not informing all the members somehow before they all got error messages that they exceeded their limit which naturally would motivate a reasonable person to delete some messages to free up space so they could continue to post images? I’m not saying it is, but you must have an opinion on that too. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Aside from some members needing everyone to hear their opinions, whether relevant or not...the reason why Spark Spark 's admonitions to wait and not take any irreversible steps seem go unnoticed is because everyone is using this thread as a bully pulpit.

There's plenty of time to throw hissy fits and throw the forum, Spark and the staff under the bus...but how about waiting for the site owner to report on solutions?

In fact, that gives me an idea. I'm going to open a thread for Spark Spark to update which will only be able to be reopened by him or staff members. Less chance of something of value being missed that way.

Question for y’all ~

If it ends up that we can no longer upload photos directly, and have to use a third party hosting service, which one is best?

Ease of use and privacy, price, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back