Wooden Wednesday - Traditionals only please

One old...

fgsjEIq.jpg

...and one new.

MSqvb47.jpg

The highlight of my vacation in Sarasota area this week, Evan invited me to the Esnyx workshop. Im honored to be the new owner and carry his #44 cocobolo teardrop.
BXxynbVl.jpg

HBmJQ70l.jpg

lSVYrOFl.jpg

RBAdv74l.jpg

z0wuw01l.jpg
Fantastic. Congrats and what great fun to visit a maker like Evan.

I think it's a well-made knife with good materials. 440C stainless. It is smallish - at about 3-3/8" closed...and thin. It's a little bigger than a GEC 14. Bolster seems a bit long, but I'm getting used to it. :cool:
Mh9NtwX.jpg
I was indeed thinking of it instead of a #14. Thank you for a very valuable comparison!

Yes, it is.
Boker calls it "grenadill". Same wood that GEC calls "African Blackwood".
I looked it up when I bought my Boker Peanut in this wood.
How is it different to ebony or is that another name for the same thing? I'm getting confused as to some similar 'looks' of wood. :)

How is it different to ebony or is that another name for the same thing? I'm getting confused as to some similar 'looks' of wood. :)

African Blackwood is the original wood called “Ebony.”. The ancient Egyptians called it “Hbny” which is the origin of the word. In usage and appearance both woods are similar. African Blackwood tends to be denser and thus harder than Gabon (or Gaboon) Ebony but both characteristics can vary somewhat from sample to sample.

Relatively recent research, including DNA testing, places African Blackwood in the scientific Genus Dalbergia, which also includes Brazilian Rosewood, Cocobolo, (East) Indian Rosewood, and Kingwood, among others. Woods considered to be “true” Ebonies in modern times are in the Genus Diospyros which includes the previously-mentioned Gabon Ebony, Macassar Ebony, and the North American domestic hardwood: Persimmon (White Ebony).

African Blackwood is the original wood called “Ebony.”. The ancient Egyptians called it “Hbny” which is the origin of the word. In usage and appearance both woods are similar. African Blackwood tends to be denser and thus harder than Gabon (or Gaboon) Ebony but both characteristics can vary somewhat from sample to sample.

Relatively recent research, including DNA testing, places African Blackwood in the scientific Genus Dalbergia, which also includes Brazilian Rosewood, Cocobolo, (East) Indian Rosewood, and Kingwood, among others. Woods considered to be “true” Ebonies in modern times are in the Genus Diospyros which includes the previously-mentioned Gabon Ebony, Macassar Ebony, and the North American domestic hardwood: Persimmon (White Ebony).
Thank you for the in depth reply!

Back