2018 BF Knife Poll 5.301 - Materials Battle Royale

Which handle material for the 2018 BF Knife?

• Ironwood

Votes: 137 38.8%
  • Elk

Votes: 179 50.7%
  • Burlap Micarta

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buck could do half 'smooth' half 'gnarled' you get what type you want by fast ordering or buying multiples.
I believe Stephen said that for Buck to do half 'n half he would have to order 500 of each half, when someone asked about that possibility.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember if that was in this poll, or the handle material semi-finals poll. :(

I know it probably wont happen, but I think it would be great to have an arrowhead shield in honor of Derrick Bohn's passing this year.

Tongue in Cheek: If you're going to go down that road, then let's have Bob Andrews name etched on the blade.

Either find a way to honor all that have passed - Derrick, Big Biscuit, Bob, or none at all.

It
I guess that is Elk for the win?

I just want to say, "Thank you very much!" to skblades skblades . I have had a blast participating in, and following, these polls. It was like going to the ponies (if the ponies took a week to finish a race)!
It was a 3 horse race. Not bad for a trifecta.
Except one had wooden legs,one had an artificial heart...and one was an Elk.

So can we wrap it all up with one more week of polls? I think what was left was pins/no pins, shield / no shield, maybe something about the stamp... and possibly voting on smooth / bumpy / polished handles (assuming elk wins at this point). Or do we have to know the handle finish before finalizing the rest (I don't...)?

Weren't grooved bolsters also being considered at one point??

If there is a poll for smooth/polished vs popcorn Elk, I think I'll vote "Yes" if that is an option.
Either one is fine with me. :)

Elk covers, third blade deleted, double long pulls...sounds like heaven to a lot of folks on the forum but I'm left feeling cold. one. I guess my tastes lean towards the more mundane.

I was originally thrilled at the prospect of buying a stockman in 154 steel but this knife has wandered so far from the large stockman knife I was so excited about. I'm really going to think hard about this one.

The only things I voted for on this one is the Elk covers and that it is a Buck (I own plenty of Bucks and GECs, just wanted to change it up for the BF knife). I would have preferred the smaller option, different secondary blade, etc..... But I am stoked for this one!

So, what is next? When can I order? Can I order two, one to use and one for the safe?

Last edited:
Lined bolsters? Check.
Polished Elk? Check.
Arrowhead shield? Negative.

This is the first time Buck has offered to produce a forum knife. Don't you think that if we have a shield, it should be unique to the maker?

I don't know. I see your point, in my opinion (right or wrong) I don't see shields as proprietary. I consider them more of an embellishment. Take bolsters for example, lined, fluted, pinched. Knife styles for example, congress, hunter, etc... The arrowhead shield has been used by different companies. Same as the oval shield that I see on Buck's knives. I would venture a guess the oval predates Buck. Most of the shields out there are used on different companies knives.. as a design feature. I see your point in that Buck shields seem to be unique to their knives. Seems like a fair amount of Buck's shields have their name inside the shield. I'm not a fan of that - just my personal choice. I think it draws too much attention away from the covers. Anyway, I just like the thought of using an arrowhead on this style of knife. I thought it would look good. I'm sure we will probably end up with an anvil. Which is fine, but when we get to design the knife as a group I figured why not throw it out there to consider. I don't really hold out any hope it will happen. Sure would like something on the bolsters... just a line or two would be great.

Buck has a lot of shield choices.. here's one they made for the John Wayne group. Seems like Buck has a lot of shield options. Looking at the knives they made for other groups and companies. There's some interesting shields they have put out. Several of the group knives Buck produced use unique shields. I'm out on a signed shield lol. Just posting because it's interesting...

28109318_4_x.jpg

I don't know. I see your point, in my opinion (right or wrong) I don't see shields as proprietary. I consider them more of an embellishment. Take bolsters for example, lined, fluted, pinched. Knife styles for example, congress, hunter, etc... The arrowhead shield has been used by different companies. Same as the oval shield that I see on Buck's knives. I would venture a guess the oval predates Buck. Most of the shields out there are used on different companies knives.. as a design feature. I see your point in that Buck shields seem to be unique to their knives. Seems like a fair amount of Buck's shields have their name inside the shield. I'm not a fan of that - just my personal choice. I think it draws too much attention away from the covers. Anyway, I just like the thought of using an arrowhead on this style of knife. I thought it would look good. I'm sure we will probably end up with an anvil. Which is fine, but when we get to design the knife as a group I figured why not throw it out there to consider. I don't really hold out any hope it will happen. Sure would like something on the bolsters... just a line or two would be great.
I agree with you. A line on the bolsters would be great.

As for the shield, I'm not really sure if I want one. If we have polished scales, then the answer is yes but, only if we use the anvil shield. Also, if I had my way, it would just be the anvil without the company name but, I doubt if that would really happen. Who knows, people might not even want a shield.

It should be fun watching how all of this ends.

Wouldn't the arrow head be trademarked to the Northwoods brand? Excuse me if this is a newb question.

Not unless its exactly the same one.
Pretty sure they didnt invent the arrowhead.
Bla bla I know.

Back