Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching votes for acrylic make me feel I'm on a roller coaster. :rolleyes::p
I stuck with acrylic as long as I could, then changed my vote to smooth wood before I left the ol house yesterday.

I didn't figure one little old vote would make a ton of difference...

A "sheep" shield would be fantastic! Of course, if we went with the hotdog, we could all get our usernames engraved on it!

I stuck with acrylic as long as I could, then changed my vote to smooth wood before I left the ol house yesterday.

I didn't figure one little old vote would make a ton of difference...

A "sheep" shield would be fantastic! Of course, if we went with the hotdog, we could all get our usernames engraved on it!
I certainly did not want to point the finger to anybody :( Just wanted to note that it went as high as ten, then as low as 7, a while was 9, then 8, then 9 again, then... :eek: just for fun :D:D

Well if we are now stuck with wood, I hope bog oak is an option. It's dark but has variations that give it character, and you don't have to worry about if you will get pure black or not, as would be the case with ebony.

As for custom shields, an anchor would be in keeping with the nautical theme . .

I could get on the bog oak (aka morta) bandwagon, among others. It's popular in the tobacco pipe world. Prices and availability could be limiting though.

I only changed my vote one time, so I have a clear conscience. :) I would have loved an acrylic handle.

It was a tough call between wood and bone, both sides made very good cases for both options. I think we are going to get a very cool knife this year. Thanks to all who are making it possible! :thumbsup:

I’d cry tears of joy if this was an option:
RM4hWDk.jpg

Stolen pic:
ASV7Bc9.jpg
Wow. This would be great!

That oil sucker rod wood looks amazing, and has a touch of history attached to it, how could you NOT want that?!

I'm still leaning towards Blackwood or Ebony as long as we are assured it will be jet black, just imagine jet black with a classic banner shield and spam grease all rubbed into it.

I'm still leaning towards Blackwood or Ebony as long as we are assured it will be jet black, just imagine jet black with a classic banner shield and spam grease all rubbed into it.
Everything you said, except the spam grease:confused:

I was just taking one of the ebony mock ups and increasing it to size on my phone screen to get a sense for the scale of this thing. This is going to really be a dramatic knife I feel. I thought the ironwood #46 was very dramatic in size and scale and I think this one will be too. I'm excited for it! I am really feeling either the diamond or double bomb shield and a lanyard tube for this one as well.

I'm leaning heavily towards African Blackwood, but if Mike allows Tiger Maple as an option I think that's the route I'd go. Every 85 with Tiger Maple I've seen looks amazing.

love that knife...just looks so right! Which model is this?

Well you got the correct answer before I could get back:cool:

It was my knife and shows how much character Osage Orange has on a Barehead knife like the Viper. I gave it away as part of the funding in memory of our late comrade Big Biscuit, always remembered Bob :thumbsup:

Does anyone know what all the potential options could be, if limited to recently-used wood and no burls?

Credit @waverave
I only went back to 2015 :) Here is the full list...
African_Blackwood
American_Cherry_Wood
American_Chestnut_Wood
American_Walnut_Wood
Ancient_Kauri_Wood
Beer_Barrel_Oak_Wood
Birds_Eye_Maple_Wood
Black_Diamond_Wood
Black_Ebony_Wood
Bloodwood
Bocote_Wood
Brazilian_Rosewood