2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Reckon it's a hush hush run of bloodwood, or they weren't able to procure the Snakewood at this time, and that is the replacement?
That was going to be my guess, last minute Snakewood replacement. But I have been guessing pretty lousy today, so I'm probably wrong.

Bloodwood barlow would be pretty cool.

I'd prefer snakewood over the bloodwood, mostly because I don't have any snakewood yet and that's what I pre-ordered. Well, it's not the first time GEC has switched up a pre-order on me. I get that things happen and they have to make a change. It'll look handsome on the frame.

I am holding out on this one until I get some feedback of the knife in hand. GEC’s recent slump of lightly sprung knives has me very cautious. A 3 spring configuration offers a great platform for tuning spring strength. The punch needs to be an 8 and the main >6 or I will pass. I strongly believe this is why so many #97’s are still sitting on dealer shelves.

I am holding out on this one until I get some feedback of the knife in hand. GEC’s recent slump of lightly sprung knives has me very cautious. A 3 spring configuration offers a great platform for tuning spring strength. The punch needs to be an 8 and the main >6 or I will pass. I strongly believe this is why so many #97’s are still sitting on dealer shelves.
That is exactly how I feel about the 97’s. Unfortunately a lot of folks will report a new pattern has acceptable walk and talk and good spring pressure and then when you get one in hand you find out they aren’t really acceptable.

That is exactly how I feel about the 97’s. Unfortunately a lot of folks will report a new pattern has acceptable walk and talk and good spring pressure and then when you get one in hand you find out they aren’t really acceptable.
The 97s suffer from a combination of overproduction, light pulls (the opposite of what GEC is known/loved for) and the fact that they are heavy pocket hogs. I do have a couple that I like, but they are purely collector pieces for me.

I'm hoping the 29s are nicely sprung. I have a 3 spring GEC (a 54 whittler IIRC) that I wasn't all that thrilled with.

Still, I'm excited for the new acrylic and can't wait to see these finished.

Snakewood coming my way :)
I just looked at the GEC web-sight. #29 Northfield "bloodwood" scales. I already put in a pre-order on snakewood. They might be doing both. GEC is always full of crazy surprises ! Some great , some not so great.

I think a punch on a knife is useless . All these #29 knives should have beer cap openers , not punches. I want the snakewood #29. No snakewood , no #29 knife for me.

I prefer a punch over a spey. I don't need two curved blades that are redundant. Depending on the punch design, yes the punches can vary greatly, other tasks can be performed. The punches that were put in the diamond harness jacks (cc sfo) are an awesome variation. The milled punches on the 53, 85 etc are great for other tasks. I can't wait for this run.

I prefer a punch over a spey. I don't need two curved blades that are redundant. Depending on the punch design, yes the punches can vary greatly, other tasks can be performed. The punches that were put in the diamond harness jacks (cc sfo) are an awesome variation. The milled punches on the 53, 85 etc are great for other tasks. I can't wait for this run.
I have many uses for a punch and very little for a spey. The punch blade is what attracts me to this pattern...I hope it is a nice one!

This is the first pattern I'm excited about buying since the run of #14s.
At first I was a little put off by the three springs, but now I'm kind of excited to have something a little different in my small collection.
I'm excited to see these, too. The only thing I felt would make the Churchill better would be a punch blade, so I've been hoping for this blade combination for a while.
Ospr5Z0.jpg

Back