2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Admittedly, the GEC hasn't come out yet but the Winchester looks a much better proportioned knife in my view. True, GEC is making its own interpretation by a different cache of blades, and that's laudable, but the BB has that bone which is very hard to better and slightly smaller bolsters on their knives-which I also prefer.

Here is a Winchester #3904 for comparison.

View attachment 1149182

Thanks, Will

I'm new to GEC so forgive a newbie question....

By the looks of the drawings...does this mean the 29 will be offered in 2-blade and 2 blade + punch options?

I like the 2 blade option. But at 3 1/2 inches ....a bit small for my tastes.

All questions are good questions! No, the top knives in the mock-ups have the punch folded, so they are there. All versions are 3-blades.

The good thing is if you don't want one with a punch the Maher&Grosh is being made with a spey instead of the punch. I'm thinking this run is going to put a hurting on my bank account.
Now that is something I might be very interested in..

Been laying low for a while now, but I'm all in on these. Three spring knives won't have liners separating them, so they won't be the boat anchors everyone is thinking. I have a Winchester version and the GEC version will be a Swiss army knife of a traditional. The punch to, we'll, punch or poke or remove splinters or clean finger nails or remove ring clips. The straight blade for what it was meant to do pierce and open and carve with a tip below the center line and the clip will be a slicer. It is going to be a looker as well. Can't wait!

29 looks great, coffee sfo sounds really nice or the NF snakewood but I’ll pass since I carry 2 knives the past few years and don’t really need a 3 blade knife when my traditional 1 or 2 blade and 2nd knife handle all tasks and still probably weigh less then the 3 blade 29.

The preproduction shots of the acrylic slabs are disappointing. I mean, I know know what grits & molasses acrylic looks like. So when they put "butter" into the name, I figured they would be throwing some gold/amber color into it. Turns out, its the same bland grits & molasses (so-dark-it-just-looks-like-black dark brown & white swirl) acrylic.

My guesses: No ramsfoot, knife will be as pictured. The two single sfo's will be 100pcs. The M&G will be 500pcs. The general production runs will be 400pcs each.
Mike, do you really think the Maher & Grosch version will be 500 knives? Or did you mean 50?

Mike, do you really think the Maher & Grosch version will be 500 knives? Or did you mean 50?

Typically they won't make less than 100 of anything - that sfo has 3 handle materials. It does list a cutlery club; but the rule has been 100 for add-ons and 500 for standalone's. My guess is the MG knife is a different variation of a standalone total of 500.

#29 Acrylic -- Outstanding & Reserved :D:):)

aDSCsYU.jpg

How do you guys know the M&G will have a spey instead of a punch?

it's listed on the production schedule

One of the owners of Maher&Grosh posted on another site that it will be a spey, also that it will be these 3 handles, Antique yellow jigged bone, smooth Appaloosa bone and Gabon Ebony

Well bummer! I had high Hope's for the 29 but its shaping up to be yet another I can enjoy through pictures and not have to purchase. I was really hoping for Tidioute, punch and micarta. Ebony being my 2nd choice. Oh well! It'll still be fun to watch them roll out.

Back