Your own personal modded 14 giveaway..who wants in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thin the blade out and sharpen the back side too, make it into a spear point dagger and then make a butterfly knife out of it. Make sure the handles have two half moons at the ends so when it is open it has the circle at the end of the handle like the original. :)

I like the 14 as it is so I don't know of any drastic modifications I would actually want.

I'd just like one polished, convexed, with some nice filework on the spine, the corners rounded off at the index finger area, some full-length black micarta scales with about the same contour as the zytel scales, and a classy black leather sheath to be carried inside the pocket.

No crazy grinding or reshaping. Just my favorite knife design, which happens to be fairly inexpensive and utilitarian, upgraded by a very talented knifemaker to a fine gentleman's knife that I can proudly carry on those dress up occasions.

Thanks for the contest.

I'm not too regular of a poster on here. (I think this is only post #40), so don't feel bad if you don't include me.

I would be interested in a Becker. I almost bought a Becker BK9 at a gun show a while ago. I had to pass when I saw the price (the dealer had it marked up a ton over what the regular price is, which I knew from hanging out here).

I think adding an un-sharpened clip would look great.

In regards to your comment on markup; I have found this is an issue as well. Every dealer or distributor of Kabars in this area have them marked at the price, or higher than what is listed on the Ka-Bar website.

Buying it online is the only place where I have seen them drastically reduced in price. Buying online IMO is the only way to go......if you care to save money that is. Regardless what you pay though, you are geting an awesome knife and I've found that my 2 (paid $59.99 online) would still perform the same if I had bought it down the street for $112.00.

F the money....I want the blade now!!!! LOL

Last edited:
BK14 "Shark"

Last edited:
I like that choil/spear point mod. warrior. I may have somebody add a choil to one of my 14s sometime soon.

I like that choil/spear point mod. warrior. I may have somebody add a choil to one of my 14s sometime soon.

I totally agree.......That is a kickass mod, and not too...."whiz bang" if you ask me. I might get a 14 just to get these mods.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Besides the gills, it really wouldn't be that hard of a mod to do. This is almost exactly like a rendering I've never posted, that I wanted to do to my 14, just never did, but it was clipped too.

I'd just like to see a BK14 fitted with a Fisher Space Pen (not in the sheath). I don't know of a creative way to do this, and I don't see a good way it could fit, but the two most important things my EDC is a pen and a knife.

If you could find a way to include a couple of fish hook and some fishing line, I'd be in heaven.

Here is my idea

bk-14_mod_zps8ffd7db0.jpg

I like the idea of handles of oosik, or petrifed bone... but as a user, G-10, or some other non slip could be better. This is a skinning knife. Trailing point is the best skinner. Heavier handles make for better control of the tip... I have skinned many hogs and deer... the Wyoming knife works the best.. shy of that a small training point knife will skin just fine.

I like the jimping to be a secure finger point and not as an aesthetic feature. Flat grind only as a feature for easy sharpening.

Really, a non slip handle would be best. I labeled oosik because I have always wanted a knife with an oosik handle.. oosik is petrified walrus penis bone. very rare... it is considered as a status symbol in the eskimo world.. or so I have read. Small knives skin well. The BK14 modified thus would be highly specialized because of its size. The diagram above is quite accurate as a model. I digitized a picture in ACAD and then made the enhancements, and while not as accurate as I would ordinarily be in real life, it represents a scalable model.

Doc

I love it that ideas are still coming in....like the rules state. You guys have until the end of the month...or until people stop postin......keep em coming.

Here is my idea

bk-14_mod_zps8ffd7db0.jpg

I like the idea of handles of oosik, or petrifed bone... but as a user, G-10, or some other non slip could be better. This is a skinning knife. Trailing point is the best skinner. Heavier handles make for better control of the tip... I have skinned many hogs and deer... the Wyoming knife works the best.. shy of that a small training point knife will skin just fine.

I like the jimping to be a secure finger point and not as an aesthetic feature. Flat grind only as a feature for easy sharpening.

Really, a non slip handle would be best. I labeled oosik because I have always wanted a knife with an oosik handle.. oosik is petrified walrus penis bone. very rare... it is considered as a status symbol in the eskimo world.. or so I have read. Small knives skin well. The BK14 modified thus would be highly specialized because of its size. The diagram above is quite accurate as a model. I digitized a picture in ACAD and then made the enhancements, and while not as accurate as I would ordinarily be in real life, it represents a scalable model.

Doc

You have my vote Doc...Well done!

OK, Dubs - that gill mod is cool! So is the peasant knife mod -- I had considered suggesting a friction folder mod as well.
but...
the biggest problem I have with the esky is the short handle - I have long been a proponent of the esky-2, with an izzy 2 handle for added gripping comfort.
But today I humbly suggest a slightly different direction -- which has been suggested by several, but without the longer handle or a sketch to make it visual.
I call it the Eskantoku:
attachment.php

Do this to a BK14 blade shape ;)

TM you said you wanted some practice at making folders, right?

izula_folder.jpg

any way to make it a flipper? That would be badass....

Last edited:
Just building on my previous design.

Last edited:
I wish I could use photoshop like Dubz.

I have this idea to weld a huge ball bearing on the pommel area. Might serve as a skull crusher or as extra "umph" for chopping.

LOL

I wish I could use photoshop like Dubz.
GIMP. It's free. There are tons of tutorials. Some things are easy, some more difficult. For example, the choil was made with a large, round eraser. Lined it up, erased. Took about10-15 seconds to make the choil.

Keep it light and trim. I like simplicity, because performance of high quality speaks for itself. Come up with an attachment for MOLLE or PALS attachment that takes up minimal space on a chest rig so it could be kept behind a magazine pouch without it being highly visible. Sandblast it and give it an ugly brown color, coupled with a neat coyote brown paracord wrap job. Lightly cut a slot through the then blade than doesn't greatly weaken the blade, yet allows the sheath to be molded to the skeletonized slot for added retention. Jimp the area the thumb will rest upon as far as possible from the exposed portion of handle as far down the blade as practical. Simple doesn't mean it won't be neat. The idea is that it'll be ugly to a point it won't attract anyone's unwanted attention, but will still be attention grabbing when examined out of sheath in a relaxed setting.

Keep it light and trim. I like simplicity, because performance of high quality speaks for itself. Come up with an attachment for MOLLE or PALS attachment that takes up minimal space on a chest rig so it could be kept behind a magazine pouch without it being highly visible. Sandblast it and give it an ugly brown color, coupled with a neat coyote brown paracord wrap job. Lightly cut a slot through the then blade than doesn't greatly weaken the blade, yet allows the sheath to be molded to the skeletonized slot for added retention. Jimp the area the thumb will rest upon as far as possible from the exposed portion of handle as far down the blade as practical. Simple doesn't mean it won't be neat. The idea is that it'll be ugly to a point it won't attract anyone's unwanted attention, but will still be attention grabbing when examined out of sheath in a relaxed setting.

Got a sketch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back