1095 (produced by stock-removal by a company) is OVER-PRICED!!!!!

From what I understand about knife steels, the 10**s are the easiest to blank, grind, temper, etc...AND produce!

AM I CORRECT ON THIS???
I see so many knife companies, new and old, making it out like this 1095 is wonder steel!!! IT ISN'T!!! Is it an excellent steel? Hell yes! Is it worth paying $200 for from ANY company that does stock-removal, "special" heat treat or not????

Seriously. Somebody make me believe.:eek:

From what I understand about knife steels, the 10**s are the easiest to blank, grind, temper, etc...AND produce!

AM I CORRECT ON THIS???
I see so many knife companies, new and old, making it out like this 1095 is wonder steel!!! IT ISN'T!!! Is it an excellent steel? Hell yes! Is it worth paying $200 for from ANY company that does stock-removal, "special" heat treat or not????

Seriously. Somebody make me believe.:eek:

And who says it is a wonder steel? Care to back up any of your claims with evidence?

The elements that make up the human body are only worth about $4.50

Are people overpriced too? :D

1095 is perfect for what it was designed for, high carbon steel that will take a beating and keep an edge. There are other things that go into making a knife besides the type of steel used, including a lot of time and energy to create a usable blade. Also if you're looking at a company that has a lifetime warranty that up the cost a little bit also.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

The elements that make up the human body are only worth about $4.50

Are people overpriced too? :D

And the last I knew, there was less than 10 dollars worth of steel in a S&W revolver.

I have a wife and a daughter that are worth all the riches in the world to me and I know people that are not $4.50. What is your point?

Last edited:
And the last I knew, the was less than 10 dollars worth of steel in a S&W revolver.

I have a wife and a daughter that are worth all the riches in the world to me and I know people that are not $4.50. What is your point?

raw material cost doesn't directly correspond to finished product cost.

so don't use the cost of a pile of dirt to estimate the value of what was made from it. :D

There is more to a knife then just the steel and this is coming from one of the biggest steel nerds around. :D

If the size, weight, balance, grind, heat treat, ergos, style, and f&f of a particular knife suited my needs and taste, I'd have no problem paying $200+ for a knife in 1095. :thumbup:

I quite like 1095, not sure why you're agitated about it. I just ordered another 1095 knife yesterday, in fact (a Zoe Crist knife I thought looked pretty sweet).

Clever, Craytab.
Something enlightening, or even worth reading would have been much more interesting.

Last edited:
You have $200 to distribute to various qualities of the tool, and it's up to you how you choose to distribute those dollars. Companies are vying for those dollars and have all put out "bids" on what they think you and other consumers might like. You select the one that best meets your needs, but your needs are not the same as everyone else, and so the winning model for you may be a poor choice for some other fellow.

You have $200 to distribute to various qualities of the tool, and it's up to you how you choose to distribute those dollars. Companies are vying for those dollars and have all put out "bids" on what they think you and other consumers might like. You select the one that best meets your needs, but your needs are not the same as everyone else, and so the winning model for you may be a poor choice for some other fellow.

NAILED it! :D

Consumer manipulation is what you're talking about, right?

No best steel in the world, only the best steel for particular use.

Y? Will you buy a S110V survival knife? At least I wont, because I cant sharp it in the wild without equipment.

Or you want a ZDP-189 Machetes? No, it gonna be fractured or chipping very quick.

For 1095, yes, it is not even a good steel on the paper in 2017. But I will choose it as my survival knife steel.

As a survival knife, I am ery happy to pay 200 or even more to make me alive.

Back