2018 Forum Knife. The first poll

Which maker?

• Buck 301. Choose. 2/3 blades, grind, steel: 420, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, S35VN, 20CV; handle mat'l,

Votes: 267 73.6%
  • GEC 14 in 1095. Choose: drawn/cut swedge, plain/lined bolster Single or Two Blade Jack

Votes: 96 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
OK folks, here we go. The first poll is to choose between a customized 301 from Buck and a unique model 14 from GEC. Some of the options are on the poll descriptions. A full set of options for each knife is listed below. This poll will run for 7 days. You get one vote; and you can change your mind up until the poll closes.

Once a knife is chosen, there will be a quick succession of polls to determine the options.
I have listed the options below that we will be voting on in later polls. So look and see what is on the table. Some things that were suggested or requested in the 2018 Forum knife discussion threads are not on the table.

Be advised that this year this will be a "pay when you order" deal. All money will be collected up front. A set number of knives will be ordered. Once the order window closes, that will be it. There will be no extras that can be purchased later. We'll discuss the ordering further when we get to the ordering part of the process.

We all should be saying a big "THANK YOU!" to Mike and Steve for putting in the work to give us these options. I know Gary and I are.

Got two final things to say and then I'll let 'er rip
  • If you have no interest in ordering a knife, please don't vote.
  • You can post about why you like the one you chose. You may not "throw dirt" on the one you did not vote for nor on the folks who voted for that knife. Negative posting will simply not be tolerated in this thread. Warnings with points will be given.

Buck details:
Knife from the Custom Shop built on a 301 frame.
Choice of 2 or 3 blades
Choice of blade steel (420, 440C, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, S35VN, 20CV)
Choice of full flat grind or Buck super hollow grind
Bolsters: brass or nickel silver
Choice of handle materials.
Scales with pins, or not.
Medallion shield or no shield
Two dot tang stamp or engraving
Custom box option. Option for fancy wood box or plain box
Pin is an option.

GEC details:
BladeForum tang stamped #141 (1095 clip main), Single or Two Blade Jack (2nd blade: pen)
Nickel Silver bolster,
Brass Liner
Choices on:
drawn/cut swedge,
plain/lined bolster
Handle Mat'ls (various, but must not be under Fish & Wildlife monitoring)
Shield (must be one of their existing shields, but we can choose which one)
Etch
Enclosed pin would be up for discussion.
Serialized would be up for discussion, but will be shipped randomly (can't order a specific serial number.)

I voted for Buck, though I creep more than I post, I have been up to date with the other thread, and truly I think the forum should go with Buck. If not to try something new, then to give an all American company a chance to please the crowd. GEC is great, but it doesn't hurt to change things up and "live a little".

chose the 301 because;
-it will be a unique knife
-and even more so if produced as a FFG two blade
-Blade Forum has not had a Buck as a forum knife
-Buck's custom shop makes an exceptional knife

Last edited:
I voted for the Buck, and I think there are a lot of arguments in favor of the Buck, but in all honesty, the biggest reason for me is that I would like another stainless forum knife. I won't go too much into why I prefer using stainless, except to say that one of my main uses for my traditional knives is cutting fruit for my kids, and I prefer to cut fruit with stainless*. So traditionals that I won't use for fruit don't get carried, and I like to carry my Bladeforums knives.

*Personally, I don't like patina, and fruit really makes a patina in a hurry, but it seems like most folks around here like patina, it is just personal preference. But the bigger deal for me is that I don't like the smell of carbon steel on fruit, but a lot of people don't even perceive that smell. So what it boils down to is that because I have one particular use for my traditionals, and some idiosyncratic preferences, I really strongly prefer stainless.

OK folks, here we go. The first poll is to choose between a customized 301 from Buck and a unique model 14 from GEC. Some of the options are on the poll descriptions. A full set of options for each knife is listed below. This poll will run for 7 days. You get one vote; and you can change your mind up until the poll closes.

Once a knife is chosen, there will be a quick succession of polls to determine the options.
I have listed the options below that we will be voting on in later polls. So look and see what is on the table. Some things that were suggested or requested in the 2018 Forum knife discussion threads are not on the table.

Be advised that this year this will be a "pay when you order" deal. All money will be collected up front. A set number of knives will be ordered. Once the order window closes, that will be it. There will be no extras that can be purchased later. We'll discuss the ordering further when we get to the ordering part of the process.

Got two final things to say and then I'll let 'er rip
  • If you have no interest in ordering a knife, please don't vote.
  • You can post about why you like the one you chose. You may not "throw dirt" on the one you did not vote for nor on the folks who voted for that knife. Negative posting will simply not be tolerated in this thread. Warnings with points will be given.

Buck details:
Knife from the Custom Shop built on a 301 frame.
Choice of 2 or 3 blades
Choice of blade steel (420, 440C, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, S35VN, 20CV)
Choice of full flat grind or Buck super hollow grind
Bolsters: brass or nickel silver
Choice of handle materials.
Scales with pins, or not.
Medallion shield or no shield
Two dot tang stamp or engraving
Custom box option. Option for fancy wood box or plain box
Pin is an option.

GEC details:
BladeForum tang stamped #141 (1095 clip main), Single or Two Blade Jack (2nd blade: pen)
Nickel Silver bolster,
Brass Liner
Choices on:
drawn/cut swedge,
plain/lined bolster
Handle Mat'ls (various, but must not be under Fish & Wildlife monitoring)
Shield (must be one of their existing shields, but we can choose which one)
Etch
Enclosed pin would be up for discussion.
Serialized would be up for discussion, but will be shipped randomly (can't order a specific serial number.)
Thanks to Frank and Gary for getting us back on track :cool::thumbsup:

I voted for Buck, but that is 100% contingent on it being the 2 blade version. If it has the spey blade as it is on the normal 301 I definitely won't get it as I believe, whether I'm right or wrong, that that frame is designed so that the spey blade tip sits proud of the frame.

I would like a GEC #14, I just know I'm probably going to be getting one anyway...

My vote Buck 301. Premium steel s35v or 20cv, silver booster, ironwood, 2 blades .... no Dymondwood.
I like GEC, have many. Also like Buck. I still have the 110 I bought in the late seventies when I was in high school. I also have several that were my late father in law’s, including a black handled 301.
As others noted would special to do the Buck.

I won't vote as I don't have an intention to buy at this point. The 301 is too big for me, and I already have 2 GEC 14s. A Clip + Punch or Clip + Cap Lifter 14 might sway me, though.

I like the format of this polling process.
I voted for the G.E.C. 14. I bought 3 with different scales when they first
came out and gave one to my friend. He has quite a few nice knives, but this
is what He carries every single day. I think it is a neat well made slip joint.

Last edited:
Back