1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

So I already have two Sebenzas. First one I bought in 2002 (BG 42 tool steel). Second was in 2022 (S45VN). I have been wanting to get a knife in Larrin Thomas' Magnacut, so on 4/5 I received a new Sebenza with that steel. This is going to be my one year challenge knife:

AMWts8CGQ2xU7JysVeX2YL36AGMAVrW9uLK0BtOc4gPB_RhxRr-Y74m1c5HLOvkqovznHBqec0OFccAqWBhcR8ADZ5dIn-DYGX_P8nRWtF6t96BCvWzZc6c_ejzCwZtGFa9vFVtW1_CllOnwO30vrFHbMdAz=w1411-h1063-s-no

EDIT: Fix broken image link

Last edited:
So I already have two Sebenzas. First one I bought in 2002 (BG 42 tool steel). Second was in 2022 (S45VN). I have been wanting to get a knife in Larrin Thomas' Magnacut, so on 4/5 I received a new Sebenza with that steel. This is going to be my one year challenge knife:

8IbS0EGEJYXpiVPakQd8yuVUa0BJvwWXaGNiPQyXoW6a02KdynUsh41e9r41RykkQVJHcYHcq2lHET2XznLh4lI9HlABPyCZWbe7_XALvQhk9_FwJ6fnDwg_bLUiSgW8OtqZGOd94aYwjloM3B50JhYrOLlaiTFov_M3L1uvlS9UI4LUWgrAV8VQ7Ba8YILrZwZ0CSv-EzUyvApdZbe94cEH5oN97DnJCf6LLAKr0qTrifpTkXILX-0r4GY15HrJqo1x8TkAGtTmjia6gveHWlxC3C0iMTA1llGSizXqXOMeHttUT5gMcP6XBfO_LF5DcepM4R6EEOYMQvshXemCJBJYhaXfwXWPoAR90K5qHX_ZW_DO3Ke9NxzYqdM8lfEZ1TyIEBsburwkrJqQHTaOVIqTWkrtEOCbN5_LrARakRkihu3MEEJ0DzO0aZb_46QA5QDBlHy9ZScps8EsqlSHUvVxa4ejsc1yzwy5KBZMyBrQQd9WTlb49nv2cLxK8tP0tA_vtXKkHe7VsspQQIg5t_sYt5b_PVeYqLk7eZ2Nh0ZMzjwhgvKk6j9wxMBrNObgHKysH848049twv6oqph_GTuJSbbvRMIG1wDmCmh9nCPQxAcoUWbOZSG6WjOkXOP7d7cO2LLWTDtFgb05soDprabfxK650xJPh3K3_vPGcoziYRSWZHcZu4AFUCPD52BvYA7SpeIAowORPdTC9bcKVSUcjmjO8jw35d3QSAM1ZLpeuM7uK3B88_R-LYU5x-QHUCTXQ0Z5NR2NLbADlPyBf4HAAvgVU2DPDOTf_pR-1w-wukuvCnGEv5b1K4kUoaWLj1OQnRRQm9opgafwruXLQxThXrq6SAQy0meZhro6a8T_1o77u3L03JvsOFKOh-ltQCOKiwhZrv6yjYmynBnnPyGeyBsUHIiN2yctsXD_=w1371-h1033-s-no
I was thinking about jumping in with the large Inkosi Insingo I pocketed 2 weeks ago tomorrow but I just know I’ll by one in magnacut when they come out and the S45VN will become my backup….

Ok so I read the rules and entire thread….

I am starting the 1YC with this knife: ____Large Inkosi Insingo________ starting now, ___ 04/15/23___, this is my ___ 1st ___try.
View attachment 2153116
I put this in my pocket 3 weeks ago today. Heres a pic of its first day on the job followed by todays “ start the clock” condition. Im not much of a knife collector and have gone several multi-year periods with the same /only knife so I don’t expect a tough go of it but and looking forward to in none the less…..
View attachment 2153119View attachment 2153120
Great knife and pics, good luck it's much harder than I thought it would be. Still in it tho. :)

Well I'm tapping out. Too many knifes just screaming for attention. Coupled with the Sebenza's boring reliability and Magnacut's lack of maintenance leaves me with very little fiddling to do. If I could only have one knife this would be towards the top of the running, but fortunately that's not the case and my other knives are going to get some love now. Made it 72 days. Best of luck to those still on the path.

