2013 Christma/Winter KITH Final Edit of Rules

It's traditional for the KITH to be delayed an extra week :) I know I'd love to be able to get the piece of rayskin that I really want to finish it rather than say "Good enough." Perhaps we could extend the knife completion to be the same as the sheath completion date?

I'm fine with finishing the details this week if people need the time. I put a small scratch in the big knife that I need to polish out too.

Here are my two entries. I will refine the brass guard as I'm not 100% happy with the shape. I'll do the random draw tomorrow and let people know where they will be shipping to.

11039424024_067d5c5a30_z.jpg

My knife is done other than putting on my mark and sharpening. It is still taped up until I get the wet forming on the sheath done, hopefully tomorrow.

Hope to get pics up of the finished project mid week.

Chris

Leifjl, quint,zaph, and my two make five complete. Edit: rwn2000 completed his as well. Looks like six completed at this point. Two others were nearly done so maybe they will be posted later today. The only person to post they couldn't complete in time was hengelo.

Roger that, mine is done, sheath is done, final pics of both will be posted later today.

OK, so everyone has a knife that is basically complete excepting a detail here or there. Off the top of my head, everyone wanted right handle sheaths, but I will confirm that today. I will do the random draw and let people know where they are shipping to. I have only been in one previous KITH, and we didn't let others know who was getting which knife, so it was a surprise. I liked that idea. Could everyone e-mail or PM me their final picture in addition to posting it here with the specs of the project please. I will do a summary thread with all of the completed knives and specs. From what we have seen so far, there is a lot of talent and creativity here. I pushed myself to up my game, and while I have a long way to go, I am happy with my knives. They could of course be better If I had more skills, but I realized yesterday that these are my one year anniversary knives. I have been making knives for one year now. :)

EDIT: I just went through the Pm's and e-mails. Everyone specified RH sheaths. If this is not correct, please let me know.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Gotta knock out the sheath for mine, wont take long. That will make it easy.

Dave is talking me into Kydex, so I'll go over there and make the sheath. I just ordered a piece stingray skin. If it shows up in time, I'll rewrap the handle. If not, it will ship as is.

Dave is talking me into Kydex, so I'll go over there and make the sheath. I just ordered a piece stingray skin. If it shows up in time, I'll rewrap the handle. If not, it will ship as is.

Zaph, I would recommend you wait for the ray skin either way. I agree with you that you would rather not be in a position to say "good enough." I am sure most would agree to finish it the way you want it to be, even if that means a slight delay in shipping.

Hate to do it, but I think I have to drop out. My knife is very nearly complete, but I had something come up and there's no way I'll have time to get in the shop this week... I have to travel an hour each way to and from my shop, so it really limits my time :(

I'd hate to submit a hurried effort with a janky sheath with so many good looking knives.

Weebus, it's your call. I hope it doesn't seem like any favoritism here. For Zaph, I think a material supply issue isn't worth being unhappy with the submission. We have seen the knife fully assembled.

Edit: I shouldn't speak for everyone. If anyone thinks it is unfair to allow Zaph the time to obtain the ray skin, PM me and I'll anonymously change me decision on this. I don't want it to seem like favoritism, but I assumed both Zaph and the receiver ( whomever it would be) of that knife would have preferred it as intended.

Last edited:
20131125_163641_zps1c435cf7.jpg

nesmuk forged from old leaf spring, 9 3/4" OAL, 5" tip to guard, 0.190" at spine, cocabolo handle, brass guard, pin, and thong tube. Leather sheath.

Nice Nesmuk. I like it.

As far as allowing a little time I dont mind personally. Things pop up, I would prefer to have more people in it then not even if it takes a few days.

Normally, a week wouldn't be an issue to get something from one state away. However, given the holiday week, I just have to hope that shipping isn't disrupted. If not, I've always got a backup. It's a 5" blade takedown from 5160 and Koa with titanium and brass guards, titanium endcap. Although, it's been etched to show a simple hamon instead of the mirror finish in this pic. Not quite as nice as the tanto, but certainly something I be proud to enter if the tanto is not finished.
assembled.jpg

I'm awaiting one confirmation. I'll get shipping information out as soon as I get it.

I have the confirmations but I have a cold and am going to bed early. I'll send everyone's shipping info tomorrow.

This exchange pushed me to try several firsts. This is the first knife I did file work all the way down the spine and into the handle, it is the first knife I used a wooden bolster on and it is the first knife I made a horizontal carry, ambidextrous sheath. Though I kept having "challenges" on some aspects, I still feel this is the best knife I have completed to date.

The knife has a 4 1/2" blade, 8 3/4" overall, .125" at the spine, made from a colter blade(unknown steel type, reason for being in the free for all). "Twist" pattern file work along the spine, walnut and cherry handle with black paper mycarta spacers/liners and brass pins. One thing I would most definitely change if I had to do it over, would be to use mycarta about half as thick.

Here is my 25th knife and my entry....

0es6JsE.jpg

MRUO7H0.jpg

g3BrsYt.jpg

70pbGHb.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Salolan, nicely done!

Everyone should have their shipping info now. Please let me know if you don't. My sent items is showing blank in my profile for some reason, so I can't double check against my list on paper. Quint, I made a mistake on my original shipping PM, so please check for the update. If you have already shipped, I will fix it at my expense.

I would just like to thank Willie71 for heading this up so we could have an exchange this year. It seems we didn't have as many entries as they have in years past and some seemed displeased over how it was being done. No disrespect to anyone, but I also didn't see anyone else stepping up, volunteering to run the event.

Thank you Warren, your efforts are appreciated.
Chris

Yes, thanks Warren. I'll get mine shipped out on Monday. That will give me the weekend to re-wrap the handle with the stingray skin.

Here is my entry. 1084 with black paper micarta treated with tung oil. This is my second shot at the KITH knife, wasn't quite satisfied with how the original turned out

35fyuLd.jpg

Back