2018 BF Knife Poll 5.301 - Materials Battle Royale

Which handle material for the 2018 BF Knife?

• Ironwood

Votes: 137 38.8%
  • Elk

Votes: 179 50.7%
  • Burlap Micarta

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the line should be drawn with this poll.

By the time we poll down through all of the minutia, we might thin this down below the minimum SFO quantity. Bumpy, smooth polished, or something in the middle? Then we could do shade from light to dark.
I agree with this. Buck has said these will be A grade elk covers, let's let them do their thing...it's understood that there will be variability (which is why many people didn't vote for elk). There's always the option of trading with other buyers later if one doesn't like the knife received.
If ironwood had won, would we have done another pool to determine grain pattern?

I agree with this. Buck has said these will be A grade elk covers, let's let them do their thing...it's understood that there will be variability (which is why many people didn't vote for elk). There's always the option of trading with other buyers later if one doesn't like the knife received.
If ironwood had won, would we have done another pool to determine grain pattern?
I agree. The Elk will look fantastic.
Besides, the only cover choice without any variation would be the Burlap Micarta.

Ironwood has variations in the grain structure from one set of scales/covers to the other, or even from scale to scale if they are not a book end cut.

Well, sad news. Buck is too busy with all their months end work to get the sample of the Ironwood done. We won't see anything until the end of this week, beginning of next week. Hopefully we'll have the 2 elk sample types so we can poll, assuming Elk holds today.

Well, sad news. Buck is too busy with all their months end work to get the sample of the Ironwood done. We won't see anything until the end of this week, beginning of next week. Hopefully we'll have the 2 elk sample types so we can poll, assuming Elk holds today.

We don't need a sample with Ironwood now. It lost. I think all we need to see are the elk samples.

If there is a 40 vote surge for ironwood before 3pm I will change my vote back to ironwood for the win!

That's understandable, but a shame in terms of the poll I think. Perhaps an Ironwood sample would have changed things :thumbsup:

I think it may have actually been to the detriment of ironwood to have samples made up.

The arguments supporting ironwood all along have been based on it's consistently beautiful appearance. If this was the impotence for most ironwood voting, then there's not much benefit to be gained by the samples, as the expectations are already high.

The elk info on the other hand was to calm the fears of those voters whose only hesitation for elk was the possibility of what many classify as undesirable handles.

What two samples are you getting? Asking because I'm wondering if one or half of one of them is polished?

So can we wrap it all up with one more week of polls? I think what was left was pins/no pins, shield / no shield, maybe something about the stamp... and possibly voting on smooth / bumpy / polished handles (assuming elk wins at this point). Or do we have to know the handle finish before finalizing the rest (I don't...)?

I know it probably wont happen, but I think it would be great to have an arrowhead shield in honor of Derrick Bohn's passing this year.
You never know ... Stranger things have happened ...

Has Buck ever used an Arrowhead Shield before? (Serious question. I don't know, so I'm asking.)
If so, they could just dust off the dies and stamp out more of them.

I hope we don't have to have more polls on the type of Elk the knife will be? Otherwise we could start having polls about slab thickness, weight etc etc:D

Buck could do half 'smooth' half 'gnarled' you get what type you want by fast ordering or buying multiples.

I guess that is Elk for the win?

I just want to say, "Thank you very much!" to skblades skblades . I have had a blast participating in, and following, these polls. It was like going to the ponies (if the ponies took a week to finish a race)!

Back