Your own personal modded 14 giveaway..who wants in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that one of those ideas posted by Maurice are probably best. Pretty sharp dude.

Everybody loves this, but what am I missing here? When the thing is closed, wouldn't that pointy tang/backbone/thingee be in my pocket, pointed right at something very valuable? :eek:

I only roughly gummed the lower part of the handle away. It's just a rough sketch, I never claimed to be a paint -or heavens sake a photoshop- master. Ofcourse, a rounded area would be better, unless that could be made into a bottle opener of somekind.

Tossed my hat into the ring on page 4. Didn't realize how truly terrible I am at drawing until I saw down and produced that monstrosity haha.

Wow, maybe I'm missing something here, but really a peasant knife??? :barf: I gotta say I feel a little like I just stepped into some sort of Twilight Zone "Emperor's New Clothes" thread. I get that it would make the 14 legal to carry in places that ban fixed blades, but other than that, I'm not seeing the appeal, at least not to the point of turning a $40 knife into a $20 knife. Maybe if it had a minimalistic handle, but really have you ever carried a Svord Peasant Knife in your pocket? A certain Mae West quote comes to mind.

Erik

It is hard to make changes to something that is almost perfect as is... I can think of small things to do to it that are just personal preference. I am just having a hard time imagining a re-purposing of this knife into something different... that being said, I have made probably 30 sketches so far... they are all in the trash, lol. Still hoping to come up with something though..

Wow, maybe I'm missing something here, but really a peasant knife??? :barf: I gotta say I feel a little like I just stepped into some sort of Twilight Zone "Emperor's New Clothes" thread. I get that it would make the 14 legal to carry in places that ban fixed blades, but other than that, I'm not seeing the appeal, at least not to the point of turning a $40 knife into a $20 knife. Maybe if it had a minimalistic handle, but really have you ever carried a Svord Peasant Knife in your pocket? A certain Mae West quote comes to mind.

Erik
I agree, plus if anything I think the design will actually take away some of its function and reliability! This is just my opinion.

Hey FreebornErik. You are missing something. Let me point out to you what it is. This contest is for fun. Not to come on here and give your disapproval of someone elses idea. Nobody gave you shit about your idea, so this is great opprotunity to keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. I'm trying to do something nice here. No drama. No debate. Why do you care about what happens to a $40. dollar knife when I am donating it. I'm trying to get poeple to use there imaginations here and happen to think Galeocerosharks
Idea is pretty creative. If you guys can't play nice. Don't play!

Last edited:
I'm with the Belgian guy here. I think the idea is pretty damn awesome (hey, we've been talking about a Becker folder for much longer than I'm here) and I will, in fact, try to make my own!

I went back through my previous ideas and here a few... and please pardon my lack of knowledge on proper names of knife parts.

scan0001aa.jpg

Lengthen by an inch, finger grooving, take a little off the top of the blade to make it a bit pointier, jimping on top and for the index finger, micarta scales that still let the end circle show...

scan0003fx.jpg

Baby kukri, I think this would serve to lengthen the handle without lengthening the knife. heavy convex edge, fine jimping for index finger.

scan0004wy.jpg

This is basically a combination of the 14 and a spyderco native.. it would shorten the knife a bit, but would be an awesome EDC.. IMO at least :)
I don't know how to describe the grind on the tip of the blade it is almost like a diamond when you look at the tip edge on... little bit of medium thick jimping on the top edge.. I would love to have this blade.

Who ever you pick, this is an awesome contest.

Read my above statement Mr. Huntersharp

I was not saying it to be rude in any way shape or form! It was just my take on the design, it's funny how its all good when people compliment the design with their opinion on it but if the opinion is disagreed with its not okay! Do I really care about the particular design? No. Should anyone care about my opinion? No. But I am sorry if my opinion offended anyone.

Everybody loves this, but what am I missing here? When the thing is closed, wouldn't that pointy tang/backbone/thingee be in my pocket, pointed right at something very valuable? :eek:

I don't think peasants had pockets in the same sense as we think of pockets ;)

I'm not too regular of a poster on here. (I think this is only post #40), so don't feel bad if you don't include me.

I would be interested in a Becker. I almost bought a Becker BK9 at a gun show a while ago. I had to pass when I saw the price (the dealer had it marked up a ton over what the regular price is, which I knew from hanging out here).

I think adding an un-sharpened clip would look great.

I was not saying it to be rude in any way shape or form! It was just my take on the design, it's funny how its all good when people compliment the design with their opinion on it but if the opinion is disagreed with its not okay! Do I really care about the particular design? No. Should anyone care about my opinion? No. But I am sorry if my opinion offended anyone.

I had/have no problem with anything you said HS. I just didn't want you fueling anybodies fire. Its one thing to disagree. Its natural, and if we all had the same tastes, life would be boring. My point is, there is a repectfull way of doing it. We are all adults, (mostly id like to think) we should all be able to agree and disagree in a respectful manner. To give and receive critisim is great. We can all use it and learn from it. But in doing it. Learn how to instead of just coming on here and saying it sucks, when nobody has done that to you. I'm pretty easy going guy. Most of the poeple on this forum know me including Ethan. I think they will all tell you that not much bothers me. But if feel that someone is being unfair when I'm trying to do something fun that brings this great community together. I do not and will not have the first problem speaking up. There is no hard feelings. I just didn't want anybody coming on here and feeling like they where being singled out or didn't belong. That is not my intention. Hope we can overcome. And continue the close knit brotherhood that is this forum.

