2013 Christma/Winter KITH Final Edit of Rules

Glad to see you're enjoying your new rockwell tester, Warren!

I've spent two years forging this blade to shape and it's exciting to be almost finished with it. It started as a billet ½" x 1" x 3½" long. It's the most forged to shape blade that I've done yet.

Two years? Your forge might not be hot enough :p

Two years? Your forge might not be hot enough :p

Hehehehehehehehe. Actually, that was the problem. After an hour of banging on it, it hadn't moved much so I only worked on it a little bit at hammer-ins in bigger forges. Once I came out with my new burners, I finished the rest in one morning in my little forge.

Finally got started on my KITH knife. Started as a piece of truck spring

20131027_181951_zps5cc31c4c.jpg

20131111_192720_zps2e413b08.jpg

Forged out a billet about 8x1 1/2×5/32, then shaped this on the grinder, going for a hidden tang Nesmuk.

thanks for looking, randy

Willie,
Please pencil me in for the free for all group. I should have it done in time.

Thanks,
Chris

Welcome aboard. Please Pm me with your info as requested in the first post.

A little teaser of things to come. I need to make myself a light box, among many other things.

10830783116_f479063553_z.jpg

10830896654_9bb997db9c_z.jpg

One side of the blade is kind of bland and empty. I'm really pleased with the other side. Hoping to get to the Leather Factory this weekend and pick up some ray skin. You can see some real weird hamon lines in the handle. I think it's from where the tongs gripped the blade when pulling out of the forge and quenching.

Second attempt at wrapping the Tsuka-Ito. I used a piece of rubberized liner material for the Same on this wrap, just to see how it will look. Trying to figure out how to finish it off without the Kashira and Fuchi. I think I can tuck the Same in and it will look OK without the Kashira, but the lack of Fuchi just makes one side of the blade side of the Tsuka-Ito look unfinished.
etchedwrapped.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking stuff all around guys. That second hamon should have some good activity from the looks of it. Really nice damascus zaph. I like the low layer stuff. I think sometimes though its alot easier to get a different look on the other side with the low layer stuff. Just the nature of the beast or something.

One side of the blade is kind of bland and empty. I'm really pleased with the other side. Hoping to get to the Leather Factory this weekend and pick up some ray skin. You can see some real weird hamon lines in the handle. I think it's from where the tongs gripped the blade when pulling out of the forge and quenching.

Second attempt at wrapping the Tsuka-Ito. I used a piece of rubberized liner material for the Same on this wrap, just to see how it will look. Trying to figure out how to finish it off without the Kashira and Fuchi. I think I can tuck the Same in and it will look OK without the Kashira, but the lack of Fuchi just makes one side of the blade side of the Tsuka-Ito look unfinished.
etchedwrapped.jpg

Wow, looks great! I love this style of wrapped handle. This is something I plan to learn in the future.

Good looking stuff all around guys. That second hamon should have some good activity from the looks of it. Really nice damascus zaph. I like the low layer stuff. I think sometimes though its alot easier to get a different look on the other side with the low layer stuff. Just the nature of the beast or something.

Interestingly, the second blade is 15N20 and there was no clay involved. Just a 1465 austentize and quench in fast oil. The top blade is 1095, and had clay. There is some great subtle activity in the 1095 blade that is washed out in the picture.

There was a note in my letterbox telling me I can pick up a parcel from the postoffice tomorrow.
Should be some hardened blades; two weeks to finish the KITH-knife.

Black Irish bog oak or a stacked leather handle, any preferences?

Wow, looks great! I love this style of wrapped handle. This is something I plan to learn in the future.

Thanks, I've wrapped it four times now, and I think it looks a little better each time. I recut the Same(liner) so it covers entirely under the Ito(wrap). I'm still trying to figure out some type of guard. I'm going to Howard Clark's tomorrow and hopefully can pick his brain for an idea about a guard.

Three hardened blades from the postoffice :D
Handsand first, then making a guard, buttplate and deciding wgat handle material to use ;)
Can be done in two weeks :)

Life is very hectic at the moment over here. But something good is also going on :)
I have coming tuesday off and reserved for working on this one.
I won't enter officially before I am certain that I will have it finished in time, but this is what I have going on for this years KITH:

kith+2013+wip.jpg

You like? :D

Last edited:
Got mine almost finished and did a quick fire prep to see how it did.

20131117_145026_zpsf02fdcd1.jpg

Still need to install the brass lanyard tube and finish sand the handle before making a sheath, but she is close.

randy

Got mine almost finished and did a quick fire prep to see how it did.

20131117_145026_zpsf02fdcd1.jpg

Still need to install the brass lanyard tube and finish sand the handle before making a sheath, but she is close.

randy

Very nice. I like the brass. I use it on a lot of knives.

That's a good looking knife Randy.

I just need to hand sand the bevel and clean up the file work a bit and it will be ready to put the handle on. I plan to use a walnut/cherry combination with black paper mycarta liner/spacer.
UlfyluM.jpg

RZrIVNR.jpg

Chris

Thanks, guys. Willie71, I figured a wood/brass combo on a Nessmuk was the only way to go. Plus, fitting a brass guard to my irregular forging was easier than stainless, lol.

randy

Willie, nice hamons on yours too.

Back