What lights do you guys own?

For those unaware about rechargeable batteries. Here is some additional info you may want to consider.

If you have a Surefire or just about any light that runs on CR123s you can get some Soshine 3.0 Volt RCR123s and they work great. (I get mine from Banggood) This can save you a ton of money. You want to make sure you get 3.0 volt cells. However, some of the single cell LED Surefire lights will actually run a 3.7 volt (16340) cell fine. Also if you have a two cell light, you can try out 17670 EFEST cells. They are 3.7 volts. A lot of the E series LED Surefire lights that run two CR123s will run fine on a single 17670.

If you have a older Surefire Incandescent and want to upgrade the output, check out Lumens Factory. He has some nice Hot Wires. He even has some LED drop ins too that are a good deal for the money.

If I am running 16340s, 17670s, or 18650s my goto cell is the Efest. I get them from Mtn Electronics or RTD Vapor.

Also know the differences between Protected (PCB) and non protected cells. Button top and Flat top too. Know that protected cells are slightly longer and may not fit all lights due to length. I would suggest Button Top Protected cells for most lights.

NEVER EVER EVER buy batteries with FIRE in the name. They are typically Chinese junk. Some look to be filled with drywall. I am not kidding. To be safe, don't buy batteries from either Ebay or Amazon. They are almost always not the mAh they claim and are counterfeit fakes. Once again, Mtn Electronics or RTD Vapor and you are safe. I can't stress the importance of buying quality cells from a reputable dealer. You can also harvest your own Unprotected, flattop 18650s from old laptop battery packs. Google that if you are interested. It is easy.
I run either Nitecore or X-Star chargers.

I probably have close to 75 Surefires and a 100 other lights. I have been collecting for years, and like you guys buy custom knives, I have dozens of custom lights.

Read this:
Some of the best out of the box lights you can get are from Vinhnguyen54 (Vinh) over at Candle Power Forums. Here is his website: SkyLumen.com
I see one of the folks in this thread listed some. His lights will end with a (vn) in the name. So, for example, if it is a Nitecore Headlamp, it will read HC90vn. <---BTW, the best headlight I have ever owned. IF you want a great performance light that will impress you and others, check out Vinhs work.

Hope that helps some of you folks who may be just getting into lights or just curious about them. There of course is a endless amount of info on lights.

[emoji106][emoji106]tons of knowledge there. Thanks Ric

You will probably get all your pre-orders from S!K before an inlay ships in the large Inkosi; unless they are just using the 25 scale which is possible. I will be able to tell you shortly.

As an S!K fan, I know you are OK with waiting!

Having waited more than 3 years (another 2 years to go) for my Randall knife order from the shop directly, I have conditioned myself very well [emoji56] I usually order my Randall from the dealers to skip the 5 years wait but decided order 2 directly to complete the "experience".

I am currently running mostly off 18650 cells. The Eagletac DX30LC2 is compact enough to sit in the rear pocket of my 5.11 tactical pants and shorts and the HDS sits in a custom leather holster and is fitted with an 18650 tube. I can understand the constrains of people who goes out in business pants but for those of you who are in cargo pants 18650 shouldn't be a problem.

Since some of you folks like the smaller AA or AAA lights, I should have mentioned: If you like AAA and AA lights and you have a single cell light (ONLY TRY THIS WITH SINGLE CELL LIGHTS) If you are brave, you can try putting a 10440 cell in a AAA or a 14500 cells in your AA light. :thumbup:

Don't try this with 2 cell lights. The voltage will be way too high! You would go from 3 volts to 7.4 and fry stuff fast and let the magical smoke out of your light.

Ok, so let me explain: A typical AA or AAA cell is around 1.2 (rechargeable) or 1.5 (Primary). They cells I mentioned, 10440 & 14500 are 3.7 volts respectively. So in SOME cases if you boost the voltage, you can boost the output. Results can vary, but I can tell you lots of lights this trick works and works with amazing results. Google your light and the cell. Someone has probably already tried it. Some lights, this is a no no and you can and will melt leds or electronics. So this isn't for the faint of heart.
Obviously, you wouldn't do this looking for long run times. This is for something like 30 second bursts. The Streamlight Micro with a 10440 really jumps up in output!

If you only own one light, don't try this. lol

Some of you already own these, but if you want a cool small light that is a pocket rocket and runs on either AA or 14500's a good option to look up is the EagleTac D25A. I suggest the Aluminum version if you want to run 14500's. The aluminum light dissipates heat much better than Ti. Ti looks and feels better though. ha!

