2004 Midwes Khuk Khonvention sign up thread...

how about:

tarwar
siru 12-18inch
18"GS
hanshee
one of those sword-looking knives that I think Pen got--Patang? i dont remember.

Nasty's place sounds as good as any.

Keith

Hollow - Neighbors on sides are cool, will probably visit to see who the nutcases are, no neighbors behind.

Pen - Food costs shouldn't be too bad...I've experience with things like Chili, wings, various snack stuff. Best to keep the food simple, otherwise takes away from the important stuff! Should we do soft drinks only? Knives and alcohol can be a bad mix. Maybe bring your own beer only for consumption after dark? Tough to supply favorite drinks for everybody.

Warren - Maybe the KKs could be *etched* by the new owner with a simple MKK 2004 design? :) Maybe Keith could figure out how to have an appropriate number of templates or just do a workshop for us to have us do our own on site???

Do Pen knives come in wood?

I can do that. all we need are some simple home supplies like boxing tape and sharpie, perhaps an xacto knife, and FeCL of course.

Keith

Originally posted by Nasty
Knives and alcohol can be a bad mix.

Alcohol and me can be a bad mix. :D I'll probably drink water.

I'm doing a diet and that fine tasting Buzzweiser wobbly pop isn't on it. :(

I hope I get to go. I may have to take off work for "surgery" that day. :D

Keith...is there a simple way to make a "Master" template we could use to trace your design onto our boxing tape with? Perhaps a stiff cardboard? It'd be nice for us all to end up with pretty much the same basic etch...especially if the master was designed by someone with experience and an eye for esthetics!

In other words, I could do it, but it might look more like an attractive splotch! :rolleyes:

yes, a stencil-like template should allow the most average of artists to faithfully repro the design. I'll work out a simple template, maybe just MKK inside a shield in the shape of Ohio, or cross khuks and the MKK around that or something. I'll work up a design or three, and we can vote on it er sumthin.

This MKK logo etch, BTW, is an excellent idea! What a way to commemorate the event.

Whelp, looks like I got's homework again.

Keith

Originally posted by Nasty
Knives and alcohol can be a bad mix. Maybe bring your own beer only for consumption after dark?

Probably a wise idea. I'm a claims examiner and I can tell you power tools especially and also ATV's don't mix with alcohol.

I've never seen a pen knife in wood. Wish they made them. Hey, if we are going have all this machinery maybe we could do one in wood.;)

This MKK logo etch, BTW, is an excellent idea! What a way to commemorate the event.

:D I figured that by scaling it to the Kagas Katne size it would allow any of us to either apply it to one we already have, or at least allow the momento to be purchased at minimum cost. This way, everyone can have one, and one that would least likely be traded away or sold in hard times (it happens to everyone sooner or later).

The simpler the design the better...some of us (like ME :eek: ) probably have the dexterity of a sloth!

Ok, guys....15 Kagas Katnes are now on the list. :D

They will become KMKKKKs....:eek:

Kommemorative Midwest Khuk Khonvention Kagas Katnes....:rolleyes:

$15 ea.
Etching - FREE!

Can't beat that deal!

Re: food, drinks

BYOB - after dark only. No foam allowed to waft on/near my equipment, btw...:D

Ray - there's got to be a cost involved with the food - please let us know. We're not going to let you donate the house and the food. Wouldn't be right.

IIRC, Pen Knives have only ever come in horn. Now that I've said it, someone will prove me wrong. :footinmou

Keith - be sure to add the MKK etch to the list of events. Thanks!

Dan

Tell you what Dan...I'll put out a tips jar. Folks can toss in whatever they feel like, I'll take the cost of the food and beverages out of it. If it's not enough, I'll be happy to host, if it's more than needed, the remainder will go to Lama Jigme's bucket on the website. Fair enough?

I think the menu could include wings (a couple of sauces), sloppy joe's, chili, chips and dip, a fresh veggie tray and an assortment of sodas. Anything else I should add? :confused:

Joint cleanup of the yard right before dark? :D

BTW, I have a digital camera so be forewarned if you're shy! :cool:

I scoff at your DC, Nasty...:eek:

What we need is a video camera!! Anybody?!?

How 'bout we film the proceedings - including the workshops - and make it available for a few bucks? I bet there'd be more than a few takers...plus all of us guys that can't remember what we had for breakfast this morning will have something on video to look at later.

Whatya think?

It is pretty difficult to etch much of anything on a kagas katne. Maybe a row of quarter inch letters, but that is a tough one to get resolution on an etch like that (sorry, I'm just not an industrial etch and resist machine.) If you can cut the resist that small, have at it! (Still, I'll think on this one...anybody got a test kagas katne they can send for mask/etch prototyping? I gave mine away.

For more than a few letters to be legible, it would hafta be at least the size of a postage stamp. I was thinking it would be placed near the bolster, in that cho creep area...

Talk to me, lemme know yer thots-n-desires...

Keith

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
It is pretty difficult to etch much of anything on a kagas katne.

For more than a few letters to be legible, it would hafta be at least the size of a postage stamp. I was thinking it would be placed near the bolster, in that cho creep area...

Talk to me, lemme know yer thots-n-desires...

Keith

Keith not to put a damper on the etching but the KK is only about half the size of a postage stamp all along the blade.
The widths on mine are 9/16" at the cho and 11/16" at the belly and the belly is pretty straight.
Perhaps a Sunburst somewhere on the belly like you put on some of the Seaks IIRC and then perhaps Ohio 2004?
You could put the Sunburst in the center such as "Ohio :cool: 2004?"

What about just MKK 04?

I have an idea of how to do it, too.

Keith - ever used stickyback paper as an etch resist?

We could print out the lettering in a cool font on a printer, then I could cut it out (the font would have to allow for an easy cut) with an exacto knife (I do this all the time at work). I could make a half-dozen or so and we could use them - in conjunction with other resist materials, etc. - to get a good etch. Think it would work?

What if each of the khonvention attendees purchased a 12" AK prior to the event and had them etched there? That should be big enough to put a nice etch on and as we know, everyone needs a 12" AK! I for one really like the idea of having a special etched piece from the event, and the food and activities suggested so far sound great. Dan, I'm all for a video as well, perhaps several of us could rotate cameraman duties so you can participate more. I wish I could be of more help, but I can't really think of anything else we could do with only a day to fit it all in. It sounds like it should be quite a day.

RR - don't get me wrong, I ain't volunteering to be cameraman...;) Just think we ought to have one there.

suggestions so far for the BBB:

Pen Knife
Bilton
18" GRS
Villagers (any size)
18" WWII
25" Kobra
12" AK
18th Century (not sure about this - infrequent model)
Tarwar
Sirupatis 12-18 inches
18" GS
Hanshee

Plus a fancy M43 - wood or horn?

Dan Wrote:
ever used stickyback paper as an etch resist?
hey Dan, I've done glass etching before & we used clear contact paper...works great!

As for the piece to etch...I'll agree everyone needs a 12"AK,
but I'd say that they'd tend to be used quite a bit more than
say a Bilton.... :D :D

As for an etching design, howabout something like this:
warrenr-5.jpg
:D

Back