10-inch Fixed Blades: Why?

I’ll set the tone by saying that I unexpectedly find myself developing a desire for a big ol’ fixed blade.

Beyond just being cool for what it is, I’m struggling to find a purpose for one in my life.

So, beyond chopping stuff to shreds in the woods (which is pretty cool), help me find a purpose for a knife in the 10-inch range.

:) It's a hobby ! You shouldn't need more reason than your "desire " . :p

Main advantage of greater length is reach , tip speed and overall kinetic energy .

Main advantage of short is ease of carry and small work , tight spaces .

I've recently got an itch for a 12" blade , Cold Steel Magnum Tanto . :rolleyes:

Not even gonna try justifying that . It's mostly just for fun . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

like a few have said and repeated time and time again, a big knife can do the chores of a small knife, but a small knife can't do the chores of a big knife, so a big fixed blade can do anything from food prep, to bushcraft, to hunting, to fighting, farming, fishing, gardening, and so on and so on, only thing that may stop many folks from wearing one on their person is "civilization"

people of the city may say "oh he has a full sized knife on his belt, he must be violent, unhinged, aggressive etc"

i live in california so i get looks from all kinds of marshmallows when i tote the big steel

I’ll set the tone by saying that I unexpectedly find myself developing a desire for a big ol’ fixed blade.

Beyond just being cool for what it is, I’m struggling to find a purpose for one in my life.

So, beyond chopping stuff to shreds in the woods (which is pretty cool), help me find a purpose for a knife in the 10-inch range.

It's a good dad joke while listening to Aerosmith.

Axes are for chopping, knives are for cutting. 10" knives outside the kitchen are like a 50 year old guy in a Corvette.

Hmmm. Maybe that explains why I like Corvettes too. :(

But actually you kinda bring up the point of my question.
When I go into the woods, I usually go light.
Coolness aside, a folding backpacker’s saw is a lot more practical than an 18 oz knife. I don’t see my 50 year old Corvetteless legs carrying that big Busse into the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

<<<sigh>>>

Last edited:
Hmmm. Maybe that explains why I like Corvettes too. :(

But actually you kinda bring up the point of my question.
When I do go into the woods, I usually go light.
Coolness aside, a folding backpacker’s saw is a lot more practical than an 18 oz knife. I don’t see my 50 year old Corvetteless legs carrying that big Busse into the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

<<<sigh>>>

Why not?

One thing I like about big blades is they can take the place of lots of other tools. No need to bring and axe, a draw knife, a machete, a hammer, etc.

Big whompers do all of that and then some. One of mine has even functioned as a tent stake when I couldn’t find the last one.

Bottom line is if you don’t get out in the woods often you might not use it much. I do use mine around the yard, but that’s just for the hell of it. Out in the sticks is where they really shine because you can rely on one tool on your belt. In that respect they save weight.

Plus, they’re fun. That’s as good of a reason as any, and the main reason we’re all here. :)

I'm a big enough man that having a BK9 on my belt doesn't slow me down at all, and it would take a lot more miles than my kids can do before I would feel the weight. If I want to cut a walking stick I don't need to take my pack off and assemble a saw. If I want to clear a bit of foliage or poke something out of the way, it's right there, an easy draw. I'm usually in a place where firearms aren't permitted, and though that big blade draws eyes it also wards off jerks. I sometimes sub in a tomahawk for fun, but it's just not as versatile and I don't need anybody thinking I am there to chop at trees in a high use area.

Personal satisfaction and happiness?

People buy expensive toys all the time... just look at the gamers spending thousands on PC's, consoles and games or people with motorcycles or boats they dont really need.

Treat yourself with it. Once you get your hands on it ideas will start coming ;)

Back