Sheeet! And I had bought a case of SureFire batteries on Amazon about 2 months ago. They do state Made in USA on the package and they were from Amazon and not an affiliated seller!

Fenix PD35
Olight S10
Thrunite TiHi
these three work well to cover my needs. And i got two for free!

Sheeet! And I had bought a case of SureFire batteries on Amazon about 2 months ago. They do state Made in USA on the package and they were from Amazon and not an affiliated seller!

I should have been more clear. I was Mostly referring to Rechargeable cells. However, there are tons of knock off SF cells sold on Ebay and Amazon. I only buy them from Authorized retailers. If you use alot of SF cells, sign up on the SF site for emails. They will sometimes put the batteries on sale. Especially likely during their "big" end of the year sale. Last time, I got them directly from SF for $1.25 each shipped. Which is a great deal! When you first sign up, they usually give you a Coupon Code for 10% off.

Also, when buying them anywhere, email the folks and ask the Expire date. If they don't reply, don't buy! You may find they are trying to sell you cells that are about to expire or even worse, expired. They have a 10 year shelf life when produced. Just so you know, I have a bunch of expired cells (I got them cheap) that work just fine. They do have a lower resting voltage, and I am sure that in a high drain use, they will sag quickly. But, what I am saying, is why pay for something you aren't getting?? Shelf life & max performance

I gotta give you a big....

WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This guy has his batteries and flashlights on lock down... Probably a figure four leg lock. He is a stylin', profilin', limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', FLASHLIGHT CARRYIN', Son of a gun!! WOOOOOHHHHHHH.

I love learning new stuff and as someone who has purchased SF cells on Amazon, good stuff to know!!

I am a big fan of rechargeable cells too. I like my cells to be full when I start my night hikes. The cells are usually not fully drained at the end of the hikes.

If I am on non rechargeable cells, I always struggle to decide if I should still keep the half drained cells for the next hike. I hate having to switch cells half way through my hike.

Don

Any experience with the streamlight USB rechargeable series? I am maybe not a fan of having an open port on a light, but a dead easy recharge maybe makes sense.

Any experience with the streamlight USB rechargeable series? I am maybe not a fan of having an open port on a light, but a dead easy recharge maybe makes sense.

Can't speak for Streamlight's USB system, but I have three Surefire Sidekicks that don't have any sort of cover on the recharging port, and I've not had a problem in several months of use, to include use in the rain.

But to your point on easy recharging, that absolutely makes up for any doubts I had. No guilt about using battery, no additional expense on getting into rechargeable cells, and USB rechargeables make great vehicle lights.

When the Sidekick first came out, I called and spoke to someone at SF about the Open USB Port concern. They claim it is "sealed" and you can clean it with alcohol and a toothbrush should the need arise. I have some other USB lights that are doing ok so far. I don't scuba dive with them, but ya know.

I like mine, other than the horrific PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) on LOW. (In very layman terms: PWM is basically battery saving high frequency flickering). If you want to see what I am talking about, put any led light on low, use your phone in Video mode, on a Apple record it in SloMotion. If the light uses PWM, you will likely see what I am talking about. Also check out your home LED bulbs. They have some of the worst. I say this because if you like to record videos in your house be aware. Most folks are not sensitive to this, but some are. Just be aware. Also know, not all lights or led bulbs use PWM.

BTW, not to derail the thread. If anyone has any flashlight related questions and would like more info on batteries. Feel free to email me anytime.

Some pocket carry 18650 in a ZebraLight. Very appealing user interface for those who regularly use a torch.

After a few Fenix and 4Sevens lights I jumped up to a Zebralight H600Fd MK III that is quite compact for an 18650 light, has really nice runtime, is solid as a rock and emits the most beautiful floody and warm looking light I've seen. This one is a headlamp, but still works fantastically as a handheld light. The frosted glass makes for a yard-filling floody beam pattern without a hotspot and it's great for hiking, taking the dogs out at night and for reading in the tent or in bed on the lowest levels.

I've got an SC600w MK III HI on order for a bit more distance and precision outdoors and a still very pocketable size. The two will be an unstoppable combo for my needs. I'm impressed with Zebralight.

I am fairly impressed with the SC600w MK III HI. It is a pocket rocket. I saw it 2 weeks ago when my friend bought it along for a quick walk. The throw easily out shine anything at that size. However, do note that it can only work with unprotected 18650 as the body is too short for protected cell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6GwCajukuU Here is a review my friend did on it

Don

Back