• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d cry tears of joy if this was an option:
RM4hWDk.jpg

Stolen pic:
ASV7Bc9.jpg

That would get my vote hands down and GEC just used it 3 1/2 months ago.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Snakewood is fantastic--I have a couple #68 and #47...that said ...on small runs yes! on a big run such as this no.. because it isnt all going to be equally beautiful with its variety of depth and colour in the grain...some will be dark and dull...brown with slightly darker brown stains...I don't want that. Snakewood will only do if each piece is selected for its vividness..but I doubt that will happen.
I'd really like for these knives to have a "standard issue" look ...more uniformity equals more happiness across the board. I d actually take Ebony over Snakewood for that reason.

I'm hoping one of these three African Blackwood, Gabon Ebony, or Macasscar (spelling) make the cut, with Snakewood, and Oil Sucker Rod wood. If the burl Mike used on the 85's is available that would be awesome and likely the winner!

Here's a few for now...

Cocobolo Wood
View attachment 1087073
Ebony Wood
View attachment 1087074
Ironwood
View attachment 1087075
Jobillo Wood
View attachment 1087079
Oil Sucker Rod Wood
View attachment 1087077
Snakewood
View attachment 1087078

Excellent work, Darren. I've been appreciating your mock-ups very much. The visualization is immensely helpful.

That said... No Shields?!

I'll take one of each but I'll need shields;)

Yes, what he said! ^^^

Wow. That was absurdly close. But my luck is holding out. All polls have gone my way so far.

I am not ashamed to say that all of them have gone my way as well.

"No Shield" won last year.

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that the shield options were going to be limited at Buck. None of them were appealing.

That will not be the case with GEC unless, of course, you are simply anti-shield. Which is fine.

And in regards to your other comment: Ebony is no Buffalo chip, I'll give you that, but come on.... Comparing Ebony to a PT 2x4? :rolleyes:

I’d cry tears of joy if this was an option:
RM4hWDk.jpg

Stolen pic:
ASV7Bc9.jpg

That Tiger Maple Burl sure is something else. I wouldn't say no to that.

Congratulations wood voters! I wanted something jigged but woods are still good!

Has GEC ever done aboyna burl?

I don't think so but I do happen to have a knife in Amboyna Burl. Old pic, I will have to see if I can get a better one.

YOTmFwS.jpg

The scale tally and other statistics about the forum knives over the last 13 years.

Covers
  • (4) Stag
  • (3) Jigged Bone
  • (2) Wood
  • (2) Micarta
  • (1) Wolly Mammoth
  • (1) Elk Antler

# of Blades

• (9) 2 blades
  • (2) 1 blade
  • (2) 3 blades

Type of blade

• (7) clip blades
  • (7) sheepfoot blades
  • (7) spear blades
  • (1) wharncliffe blade
  • (1) awl/punch blade
  • (1) cap lifter/screwdriver blade
  • (1) spey blade
  • (1) nail file/cleaner blade

Shields

• (3) bar
  • (2) coin/round
  • (2) stamped bolster
  • (2) federal
  • (1) gimp/propeller/bow tie
  • (1) arrowhead
  • (1) bomb
  • (1) no shield
Steels

• (9) high carbon steels
  • (4) stain resistant steels
To the best of my knowledge all these statistics are correct but by no means written in stone. I make mistakes like anyone else so if you see one I’ve made please let me know and I’ll edit the reply.

I did this in hopes it helps everyone decide what they want and I gotta admit I was a little bored. ;)

Last edited:
Excellent work, Darren. I've been appreciating your mock-ups very much. The visualization is immensely helpful.

That said... No Shields?!
My pleasure! I was hoping to find out what the wood options are before putting out a bunch of different mock ups with various pins and shields.

I believe the correct terminologies are sheepfoot (all one word, no s) and lamb foot (two words, no s). All the old catalogs I've seen agree on sheepfoot, but the lamb foot is less certain to me. Can anyone post a picture of a knife with something other than lamb foot (whether capitalized or not) stamped on the blade, or listed in a company catalog?

Last edited:
Maple, oak, hickory, ashe, birch, knotty pine. All sustainable, beautiful woods IMO.

It's coming down to the wire...
I've been tempted by some of the persuasive arguments from the jigged bone camp. I'm not switching from smooth wood yet, but I am considering it. My fear is that if bone wins we will get a huge vote for saw cut and that's NOT what I would like. But if we could get GEC to do a really nice looking jigging and color, then that would really make the knife something special. But jigged bone is the "gamble" vote... Too many opportunities for a bad jigging choice and an unattractive color. I have a few hours to decide.

Have to agree with this John, would not switch to jigged bone because of the risk getting saw cut which is not appropriate for this knife.

I hadn't considered this... Hmm maybe I should switch ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back