• Che Chen

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

knifeswapper

Knife Peddler
OK, have the response back from GEC on possible wood types. The "No" responses had reasons all the way from "too soft" to "no good sources left".

Yes's
African Blackwood
Bocote
Bloodwood
Ebony
Kingwood
Jobillo - Bolster/Shield finish must be brushed
Desert Ironwood - Bolster/Shield finish must be brushed
Osage Orange - Bolster/Shield finish must be brushed
No's
Snakewood - No
Oil Sucker Rod - No
Walnut - No
American Cherry - No
Wormy Chestnut - No
Palo Santos - No
Birds Eye Maple - No
Pine - No
Bog Oak - No
Olive - No
Beer Barrel Oak - No
Maybe's
Che Chen - Subject to new availability.
Cocobolo - Subject to new availability of CITES number supplier, not responsible for delivery
Brazilian Rosewood - Subject to new availability of CITES number supplier, not responsible for delivery
East Indian Rosewood - Subject to new availability of CITES number supplier, not responsible for delivery

Since the poll is limited to 10 options, I left off the two with "Rosewood" in their name because they have been found to get confiscated way more often by international dealers.

General questions should go back to the Core thread.

Last edited:
Ah man. Some of my favorites are not here but there are so many choices...

Would help if some members posted some of the woods mentioned above. I’m not familiar with some.

Wow! Awesome. Hard choice, gonna need to think about this one before I vote. Jobillo or kingwood are front runners for me.

There are a couple woods I am not familiar with, with a little bit of research, I may change my vote.
p.s.
I notice this poll started near the end of the work day, vote careful while driving home. ;)

Last edited:
African Blackwood for me. No doubt!..........hold on a minute. I may sway to jobillo due to satin finished bolster and shield. For now, and most likely throughout gonna stay with the AB though I believe. :)

Last edited:
Ah man. Some of my favorites are not here but there are so many choices...

Would help if some members posted some of the woods mentioned above. I’m not familiar with some.

Here's a Bloodwood and Kingwood for you. Bloodwood on the bottom. Both GEC.

PCZUt4X.jpg

Was hoping there would of been a burl wood option. I ended up voting for bloodwood, as I'm interested in a reddish wood for the forum knife, and it seems to have a more reddish tone than Che Chen.

Don't get me wrong I love ebony and african blackwood, but I'm hoping for something that is more unique this go around.

Mike thanks for keeping the postage risky timbers off the list...I know I'm in an overseas minority here so its nice that you have taken this into consideration.
Cheers.

I did not vote, I am sure it will turn out fine as all the others have. Kudos to Mike for undertaking this task! I have one question though? What is the difference in Ebony and African Blackwood? I LOVE my Ebony knives!

OK, have the response back from GEC on possible wood types. The "No" responses had reasons all the way from "too soft" to "no good sources left".

Yes's
African Blackwood
Bocote
Bloodwood
Ebony
Kingwood
Jobillo - Bolster/Shield finish must be brushed
Desert Ironwood - Bolster/Shield finish must be brushed
Osage Orange - Bolster/Shield finish must be brushed
No's
Snakewood - No
Oil Sucker Rod - No
Walnut - No
American Cherry - No
Wormy Chestnut - No
Palo Santos - No
Birds Eye Maple - No
Pine - No
Bog Oak - No
Olive - No
Beer Barrel Oak - No
Maybe's
Cocobolo - Subject to new availability of CITES number supplier, not responsible for delivery
Brazilian Rosewood - Subject to new availability of CITES number supplier, not responsible for delivery
East Indian Rosewood - Subject to new availability of CITES number supplier, not responsible for delivery
Che Chen - Subject to new availability of CITES number supplier, not responsible for delivery

Since the poll is limited to 10 options, I left off the two with "Rosewood" in their name because they have been found to get confiscated way more often by international dealers.

General questions should go back to the Core thread.

I am surprised that Brazilian Rosewood may be available. It is a CITES Schedule I specie, along with ivory and Rhino tusks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back