2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

My micarta Dixie stockman arrived yesterday, and I’m pretty impressed. The small clip and wharncliffe measure between .020” and .025” behind the edge. The main clip is a wonderful .016” to .020” behind the edge. It cuts like a scalpel.

GEC did a great job of polishing the micarta. No spring gaps. Springs are flush with the blades both open and closed. I love the lack of half stops on his model. Somehow GEC put this knife together with absolutely zero blade rub between the three blades. No lateral play on any of the blades. All blades arrived sharp. Very impressive fit and finish, which is the hallmark of GEC.

This is a pretty sizable stockman, and very comfortable in the hand, but the 2-spring design really keeps the weight and bulk down. Turkish clips aren’t exactly my thing, but the low profile shape does work well with the streamlined approach to the Dixie. It’s a good choice on this model.

My only nitpick is with the pulls on the blades. I’m not a lover of nail-breaker pulls, but these pulls are a bit light for even me. My Case medium stockman actually has stiffer pulls than my Dixie, and Case isn’t exactly known for their strong pulls. The snap is good on the Dixie blades though, so it’s not really too bad. There’s easily enough force to close the blades without a problem. I’d prefer pulls of 4 and 5, but I can live with 3 and 4 initially. The snap will probably only get even better with time and use, so it’s okay I guess. Not great but good enough.

All in all, I’m very impressed. Nice size for hard use. Great blade selection. No broken nails. Indestructible covers. Superior cutting efficiency.

I’d really love to see a stainless punch stockman next time around!!!!

ACPjA6bh.jpg

8IxHxwWh.jpg

Excellent review, Buzz.

I am looking forward to trying this pattern out. If I can snag one of the Elderberry Stockmans, it might serve to cure my knife purchasing blues. I am a big fan of the bomb shield and the favorable words towards this pattern encourage me.

Got my two 82 Dixie stockman today in Micarta and Copperhead Jigged bone. As advertised the pulls are light, the micarta variant being the better of the two, all blades close by themselves, but the spey ( is that really a spey? ) on the copperhead has to be coaxed all the way open. I think that this will be helped with warm water and mineral oil bath. Fit and finish on both is very good, but on both you can just feel the center liner as you run you finger down the back springs as a little burr/ sharp edge, very minimal but there. The micarta has scuffed bolsters like another recent micarta/ matte bolster run that I got although I can't think of the model/run. Both are beautiful, I love the micarta having the the dark strip down the middle and the copperhead jigged bone has become one of my favorites, with one of my favorite shields. Overall very happy with these stockman, beautiful knives, good F&F and very good ergonomics. I can't wait for the possum skinners, hoping for a slight improvement in walk and talk and I am a huge fan of pen style knives.

I haven’t bought a GEC since the 78’s came out so I’m looking forward to getting one of the micarta variants. The “serpentine shield” is a little odd though.

Man this look nice!

I haven't kept up with GEC for several years... do they do this blade set--love the long wharncliffe and drop/clip instead of a spey-- on a smaller frame?

Just a little too big for me otherwise I'd be all over the natty micarta.

My micarta Dixie stockman arrived yesterday, and I’m pretty impressed. The small clip and wharncliffe measure between .020” and .025” behind the edge. The main clip is a wonderful .016” to .020” behind the edge. It cuts like a scalpel.

G
ACPjA6bh.jpg

8IxHxwWh.jpg

This right here is a very nice stockman pattern. I may screw up my courage and give one a try. Beautiful knife!
Ed J

I got a micarta version. While I usually like harder pulls, this one is pleasing. It's very smooth, has great snap but is effortless in opening(just the right smooth tension). I like it a lot!

Now, can they hurry up already with my matching possum skinner :D

I'm going to give one a try. It's a big knife but I like the 81 too.

I haven’t had an 81 or 82 in hand yet so I’m really looking forward to it. I had a 53 in stag at one point and thought it was huge. Then again, I didn’t carry many knives over 3-5/8”. The Dixie Stockmans look a lot more trim and slim over the 53’s to me. For the last couple of years I’ve mostly carried knives in the 3-7/8” -4-1/8” sizes so I’m guessing the 82 won’t be a shocker to me now.

Back