2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Autumn Gold. Burnt Sienna. Whatever. Shut up and take my money.
MaycGTA.jpg
I posted some time back about how the shield placement looked off in the production pictures, as if it were not centered between the pin holes. Looking at this completed example, I see how the backspring pin is a little larger than the cover pin, and the shield looks right. :cool::thumbsup:

Hey porch folks! I had a little extra money and some dealer points and decided to try the 29 as it seemed like a 35 Churchill with a punch and Osage is a cover I’ve not tried before. I think this one may top the 35 Churchill, but the jury is still out. The light pulls don’t bother me and the action is still quite nice—it isn’t knocking down any doors but it isn’t whispering either. I’m interested to see how the wood darkens over time.

3082B611-E446-4A51-94D8-6F958E2D6C2B.jpeg

I see how the backspring pin is a little larger than the cover pin, and the shield looks right.

I agree, r8shell. It seems like it must always be a compromise when they put a straight shield on a serpentine frame. The two different sized pins just compound the difficulty.

Why would the pins be different sizes on the bone covers than on the wood? My Osage pins are equally sized.

I had a Churchill but to me it was like a larger equal end jack handle with a little sheep foot stuck on the other end. Too bulky for what you got. Never took to it.

I've been sitting here this morning just playing with my #29. It has become one of my favorite fidget toys. The pull is only about a 4.5 but the 'snap' is strong on it. That makes it pretty fun to play with. :cool::thumbsup:

I was twirling it in my fingers the other night. Can't do that as well with my 4" knives

Autumn Gold. Burnt Sienna. Whatever. Shut up and take my money.
MaycGTA.jpg

Saw that on FB today. I was stoked to get a new acrylic, but seeing those covers on that particular knife... Thinking about where you would have found that knife, and the kind of hard work that pattern might have been put to in the 'pre-collector' days, that BSJB just creates a perfect picture. Being new to the GEC game, I still find my thoughts on them evolving. Somebody might be getting grits for Christmas... ;-)

Why would the pins be different sizes on the bone covers than on the wood? My Osage pins are equally sized.
It’s that the bone covers are textured and the wood covers are smooth. If it’s smooth they sand it flat so the pin is not much bigger that the hole it’s in but if the covers are textured the pin is spun and it’s bigger than the hole. It doesn’t matter that it’s wood or bone, textured wood would be spun pins and smooth bone wood be sanded flat.

I got one of the #29s in Grits with Butter & Molasses acrylic. I wasn't sure I was going to keep it. The main clip point's tip isn't proud, but because of the gaps made by the blades on each side there's enough space that it's pretty easy to get a finger in enough to catch on. It's probably not a practical issue, but something I noticed. I like low sitting sheepfoot blades, but I was also slightly concerned about the fact that the nail nick sits about as close as can be to the frame.

However, I decided to sharpen it and put it in my pocket and I've been enjoying it. I used it to slice up a longevity "peach" that a friend brought in to work. I also used the awl to pry my computer case open a bit (which somehow fixes the screen when it goes blank) several times.

E6sEWD2l.jpg

Hmmm, no "flesh only" etch on the spey? Ken told me at the Rendezvous they were supposed to have this etch but they received them (at the Rendezvous) without it, and that they were going back into the factory for the etch.

Back