67C1EBE8-23EC-463E-9822-F4861C6CCE47.jpeg

Events outside of knife collecting have kept me mostly away from here for close to 2 years now, nothing I've discussed over here. But I liked this thread from the start, not just for the content but for the open-minded way various situations were handled as they came up. In the last couple years my interest in collecting and knives as a hobby have changed drastically, as have my reasons for choosing what I carry. These days I carry what I refer to as the Sunset Sebenza, a large Morning Sun design that reminds me of the sunsets my husband and I loved to watch in our too short time together. CRK engraved his name on the lockside, and I carry it every day to honor him. Because of my reason for carrying this one, I figure there's a real good chance I'll complete the one year-one knife thing, and maybe for many years to come. So I'll throw it in here, although I can't promise regular pics or even updates.

I am starting the 1YC with this knife: The Sunset Sebenza, a large 21 UG Morning Sun with " ❤️ Ron G. ❤️" engraved on the lockside starting now, _ April 24_, this is my _ 2nd_ try.

1682411815166.png

Attachments

• 1682411602487.png
    1682411602487.png
    579 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I’m out. My inkosi turned out to be the first unreliable CRK I’ve ever owned. It’s had an issue with loose screws from the beginning and yesterday, even after degreasing and locktighting the screws I found the stop pin and body screws backing out. I cant re-tighten the stop pin as its now pinching the washer.
As I didn’t have time last night to tear down, degrease and try again I’ve tossed my beloved Mnandi in my pocket and will carry on!
By the way I contacted CRK and they told me I needed to use more locktight! And if that didn’t work I could use stronger locktight or send it in to be checked for spec…I’ll be honest I’m just not a fan of Tim Reeve Knives…

Last edited:
I’m out. My inkosi turned out to be the first unreliable CRK I’ve ever owned. It’s had an issue with loose screws from the beginning and yesterday, even after degreasing and locktighting the screws I found the stop pin and body screws backing out. I cant re-tighten the stop pin as its now pinching the washer.
As I didn’t have time last night to tear down, degrease and try again I’ve tossed my beloved Mnandi in my pocket and will carry on!
By the way I contacted CRK and they told me I needed to use more locktight! And if that didn’t work I could use stronger locktight or send it in to be checked for spec…I’ll be honest I’m just not a fan of Tim Reeve Knives…
Send it back to him and see if they fix it. From a customer service angle telling you to slobber on more locktite is poor service, but he did offer to take it back and fix it. Take him at his word and give him the opportunity to make it right.

3 months to go but I'm still loving this knife. I find that the more I use it the less concerned/worried I become thus it's utilization ( English is my second language, I don't know about that word...) ) has broadened significantly compared to, say, six months ago.

345711180_266096605819942_4090514089303968687_n (2).jpg

Last edited:
I started the 1YC with this knife: Wilson Combat Large Inkosi on July 30th 2021. It was my first try. It ended on July 14th 2023. 😆

Now for some context.

Due to various circumstances, I took a break from knife collecting as well as various forms of social media including this forum around the time I said I started the challenge. Hence the post to this thread just now. I also sold off most of my collection during this time. Like many others with a decent collection, I rarely carried any one knife for more than a short period of time (a week at most). Every knife had its pros and cons but when it came time to thin the heard, I wanted to keep one that was the most well rounded and one that I gravitated to the more. That is where I landed on keeping the Inkosi. It was not my most sentimental or rare knife in the collection but being honest with myself, it was the one that I could rely on the most.

