2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

It's great that we all like different things. The punch really makes it for me.
Clip/sheepfoot/punch is a candidate for one of those knives I tell myself, "I won't need to buy another. This will cover all my knife needs." :D
We all know it won't stop my eye from wandering...

This pattern closely echos a black box Winchester 3 spring knife. I’m wonder if that was the inspiration.

Colin, I'm pretty sure you are correct, as Bill was at Queen when those were made, and the two patterns are almost identical, even down to the three springs. The Winchester black box was #3904, and had spey and pen secondaries with a clip main.

I really think the "brick" characterization of the three-spring knife is inaccurate. Krinked blades often have an extra catch bit or liner, usually made of brass, which is heavy. The three springs are almost always thinner than if it only had two, so there is very little additional width or weight. Straight blades contribute to more precise cutting over krinked blades, and often have less rub. They do circumvent some of the cutlers' art, but are really a joy to use. I think both two and three-spring knives have their place.

@black mamba

You're getting dangerously close to changing my mind with all that logic!
If it is anything like these Winchesters. sign me up!
This is going to be a Whittler....right?
Logan, let me give ya a extra nudge. I thought that this Winchester was going to be a bit bulky but I don't notice t in my pocket any more than most other other knives. Plus, it is a great little work horse of a knife and the punch is going to make it even more useful, for me.

Ya see that one shiny blade? Yeah, I could go for having a punch there..
45587321521_64e42ea789_h.jpg

The punch is actually a really useful tool. Just not sure about having a Sheeps AND Rams foot with it.

Wait...it isn't going to have a clip main?
Does anyone know for sure abut this?

I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain the mention of ram's foot on the production schedule is an error (as happens from time to time). The schedule also says "through June", which I'm sure is also an unadjusted tidbit...unless of course they plan on blasting through these in 8 days.

We’re all just making stuff up. When I read the list in post one, I see the Tidioute non SFOs with a Ramsfoot blade listed, looks to me like those will be ram/sheep/punch, hopefully the clip on the other offerings.

I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain the mention of ram's foot on the production schedule is an error (as happens from time to time). The schedule also says "through June", which I'm sure is also an unadjusted tidbit...unless of course they plan on blasting through these in 8 days.
Thank you, Ryan.
I do hope it is just an error.

We’re all just making stuff up. When I read the list in post one, I see the Tidioute non SFOs with a Ramsfoot blade listed, looks to me like those will be ram/sheep/punch, hopefully the clip on the other offerings.
Would ya stop it, y'all are getting me all flustered ! ;):D
Maybe replace the punch with a Lambsfoot for the trifecta. ;)

I assume it is an error as well. A sheepsfoot/ramsfoot combo knife doesn't make a lot of sense (or sound appealing to me). That clip and punch blade combo is what attracts me to this configuration.
It has to be. A sheepsfoot and what they've been calling a "Ramsfoot" are more or less the same blade. Having them on the same knife makes zero sense.

To be honest, I dont understand all the novelty of the "ramsfoot" anyway. We've had them for years. Y'all go look at the sheepsfoot in your #15s and see.

Last edited:
To my eye the clip blade seems too short for the frame. If so, why not make it longer? Or why design it shorter?

It has to be. A sheepsfoot and what they've been calling a "Ramsfoot" are more or less the same blade. Having them on the same knife makes zero sense.

To be honest, I dont understand all the novelty of the "ramsfoot" anyway. We've had them for years. Y'all go look at the sheepsfoot in your #15s and see.

I guess you've never seen the 53s with four (4!) Sheepfoot blades. Haha

To my eye the clip blade seems too short for the frame. If so, why not make it longer? Or why design it shorter?

I agree. I'm interested in the answers to these questions.

I'd imagine that's as long as they could make it and still keep the tip from being proud. The kick is pretty much non-existent, so it cant sit any lower.

Back