Hey FreebornErik. You are missing something. Let me point out to you what it is. This contest is for fun. Not to come on here and give your disapproval of someone elses idea. Nobody gave you shit about your idea, so this is great opprotunity to keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. I'm trying to do something nice here. No drama. No debate. Why do you care about what happens to a $40. dollar knife when I am donating it. I'm trying to get poeple to use there imaginations here and happen to think Galeocerosharks
Idea is pretty creative. If you guys can't play nice. Don't play!

Todd, Galeocerdoshark, and fellow forum members,

My apologies, I did not intend disrespect towards anyone, and I did stray from the intended course of the contest/thread. I did not mean to suggest that the peasant knife was not a creative idea or suggestion. Both the idea and the graphics are fine examples of truly creative thinking. I guess I just let my own personal bias against the peasant knife overcome my better judgement when I made the critical post. I'd stand by my post in an open discussion thread on converting a BK14 into a peasant knife, but I whole-heartedly agree that my comment was entirely out of place in a creative ideas based contest thread.

Again, to everyone my sincerest apologies,

Erik

My apologies, I did not intend disrespect towards anyone, and I did stray from the intended course of the contest/thread. I did not mean to suggest that the peasant knife was not a creative idea or suggestion. Both the idea and the graphics are fine examples of truly creative thinking. I guess I just let my own personal bias against the peasant knife overcome my better judgement when I made the critical post. I'd stand by my post in an open discussion thread on converting a BK14 into a peasant knife, but I whole-heartedly agree that my comment was entirely out of place in a creative ideas based contest thread.

Erik

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Erik

Well then. We can all move forward. I'm pleased. The fact is. When I first came to BF. Nobody gave a sh!t about me or what I was about, except for this Becker forum. They encouraged and embraced me not knowing anythig about me. I in time gained respect and developed respect for different points of view. When I met Ethan for the first time it all made sense. He and the Becker community have treated me like family and no matter where I end up in this knifemaking hobby it will never be forgotten. I don't want this place to lose that greatness that made me feel so welcome and has contributed greatly to the success that I am enjoying. See its o.k. to disagree. But at the same time encourage and support each other. That's what makes this place great. Futhermore. My appologies to you Freeborn. For airing all of this crap here, I look back and it seems pretty stupid to be arguing over a knife that doesn't even exist. No ill will or hard feelings I hope. My appologies as well to everybody else here. This wasn't my intent.

I had/have no problem with anything you said HS. I just didn't want you fueling anybodies fire. Its one thing to disagree. Its natural, and if we all had the same tastes, life would be boring. My point is, there is a repectfull way of doing it. We are all adults, (mostly id like to think) we should all be able to agree and disagree in a respectful manner. To give and receive critisim is great. We can all use it and learn from it. But in doing it. Learn how to instead of just coming on here and saying it sucks, when nobody has done that to you. I'm pretty easy going guy. Most of the poeple on this forum know me including Ethan. I think they will all tell you that not much bothers me. But if feel that someone is being unfair when I'm trying to do something fun that brings this great community together. I do not and will not have the first problem speaking up. There is no hard feelings. I just didn't want anybody coming on here and feeling like they where being singled out or didn't belong. That is not my intention. Hope we can overcome. And continue the close knit brotherhood that is this forum.
I totally understand where you are coming from and i consider everyone on here to be my friend. I would never have any hard feelings towards any of you no matter what you say to me or about me... Even though its probably true moste of the time :D

Make it a straight razor

Now, I just thought about something that I would really... I mean REALLY like.
I call it, the Becker Peasant Knife.
Basically, you take a 14, grind the lower part of the handle away, drill a pivot hole and add a Svord handle (or atleast, something similar in size and looks).

It would make a nice friction folder and would look somewhat like this:

2hx0irp.jpg

As awesome as I think this is already, I'd like to see it full high convex (and stripped ofcourse). The wood would be nicer in Cherry or Cocobolo. Brass pivots, too.
Edit: I'd grind away the finger guard too. Just held the Svord, and I guess a fingerguard would get in the way of the operating system, no need for that.

Whereas the blades of the Eskabar/BK11 and the Svord are quite similar, the stock of the Becker is much thicker, making it more sturdy. The handle of the Svord is way longer and allows for a 4 finger grip, even with gloves I think for people with larger hands. This could tackle the complaint I see sometimes that the BK14's handles are not large enough.

Hmmm... I think I'm gonna dream about this knife tonight:D

A folding straight razor with a handle like this.

Baby kukri, I think this would serve to lengthen the handle without lengthening the knife. heavy convex edge, fine jimping for index finger.

Oh, I'd chop the hell out of some rasberries with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back