What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Hi Kevin,
please if you can, put here some pictures, I'm interested to see what way you have used, what differences are generated.

37f3330f56c68c6af1e23c248e2ce436.jpg
9ec4f8b6379ae56c7aef2a8163555dd6.jpg

Playing around with this style of knife. 1095, koa, g10 and carbon pins. Wish I'd made the handle sit just a bit closer to the plunge but hindsight is 20/20.

pb3zkzz.jpg
I like it! Looks like it would be an awesome steak knife, I could see myself slicing up a nice marbled ribeye with it. Man, I'm glad it's the first day of spring, I'm ready to start grilling and smoking some meat

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Finished these two up this week. The western chef is the one that got my hand. Oddly kinda sad to see it go.
e09b85cb654ed5b33b6df4ca7f21fda4.jpg
c939377a5a4414e22f1ef56d9f884e67.jpg

Finishing this one up as well. This is the first set of scales I've processed from a burl and stabilized in house. Pretty exciting for me.
389850da2a586851aea1c990886ef751.jpg

Finally a new design I've been working on. Happy with how it came out. It's ready for heat treat.
b995d29ac945348ad5cd1b4055b882fb.jpg

Last but not least I'm contouring and getting ready to finish this fighter. Based on one I made awhile back, they just wanted a slight drop point and glass break.
7861478e6563e2f9b9bb7cc67ba35ccd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Are you advertising your blades as coming "blooded for battle?" :D

Are you advertising your blades as coming "blooded for battle?" :D
I should lol. Amazingly that one is going to Japan. Now I can say at least some of my DNA is going there.

Kuraki Im Lovin that blade! Be careful Josh, the Japanese might use your DNA to clone knifemakers :p
Got this guy going home with a friend tomorrow, 52100 nakiri with Bolivian rosewood and stabilized maple handle, white g10 liners
nakiri_zpshoxv0odl.jpg

nakirichoil_zpsqeasdrwl.jpg

Ground out a new gyuto profile to try out, a little worried about the thick neck but I'll see how it feels with a handle on it, it is about 53mm tall at the heel so its pretty big.
240gyuto_zpsteicdxgp.jpg

Started a bunch of Ironwood wa type handles for my 9.5"+ knifes and a few nakiri, got 2 glued up. Lots of dots to connect still...
ironwa_zpsgglnnhn1.jpg

blackwoodferrule_zpsyqewimj5.jpg

gyutoglue_zpscysjqgcq.jpg

nakiriglue_zpsjhjvva9f.jpg

Sorry guys, I realize this is way Off Topic but thought I owed my friends here a little explanation for me not producing any knives lately. And what better thread than "What's going on in your shop".

Short story is the insurance company is making it impossible for me to make knives at this time. They want liability insurance as well as a shop separate from the house. And even that last one is iffy, that might not be enough for them. Anyway I haven't given up but for now I have to do other stuff in the shop. Sculptures are something my Dad use to make in the 70s-80s so it is a natural progression for me. A few examples in progress...

Sorry again for the off topic, now back to those awesome knives of yours.

Patrice I've been watching that stuff on IG and it's great. I love metalwork period. Thanks for sharing.

Come on patrice, I'm sure you could put a nice bevel on one of those wings or something :) New meaning for butterfly knife!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Patrice Lemée;17024205 said:
Sorry guys, I realize this is way Off Topic but thought I owed my friends here a little explanation for me not producing any knives lately. And what better thread than "What's going on in your shop".

Short story is the insurance company is making it impossible for me to make knives at this time. They want liability insurance as well as a shop separate from the house. And even that last one is iffy, that might not be enough for them. Anyway I haven't given up but for now I have to do other stuff in the shop. Sculptures are something my Dad use to make in the 70s-80s so it is a natural progression for me. A few examples in progress...

Sorry again for the off topic, now back to those awesome knives of yours.

I hate hearing stuff like this. We're going through something similar with the local municipality. Trying to upgrade to a new shop but they say we don't fit into the zoning :/ I hope you are able to continue making knives!

The sculptures are really neat though! It takes skill to be able to just switch gears and start creating another quality product so quickly!

Good luck with the insurance company.

Cheers,
mike

Finished these two up and my wife got pictures done.
0.130 aeb-l, carbon fiber, maple burl processed and stabilized with cactus juice in house, blue g10 liners, and 1/4" corby bolts.
3c42243ac08d96ad350b62f4cd196a0d.jpg

0.187" aeb-l, acid etched and stone washed, shade tree grass hounds tooth, brown/ green/ brown g10, and 1/4" corby bolts.
1e4caf3f97224a224cc631c74be047af.jpg

I put a new handle on an old Boker knife for my brother. The old handle was plastic and was poorly crafted. The new handle is bog oak frame handle, with carbon fiber and blue G10.

Last edited:
Back