Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify I really do like Barlow design knives and I do not own a TC Barlow. Under 100$ would be awesome but I'm ok with more. I'm fairly new to the forum and this is the first forum knife I will have the opportunity to be a part of buying and I don't care if it is a design that is of my taste (trapper and Barlow are my traditional folders of choice) or not I'm going to purchase at least one. Just don't want it thought that I am one of the folks that just wants it because it's a tc and it's under 100$. I even like the forum enough to support it by buying a membership.

Actually, IIRC, those CSC knives never did sell out, and Barry did some kind of giveaway or donation to get rid of them.
Are there any forum knives from the past years available anywhere that one may procure for the having of them if I wasn't around when they were done?

Keep a Hawk Eye on the Exchange, Forum Knives from various years do turn up there quite regularly.

On another note, I think Barry gave away a couple of Forum Knives as a kind act, hardly just to get rid of them....

I was searching for a thread and ran across this picture of GEC's black canvas micarta on a #14. This picture really shows the texture. I thought it may be helpful for some folks might not have seen such a closeup. The photo belongs to Pmew. Paul, I hope you don't mind me borrowing it for this discussion.

SNV30335_zpsa153afb1.jpg

I was searching for a thread and ran across this picture of GEC's black canvas micarta on a #14. This picture really shows the texture. I thought it may be helpful for some folks might not have seen such a closeup. The photo belongs to Pmew. Paul, I hope you don't mind me borrowing it for this discussion.

SNV30335_zpsa153afb1.jpg

Not a problem Trav, but I thought you knew me better than that... it's not a #14, it is of course a WLST from 2012 :D

Not a problem Trav, but I thought you knew me better than that... it's not a #14, it is of course a WLST from 2012 :D
Whoops. You're right. I should have known. :D

It is a great picture for showing the detail within the Micarta.

I'm definitely a texture fan. Primarily a fan of canvas micarta.

I've used paper micarta in the past, to rescale SAKs. It wasn't nearly as durable as I'd hoped it would be, and it showed no texture whatsoever.

micsak1.jpg

Buzz, you are right about that. Also, it is hard to tell the difference between plastic and paper micarta.

Yeah, the only paper micarta handles I have are really hard to make out that their not plastic! I definitely prefer some texture in there.

Loving all of the canvas micarta. The linen looks too smooth for a rough'n'tumble pattern like the barlow. Light or interesting (red, blue) colors interest me the most, although the black canvas up there ^^^^^^^^ looks stunning.

For those who prefer the canvas micarta, which do you find more appealing,...the standard cut or the crosscut?

I've always been partial to the standard micarta cut, but I LOVE the crosscut micarta on my Lone Wolf Loveless hunter. On the right knife the crosscut can be quite stunning. I'm not sure that the Barlow is the right knife for it though.

Agreed. Honestly, it would be nice to have the color chosen and then be able to see it cut both ways. I doubt that'll be possible, though.
Thanks, Neal

Was there a post listing the cover options for this run? I do remember seeing people discussing only micarta this time around, but may have missed the official list if there was one.
Anyway, I'll just wait for Charlie's poll post before commenting any further. My bad.

I had a talk with Bill yesterday about our forum knife's handles.
He answered my questions about the differences between canvas and linen, and other micartas.
I asked again what the least expensive (but attractive) handle material would be, and he reminded me that canvas micarta, hands down. It works perfectly with a "brushed" finish, which would extend over the whole knife. It is available in natural (tan) and OD (olive drab).
Next in line would be Linen, which would have more shine, and finer visual texture, and comes in Red, OD, and Black. Any other options start raising the price, which kinda goes against the various mission statements the we have brought forward.
I will re-state the general idea here:
We should make a knife that is traditional, usable, beautiful and affordable. It should be affordable enough that anyone here on BF can at least be tempted, and still have enough money left over for dinner!:rolleyes: It should be beautiful enough to show off with pride, eminently usable (proven), and traditional, (micarta being around for a long time now!:p)
It would be costly and painful to try and order a special micarta, and the quality/durability would not be as good!
It looks to me like we should use the 5 choices above for our poll.
Your turn, my friends!

Got it, thanks Ram!
I just reread from that post and see now my error. After Charlie's post, suggestions came up about bone linen & canvas, black canvas and burlap which, I guess, confused me on if the original 5 options Charlie had laid out were in fact the only options being considered. (Consider me corrected)

Someone posted a very good picture of all 5 tentative micarta choices photoshopped onto TC Sheepfoot barlows. The pic showed good texture, but that post seems to be lost.
Can anyone help out here??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back