1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    That was going to be my guess, last minute Snakewood replacement. But I have been guessing pretty lousy today, so I'm probably wrong.

Bloodwood barlow would be pretty cool.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  2. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I think the bloodwood will look nice on the NF #29 hopefully with a good shield to compliment. I might prefer that to snakewood :thumbsup:

3. Kiro

Kiro Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I'd prefer snakewood over the bloodwood, mostly because I don't have any snakewood yet and that's what I pre-ordered. Well, it's not the first time GEC has switched up a pre-order on me. I get that things happen and they have to make a change. It'll look handsome on the frame.

4. biomed

biomed Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I opted for the autumn gold jigged bone. This is one of my favorites.

5. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    I am holding out on this one until I get some feedback of the knife in hand. GEC’s recent slump of lightly sprung knives has me very cautious. A 3 spring configuration offers a great platform for tuning spring strength. The punch needs to be an 8 and the main >6 or I will pass. I strongly believe this is why so many #97’s are still sitting on dealer shelves.

6. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    That is exactly how I feel about the 97’s. Unfortunately a lot of folks will report a new pattern has acceptable walk and talk and good spring pressure and then when you get one in hand you find out they aren’t really acceptable.

7. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    The 97s suffer from a combination of overproduction, light pulls (the opposite of what GEC is known/loved for) and the fact that they are heavy pocket hogs. I do have a couple that I like, but they are purely collector pieces for me.

I'm hoping the 29s are nicely sprung. I have a 3 spring GEC (a 54 whittler IIRC) that I wasn't all that thrilled with.

Still, I'm excited for the new acrylic and can't wait to see these finished.

Travman likes this.
  8. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I just looked at the GEC web-sight. #29 Northfield "bloodwood" scales. I already put in a pre-order on snakewood. They might be doing both. GEC is always full of crazy surprises ! Some great , some not so great.

9. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    Ya, bummer. Snakewood is the only handle material I’m interested in with this pattern.

cbr1000 and Onearmbladenut like this.
  10. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I think a punch on a knife is useless . All these #29 knives should have beer cap openers , not punches. I want the snakewood #29. No snakewood , no #29 knife for me.

bax229 likes this.
  11. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    In a world of twist off bottlecaps we DEMAND cap lifters! /sarcasm

You may enjoy knowing the M&G sfo's will have a spay instead of the punch.

Onearmbladenut, Boxer .45 and t.willy like this.
  12. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I prefer a punch over a spey. I don't need two curved blades that are redundant. Depending on the punch design, yes the punches can vary greatly, other tasks can be performed. The punches that were put in the diamond harness jacks (cc sfo) are an awesome variation. The milled punches on the 53, 85 etc are great for other tasks. I can't wait for this run.

gaj999, Sabercat, Matt_WY and 2 others like this.
  13. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Each to his own!! AS a student of punches, I am delighted to see every creative punch that GEC comes up with. A caplifter on such a knife would be a misfit for such a traditional pattern. However M&Gs variation will be interesting indeed!!

14. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I have many uses for a punch and very little for a spey. The punch blade is what attracts me to this pattern...I hope it is a nice one!

MCar, gaj999, Matt_WY and 6 others like this.
  15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    This is the first pattern I'm excited about buying since the run of #14s.
    At first I was a little put off by the three springs, but now I'm kind of excited to have something a little different in my small collection.

16. JA5544

JA5544

Apr 1, 2016
    Where are you all pre-ordering knives?

17. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I'm excited to see these, too. The only thing I felt would make the Churchill better would be a punch blade, so I've been hoping for this blade combination for a while.
    [​IMG]

Onearmbladenut, gaj999, GE Jr and 6 others like this.
  18. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Lol! I prefer the spear main myself! :D
    20190712_174829.jpg

gaj999, GE Jr, t.willy and 3 others like this.
  19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    It's like some kind of magic...

Travman likes this.
  20. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I'm afraid both would be just too much.
    [​IMG]
    :D

Dschal, gaj999, GE Jr and 4 others like this.