I didn’t sell all of my collection but I did tuck the rest away in light storage. I expected it to be way harder to stick with just one knife but honestly, it wasn't that hard. For the past 2 years, I’ve used it for all the typical day to day cutting applications. As per the thread’s challenge rules, I did use other purpose built knives such as my larger kitchen knives. If I had any gripes about carrying just the Inksoi, there would only be one - the constant need to resharpen that S35VN blade.

I wasn't sure how long I would be out of the knife scene but at almost 2 years, I’m slowly getting back into it. The knife that ended the 1YC? The Sebenza 31 in Magnacut (pictured above). I previously had a fixed blade in Magnacut shortly before I left the scene in 2021. Around that time, Tim Reeve announced that they were testing Magnacut with the Sebenza and I really wanted one. However, since they weren't yet in production and I was on my way out, it never happened.

Over the past 6 months or so, I started to creep on one of my favorite sites, Recon1. More specifically, I was starting to watch the Chris Reeves come and go. Every time I saw a Magnacut show up just as quickly as it got sold, I kept telling myself that the Inkosi was all needed. Having collected some CRK inlays in the past, if I was to get one, it was going to be a plain. As I’m writing this and thinking back on it, I’ve just come to realize that I’ve never owned a plain… Huh.

Finally, after having an all around bad day, this plain Sebenza in Magnacut just happens to drop on Recon1’s site. Aside from the gold hardware versus the blue, it was the exact configuration I wanted - large, drop point, and double lugs. On any other day, I would have told myself the usual and closed the browser but after the day I was having, I decided that picking it up was was the pick me up I needed.
While I wouldn't say I’m back in the game, I am super excited to see what happens when Chris Reeve’s tried and true platform meets a 63-64 RC Magnacut steel.

The one year challenge would have been completed this month had the head of the pivot screw not snapped off two months ago. Although it was a relief of sort to carry something else I would have preferred to finish the challenge - obviously! I just recently got the replacement bits and started to use the knife again - I love it!
What I got from 10 months of carrying a Sebenza is a knife that I know (I never babysat it) and - for better or worse - an idea of where the bar is at for high end pocket cutlery. Hence I'd like to check out an Arno Bernards IMAMBA but first I got to catch some GECs on the drop.

371521467_977937473441678_4227032520540163818_n.jpg

The one year challenge would have been completed this month had the head of the pivot screw not snapped off two months ago. Although it was a relief of sort to carry something else I would have preferred to finish the challenge - obviously! I just recently got the replacement bits and started to use the knife again - I love it!
What I got from 10 months of carrying a Sebenza is a knife that I know (I never babysat it) and - for better or worse - an idea of where the bar is at for high end pocket cutlery. Hence I'd like to check out an Arno Bernards IMAMBA but first I got to catch some GECs on the drop.

View attachment 2298426

whoa, howd you manage that?

I made a post about it already but the knife has a slight side to side play hence I must have tightened the screw just a wee bit too hard - every time - to counter this. That must have weakened it until it couldn't take more.

I had a CF drop point S45 Large Seb31 and landed me an all Ti Large Seb31 Insingo. My curiosity got the better of me and so I slapped the CF scale on the Insingo…We have a Winner!!! Also, this new 63-64 Hrc Magnacut is crazy sharp and holds a good edge. I always change the edge as soon as I get mine to a “V” edge on my Wicked Edge Pro. Also changed the thumbstud. Weighs 3.7oz, perfect blade length to weight ratio 🤙🏼

IMG_5719.jpegIMG_5901.jpegIMG_5902.jpeg

I received this Small Sebenza 31 from the exchange on September 13th (two months ago today) in sharpened, but just about new condition. I have carried it daily since then.

Although I prefer the large, the small has been a little more practical for my daily needs. In two months of carry, I haven’t wished for a longer blade. This knife has been boring in the best way possible- everything I actually need and nothing I don’t. With that in mind, this is my first entry in the one-year challenge.

I’ve always admired the well worn examples of CRKs and am looking forward to seeing what this knife looks like next year.

IMG_3649.jpeg

Back