2014 Spyderco Catalog!!!

Honestly I really don't understand the reason behind the Tatanka. It's like Spyderco wants to start competing with Cold Steel in the 'WAY TO BIG TO EDC' market. And I agree, the Battlestation doesn't do a thing for me either.

Since when has spyderco ever taken the route most would initially understand? Hold it, I bet it will draw different conclusions then a cold steel of which is a quality knife as well. Regardless, most dont understand knives at all, its 1 model, no need to question the kings :p

Since when has spyderco ever taken the route most would initially understand? Hold it, I bet it will draw different conclusions then a cold steel of which is a quality knife as well. Regardless, most dont understand knives at all, its 1 model, no need to question the kings :p

Well said. One reason I like Spyderco knives so much is because a lot of them take getting used to BEFORE I even buy one. For me at least, what is "obviously hot" usually isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE most Spydercos. That's why I have about 120 of them now. But some of the new ones just have me scratching my head. I thought that the Szabo was a monster with it's 4.6" blade. The Tatanka has a 5.06" blade. It seems to me at some point that it just makes more sense to go with a fixed blade. Part of that is because the handle has to be at least as long as the blade, which makes for a handle that gets ridiculously long, almost two handed. Look at the Cold Steel Raja II or an Expada Large. They may have great shock value, but really aren't that practical as one hand folders. The Tatanka has a 6.5" handle, which puts it right in the same class.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE most Spydercos. That's why I have about 120 of them now. But some of the new ones just have me scratching my head. I thought that the Szabo was a monster with it's 4.6" blade. The Tatanka has a 5.06" blade. It seems to me at some point that it just makes more sense to go with a fixed blade. Part of that is because the handle has to be at least as long as the blade, which makes for a handle that gets ridiculously long, almost two handed. Look at the Cold Steel Raja II or an Expada Large. They may have great shock value, but really aren't that practical as one hand folders. The Tatanka has a 6.5" handle, which puts it right in the same class.
If everything was easily understood life would be boring. And ya gotta keep in mind, people like Shaq also need an edc thats proportional :D

I own the rajah 2 and the even bigger XL espada. They are ridicolous. However, they are cool unless you take life too seriously that is. I mean come one, whats not too like? Its a massive hunk of folding sharp steel. Yeah not very practical I agree, but who cares. Im more purpose driven when I buy my knives no doubt, but If I said that XL espada doesnt instill confidence in mine, and fear into the hearts of my enemies, then I would be lying. If I for somereason get ganged up on and forgot my glock but remebered to keep the espada in the car, oh man Im ready :D Now im no mall ninja or looking for trouble, but it certainly has its place in the weapon dept. In spydercos case, Im very pleased to see them produce a similar knife as I know for a fact its gonna cut better and just feel more refined then most other massive folders. Not only that but its always refreshing to see them do something different as there is never a shortage of options, esp highly functional ones in the spyderworld.

I like big knives, and prefer a knife with a 5 inch blade. The reason I carry a Military most often is I work on an AFB. Do not want to push my luck with a big knife. A lot of guys, and even some woman on base carry 3.5 to 4 inch knives. Our tool boxes have a 3.5 in them. But not real sure I would want a 5 inch knife when pulled over for a random stop, as they are want to do. Actually, I am told they only inspect the vehicle, they do not search you. Been there four years and not experienced one yet. But others have and said they do not search you personally. Guess I could get away with it if that is in fact, true.

Takanka will definitely make it to my collection.
The second one that will get is Tusk, I love Manix 2 so the DLC version will also be added to the stable of spiders.
Finally I also like the Draper blade shape, not so much the scales graphics

Do I need the Tatanka? Nope.. But I want the Tatanka, ROC and the Battlestation. And probably a few more before its over with.

Practical? Sure when the zombie apocalypse comes or I am charged by pack of grizzly bears. You never know, I was a Boy Scout and Was taught to be prepared. :)

Fun? You bet and a great conversation piece with fellow knife nutz.

That's the great thing about "The Land of Free. Home of the Brave". We have choices. 200mph sport cars, .50 BMG and deep-fried Twinkies.
The Tatanka will be a nice addition to my Szabo on order , my currently biggest folder is the Manix 2XL.
I'm sure Spyderco knows these bigger folders won't be there biggest sellers.
But it's nice to change things up from the paramilitary 2, which own and is a perfect EDC in my opinion.
Not everyone wants to stay with the 3 inch EDC folder. Wouldn't that be boring world to live in?

The great thing is when you push the envelope of design and manufacturing and see what can be done, instead of what should be done, great things happen.
So I say design away Spyderco......design away!!!!

I can't believe more people aren't excited about the clipitools!

A plain and serrated edge while maintaining ergonomics (no huge protrusion from a second full size blade), and likely a great price point?! Sign me up!

A plain and serrated edge while maintaining ergonomics (no huge protrusion from a second full size blade), and likely a great price point?! Sign me up!

It's a cool idea, but I kind of wish they did them in FRN to save weight since they seem to be the size that would make the most sense on a keychain or necklace. Also wish the blade locked! Ultimately though, my plan is to have a leatherman style PS and a Manbug ZDP on my keychain which will hit all the bases for me.

Sooooooooooo, we now have the catalog, most of us have perused the pages, with one hand on your domestic partner's credit card, and the other feverishly thumbing the pages, with a lust in your eyes, and a mind working overtime trying to figure out how you can justify yet another Spyderco, or what do you have to sell to be able to buy that one illusive Spydie....it begs the question, when are the new and sprint models going to become available?

I definitely have my eye on one. Could it possibly kick the SAK Cadet out of my pocket? We'll see...

Sooooooooooo, we now have the catalog, most of us have perused the pages, with one hand on your domestic partner's credit card, and the other feverishly thumbing the pages, with a lust in your eyes, and a mind working overtime trying to figure out how you can justify yet another Spyderco, or what do you have to sell to be able to buy that one illusive Spydie....it begs the question, when are the new and sprint models going to become available?

Also interested in ETA. Anyone recall when the 2013's started showing up earlier this year?

Back