2014 Spyderco Catalog!!!

This pretty much says it all for me.....[video=youtube_share;yivhYo7_tUk]http://youtu.be/yivhYo7_tUk[/video]

But with a buffalo horn handle please....

Looks like my pocket book will get a much needed break from Spyderco in 2014. The only two that interest me are the Firefly and the Super Blue Stretch.

I like the Tatanka the most out of all the new models so far.

Always good to see a new lock system too.

On the fence about the Battelstation, busy, but I sorta dig it.

Definitely getting the Roc.

The new Firefly looks nice too. As does the G10 Worker.

Honestly I really don't understand the reason behind the Tatanka. It's like Spyderco wants to start competing with Cold Steel in the 'WAY TO BIG TO EDC' market. And I agree, the Battlestation doesn't do a thing for me either.

On the other hand, I've gotta have a Kiwi 4, a sprint Worker and a firefly. Sure wish that there had been a Sage 5 in the mix though...

Honestly I really don't understand the reason behind the Tatanka. It's like Spyderco wants to start competing with Cold Steel in the 'WAY TO BIG TO EDC' market. And I agree, the Battlestation doesn't do a thing for me either.

Spyderco seems not only to be expanding its overall markets but actively pursuing the "tactical" knives segment aggressively with its first such catalog: 2014 Spyderco OpFocus Catalog.

OpFocus, short for “Operational Focus” is a term that we coined to accurately describe a view of our products from the perspective of the duty-bound armed professional, first responder, martial artist, or defense-minded civilian.

I'm looking forward to the BattleStation and the Mike Draper folder. The Firefly almost does it for me with the CF bolsters and orange handle.... but I don't dig a short fatty folder like that. I would happily have custom scales made the exact same way but for a better knife shape. I'm not sure if I want to buy the Battlestation, but I can't wait to get one in hand at BladeHQ. The Mike Draper Folder does look pretty awesome; while I'm not infatuated with the spyderweb pattern, it will my budget friendly foray into a CRK Unique Graphic. Or at least I hope it turns out to be budget friendly....

I was hoping someone would mention Cold Steel. I was thinking it, but didn't want to say it out loud. FireFly and Kiwi4 for me, but that is it. Maybe that is a good thing this year.

For some reason I thought the Vallotton had been discontinued. This is really good news because now I can take my sweet time buying one.

I also noticed a lot of new designs are being produced in Japan. I'm not reading anything into it, just noticing.

I noticed as well, positive move in my opinion.

The Tatanka was a design that was prototyped years ago, probably going back a decade. It was a concept called the Bison if I am not mistaken. Five inch folder.

Spyderco has dealt directly with law enforcement groups and collaborated with SD experts for years, I doubt they are releasing these type of knives in response to any company. As a company they cover the entire spectrum of niches including defensive carry. Their OpFocus has been around also.

They do seem to be pursuing the tactical market, but they had an OpFocus catalog in 2013.

download here

Corrected. OpFocus Product Guides since 2013.

Of course, they've had such products in the past like Police, Rescue, etc. but seems like a more concerted effort now to go after those markets. I think this is all a good thing for Spyderco and users.

In the product descriptions (with associated imagery) I even see terms like: tactical, martial arts tactics, high-performance folder optimized for law enforcement duty use and personal-defense, hard-use, etc.

Would love to see a full on Assist folder like the C79BBK with rust-proof H-1 steel instead of VG10.

Last edited:
No military 2....... Dang

Guess I'll get a a new manix

The Tatanka was a design that was prototyped years ago, probably going back a decade. It was a concept called the Bison if I am not mistaken. Five inch folder.

That video above shows that Tatanka is dpparently a Native American word for bison.

I really like the kiwi 4, but I got a little sticker shock at the $199 msrp and $112 dollar street price.

I really like the kiwi 4, but I got a little sticker shock at the $199 msrp and $112 dollar street price.

It's definitely going to be a LOT more expensive than the Kiwi 3. It's Seki made with VG-10, as compared to the Kiwi 3 that's made in China, and uses 8CR13MOV. Plus, it's a more full sized knife with half inch longer blade, and a lockback.

I see one that I like in there, the Tatanka. It's got a 5.06 long blade, right up my alley. Going to be watching for this one.

Back