1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Jun 21, 2019.

1. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    I was initially kind of ambivalent to the 29s, but I'm warming up to them. I'll likely pick up one, just need to figure out which one ...
    Osage Orange Tidoute, Coffee House Acrylic SFO, or Smooth Appaloosa Bone SFO are on the short list at the moment.

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I was originally excited for the 29
    Then found out about the three springs
    But I'm warming up to it again.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  3. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Yeah, three springs with no liners won't be as much of a brick as I thought. Now I'm going to have to fall back on the "It's too short, wish it was on a bigger frame" excuse.

t.willy and JohnDF like this.
  4. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I was going to pass on these, but then realized I had an absence of Osage in my collection since parting with my Moose. Love the wood, love this size frame and the utility of the combination.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  5. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    This material continues to intrigue me...
    IMG_8726.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    cbr1000, t.willy, tmd_87 and 7 others like this.
  6. J_Curd

J_Curd Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Is anyone else really bummed that the new Humpback isn't a splitback whittler with a coping/pen as secondaries? I saw the image and got so excited...my inner whittler-fanatic is beside itself.

pmek5, t.willy, JohnDF and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Meh. It's black & white swirl. Certainly no butter in it.

waverave likes this.
  8. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Maybe the worst acrylic name ever. It intrigues me because Im still not exactly sure how those will look...but Im glad butter is not represented :)

9. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    That'll look good when shaped. I have a fob in "smoke" acrylic thats outstanding. I'm not really an acrylic fan on knives though, or this pattern really. Still interested to see how they turn out.

waverave likes this.
  10. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I just hope they don't come out too quick because I'm going to need one and my knife budget is screaming for mercy.

waverave likes this.
  11. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    They did some grits & molasses acrylic about 10 years ago on some #53s that didn't look that bad, So I think that's what they were going for. But what they've got going on now doesnt look much like that. The old one was creamy colored and the colors blended together, while this one looks stark white with hard lines between colors. (Not my image)

[​IMG]

When I originally saw it on the production schedule, I was hoping for something like dead skunk, except switch the red with an orangey yellow. I could got really into that.. Not the case though.

12. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    It definitely isn't what I had envisioned either. It seems this is more of a zebra or Oreo cookie acrylic :)

13. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Cookies & Creme acrylic!

Yes, that's what it would be called! They will probably end up changing the name of it like they did for the #35s and #85s.

cbr1000 and waverave like this.
  14. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    We will end up being shocked at the depth and beauty of the finished knives. I bet the white has depth like you find in many of the finished kirinites.

That's my prediction anyway! :)

t.willy, Matt_WY and waverave like this.
  15. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Perfect! It wouldn't surprise me if they change the name.

16. t.willy

t.willy

Mar 31, 2016

Kiteman72 likes this.
  17. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Yes. Although a punch looks cool, I really have no use for it. It would be a dead appendage for me.

A split back, humpback whittler would be amazeballs.

OtisCampbell and t.willy like this.
  18. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    GEC labeled this as Bloodwood for the NF #29...throwing us a curve ball perhaps? I don't see that on the production schedule :rolleyes:
    IMG_8828.jpg

Onearmbladenut, JohnDF and cbr1000 like this.
  19. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Hoping for a bloodwood Barlow :thumbsup:

Onearmbladenut and waverave like this.
  20. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Reckon it's a hush hush run of bloodwood, or they weren't able to procure the Snakewood at this time, and that is the replacement?

waverave and Kiteman72 like this.